Neighborhood Parking Harassment and Confrontations. Please help

hideyspidey

Hi Hidey,

I feel for you with problems with the neighbours,sounds to me as you have some on the verge of being ASBOd or tagged! Especially when you describe the parking area,if you are going to park you vehicle there,do you have provision to monitor them, an A class windscreen could be quite tempting for a bottle or brick. As for the posters on here,as with any forum you will find some belligerent troll like idiots,some who don't read the original posts in their entirety and then start 'shooting from the hip'. Just listen to the best advice and ignore them.

Happy trails.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeti - 2015-03-12 10:15 AM

Especially when you describe the parking area,if you are going to park you vehicle there,do you have provision to monitor them, an A class windscreen could be quite tempting for a bottle or brick.

That's a good point!

..and all the more reason to get it shifted well away from them. :-S

Hidey'..

What area are you in?...maybe someone on here will know of/could advise on some possible storage sites?

Last year, in the small Shropshire town where we spend most of our time, someone parked a tatty 33 year old A class in the access area to the community hospital and a housing association cul-de-sac. After a while when it became clear this wasn't temporary there was a complaint to the police because the delivery lorries couldn't use their turning area. The police spoke to the owner, who lived a few hundred metres away, and it turned out he was off on holiday the next day. Two months later, at the beginning of September it came back and he parked it in the visitors' parking area for the cul-de-sac, just in front of someone's house.

A couple of weeks ago someone told me that the engine had been sabotaged by draining the oil and that it seized when he had to move it away for a while because the space was needed for drilling machinery; but that seemed unlikely. However, this morning there are three sheets of paper taped inside the windscreen. The writing on these sheets says that the van has been vandalised and is being taken away for a new engine but WILL BE BACK. There is a long diatribe about harassment, ASB etc. and it seems clear that this has been an ongoing saga.

There are 4 or 5 equally tatty home conversions that live on the car park 100 metres down the road, which nobody minds, and his van is no bigger than some of those, so he could have parked there but he seems to have a bit of an attitude problem and knows his rights. Surprise, at least one person has got his own attitude problem.

Had Enough - 2015-03-11 9:30 PM

Joe90 - 2015-03-11 9:07 PM

Well lets hope the rest of the road doesn't "take any notice" and all get two cars and a thumping great motorhome that they also want to park in their road, and that's the crux of the matter it's their road regardless of whether they have a vehicle or not...............some common sense in spades on this from other forum users, but sorry, your attitude is both ridiculous, and anti social, little wonder we have such a tough time of it in the UK given that sort of attitude to ones neighbours, I suppose the OP could give them all a two finger salute as they climb into their van as well, that's pretty spontaneous these days for many.

Now don't be a silly billy! Don't you know that motorhoming is all about spontaneity? Just imagine the scene one afternoon in the R&J household as they sit there watching Countdown.

"I say Jean old thing, how do you fancy nipping off to France for a month or two? Come on old girl, you can leave the washing up until we get back"

"That's a spiffing idea Robert, I'll get my handbag."

"Oh, just realised something old girl, the dashed motorhome is five miles away on that storage site we put it on after we kept getting bricks through our window when we had it on the road."

"Oh well Robert, never mind, it was a good idea but it's far too much trouble to go and get it, we'll stay at home instead and besides, that nice Noel Edmonds is on next with that Deal or No Deal. That's always fun."

People can't possibly be expected to enjoy motorhoming if they have to go and pick it up from somewhere, so stop being totally unreasonable. I mean, all that putting stuff in it and taking it out, far too much trouble! (lol)

Nice bit of humour Frank, enjoyed it. Just one point we never watch these quiz show things, far too common, much prefer arts programmes on BBC Four!

Back to having van in storage, then clearly you have little choice and therefore make best of it and that's fine. We would find it irksome which is one reason we have not downsized our property. Regarding spontenaity, then it is great to just get up and go which is why we have joined the Britstop scheme, so will see how that works out for short get aways, with no pre-booking etc, between our French and other trips.

Joe you are not often so aggressive with us! But if you read again posts from OP it clearly is the neighbours who are disagreeable and awkward which is why we suggested action we did.

Hope OP does not think we have made things worse for her on here, just putting forward a view that we felt supported her.

robertandjean - 2015-03-12 11:12 AM

Had Enough - 2015-03-11 9:30 PM

Joe90 - 2015-03-11 9:07 PM

Well lets hope the rest of the road doesn't "take any notice" and all get two cars and a thumping great motorhome that they also want to park in their road, and that's the crux of the matter it's their road regardless of whether they have a vehicle or not...............some common sense in spades on this from other forum users, but sorry, your attitude is both ridiculous, and anti social, little wonder we have such a tough time of it in the UK given that sort of attitude to ones neighbours, I suppose the OP could give them all a two finger salute as they climb into their van as well, that's pretty spontaneous these days for many.

Now don't be a silly billy! Don't you know that motorhoming is all about spontaneity? Just imagine the scene one afternoon in the R&J household as they sit there watching Countdown.

"I say Jean old thing, how do you fancy nipping off to France for a month or two? Come on old girl, you can leave the washing up until we get back"

"That's a spiffing idea Robert, I'll get my handbag."

"Oh, just realised something old girl, the dashed motorhome is five miles away on that storage site we put it on after we kept getting bricks through our window when we had it on the road."

"Oh well Robert, never mind, it was a good idea but it's far too much trouble to go and get it, we'll stay at home instead and besides, that nice Noel Edmonds is on next with that Deal or No Deal. That's always fun."

People can't possibly be expected to enjoy motorhoming if they have to go and pick it up from somewhere, so stop being totally unreasonable. I mean, all that putting stuff in it and taking it out, far too much trouble! (lol)

Nice bit of humour Frank, enjoyed it. Just one point we never watch these quiz show things, far too common, much prefer arts programmes on BBC Four!

Back to having van in storage, then clearly you have little choice and therefore make best of it and that's fine. We would find it irksome which is one reason we have not downsized our property. Regarding spontenaity, then it is great to just get up and go which is why we have joined the Britstop scheme, so will see how that works out for short get aways, with no pre-booking etc, between our French and other trips.

Joe you are not often so aggressive with us! But if you read again posts from OP it clearly is the neighbours who are disagreeable and awkward which is why we suggested action we did.

Hope OP does not think we have made things worse for her on here, just putting forward a view that we felt supported her.

Can see what Frank means but have to kind of agree with RandJ . When we bought a house that didn't quite work for us with motorhome as we thought it would and we didn't want to put it on the road we had to put it in storage

Storage was only three mile off but after always having motor on drive and always been able to clean and do as you want , when you want it didn't sit well with us

As for going off it was a bit of a pain too ... Fill the other motor with your gear , go to storage and then fill motorhome with gear , come back and same carry on

Obviously some folk have no option but to put in storage or others prefer to but for us drive is best and I can understand folk like RandJ who I presume are retired that it'such easier to just say c'mon let's go when it's on the drive

For me the question is would a neighbourhood and individual property owners like a motorhome parked outside, next to or opposite their houses. For me legality is a side issue. It's all about being a good neighbour and doing what is right for the majority and not just yourself. The jealousy comment is ridiculous as many people are not remotely envious of having a motorhome holiday. My friends constantly joke about my holiday arrangements and ask when I'm going to have a proper one. They might like luxuriating on a beach in Barbados but I do not! On a related point, when I put my last house up for sale the estate agent advised me to move my motorhome from the drive as motorhomes, boats and caravans parked on a drive spoil the appearance of a property and could affect its marketability and price.

My neighbour takes the unreasonable stance of objecting to any cars parked outside my own house as any vehicles obstruct her view pulling out onto the road which is a cul de sac with about 20 vehicle movements a day. While I consider this request to be unreasonable the neighbour clearly does not so I comply in order to be a good neighbour. Fortunately I have a large drive so have the option to park there and I ask my visitors to do likewise.

In this particular case I would say that keeping a motorhome on a street of terraced houses is unreasonable. While the motorhome owner in this case thinks he is a good guy - and perhaps he is - the fact the neighbour in question is not a good neighbour does not mean he should not have consideration for others. The chances are that other neighbours are not happy with the present parking arrangement but are reluctant to object.

The OP should do the right thing and park his motorhome in storage.

antony1969 - 2015-03-12 11:47 AM

Obviously some folk have no option but to put in storage or others prefer to but for us drive is best and I can understand folk like RandJ who I presume are retired that it'such easier to just say c'mon let's go when it's on the drive

Yes it's on the drive or nothing for me - just couldn't be bothered with having to use a storage facility.

And as for spontaneity, I left 2 perfectly good cars on the driveway yesterday and took our's out to do the shopping at Tesco. Just fancied a drive on the spur of the moment..

Guest Had Enough

For many people spontaneity is a bit of a myth. Many of us just can't decide to zoom off at five minutes' notice, but if for instance we decided to have a weekend away the fact that I'd have to drive five miles, swap my car for the motorhome and then drive it home wouldn't put me off.

That might add an hour or so and if your time away is so critical that any extra hour or two will not make it worthwhile it couldn't have been worthwhile in the first place.

All of my motorhome holidays are planned in advance according to my diary and other commitments. We may have a five-week slot booked in, in say May/June, but it's in that slot that spontaneity occurs and there've been times when we've ended up in a different country in addition to the one planned.

And there's no need to empty the 'van if it's in secure storage. You can leave in all the same stuff as you would if it were on your drive.

But what I find unbelievable is people claiming that if they couldn't keep their MH on the drive and had to go and collect it from somewhere, they'd give up motorhoming.

Well, if that's the case they're obviously not too bothered about motorhoming in the first place and clearly don't enjoy it enough to put up with a minor inconvenience.

Now that I do find odd! Are they really going to give up something that they've invested a lot of money in just because they no longer have a drive to keep it on? Are they suddenly going to swap to a completely different holiday pattern?

Come on folks, pull the other one! ;-)

I do wonder how the thousands of people who don't keep their MH or caravan on their drive manage, it must be awful for them! *-)

Had Enough - 2015-03-12 3:35 PM

For many people spontaneity is a bit of a myth. Many of us just can't decide to zoom off at five minutes' notice, but if for instance we decided to have a weekend away the fact that I'd have to drive five miles, swap my car for the motorhome and then drive it home wouldn't put me off.

That might add an hour or so and if your time away is so critical that any extra hour or two will not make it worthwhile it couldn't have been worthwhile in the first place.

All of my motorhome holidays are planned in advance according to my diary and other commitments. We may have a five-week slot booked in, in say May/June, but it's in that slot that spontaneity occurs and there've been times when we've ended up in a different country in addition to the one planned.

And there's no need to empty the 'van if it's in secure storage. You can leave in all the same stuff as you would if it were on your drive.

But what I find unbelievable is people claiming that if they couldn't keep their MH on the drive and had to go and collect it from somewhere, they'd give up motorhoming.

Well, if that's the case they're obviously not too bothered about motorhoming in the first place and clearly don't enjoy it enough to put up with a minor inconvenience.

Now that I do find odd! Are they really going to give up something that they've invested a lot of money in just because they no longer have a drive to keep it on? Are they suddenly going to swap to a completely different holiday pattern?

Come on folks, pull the other one! ;-)

I do wonder how the thousands of people who don't keep their MH or caravan on their drive manage, it must be awful for them! *-)

I have to agree totally. We have to drive 30mins (depends on traffic) to collect our van. not a problem, and much better than keeping on drive all the time. If kept on drive, when it disappears , it tells the would be thieves that you are away!! We also live in a cul de sac, with most houses have 2 or 3 cars, fortunately, all have double drives, and garages, (which no one puts there cars in) but it still causes parking probs at times, if some one has a party, or lots of visitors. I can see that if you still work, you don't have the time that we have to go where and when you want to, but it is not a chore collecting the van, and just putting food and clothes in and go.

Each to his own

PJay

Guest Had Enough
Steve928 - 2015-03-12 4:03 PM

PJay - 2015-03-12 3:52 PM

Each to his own

PJay

Amen to that.

Please note that some of us can state what 'our own' is without the need to rant against those that don't agree with it.

Who has ever suggested that it isn't each to his own? My point, which seems unarguable, is that if someone is prepared to give up motorhoming just because they may have to drive a short distance to a storage site, they can't be all that bothered about motorhoming in the first place.

It's like saying: "Oh, they've introduced extra security at airports and we have to get there a bit earlier so we're no longer going to fly anywhere. Anyone taking that stance clearly isn't too bothered about going on holiday.

Each to his own. Couldn't agree more, but I choose not to believe some of you! I think that if push came to shove many people would carry on motorhoming and suffer the mild inconvenience of storing a 'van.

That may not be you of course, you may well be one of the people who would pack it in completely and if that's what you'd do, good luck to you.

I wouldn't pack in motorhoming .. In my opinion and experience of parking on drive and storage I have to say storage in my humble view is a bit of a pain

Others views on it and experiences of storage may differ and they may have no problem with it , if so good on ya

Guest Had Enough
PJay - 2015-03-12 3:52 PM

I have to agree totally. We have to drive 30mins (depends on traffic) to collect our van. not a problem, and much better than keeping on drive all the time. If kept on drive, when it disappears , it tells the would be thieves that you are away!! We also live in a cul de sac, with most houses have 2 or 3 cars, fortunately, all have double drives, and garages, (which no one puts there cars in) but it still causes parking probs at times, if some one has a party, or lots of visitors. I can see that if you still work, you don't have the time that we have to go where and when you want to, but it is not a chore collecting the van, and just putting food and clothes in and go.

Each to his own

PJay

And there's not only the risk of thieves knowing that you've gone away as that big white thing that's always there no longer is, there's also a much greater chance of theft from, and damage to, your 'van.

Motorhomes seldom, if ever, get stolen or broken into if stored on secure CaSSOA sites.

I can fit my 'van on my drive but I'm not going to. It's anti-social and shows scant regard for your neighbours. I'd rather suffer a mild inconvenience than upset others just so I can do what I want.

It's clear that some people, such as R&J, can put their 'van out of site and they're lucky to have that option but just imagine if several people on a short cul-de-sac all decided that they were going to put a motorhome or caravan on the road or even on the drive? People may have a change of heart when their property values take a dive.

It may be legal but so what? It's not illegal for a neighbour to let his garden become an unkempt jungle full of rubbish and broken electrical appliances or old bikes, but is he being responsible and showing consideration for others?

Guest Had Enough
antony1969 - 2015-03-12 5:04 PM

I wouldn't pack in motorhoming .. In my opinion and experience of parking on drive and storage I have to say storage in my humble view is a bit of a pain

And that I suspect is the attitude that most people would take if push came to shove. The ideal situation is to have your 'van by the side of your house where you can access it quickly and plug in a power lead if necessary. That goes without saying.

So yes, storage is a bit of a pain, no one's denying that, but it's a minor inconvenience in the overall picture and anyone stopping motorhoming because he has to go a few miles to a storage site can't be too enthusiastic a motorhomer to start with. But just to be clear, if that's their stance, that's their right, but I believe that few people would pack it in when it came to it, they'd balance the advantages and disadvantages and plump to carry on.

Finally, this is only a problem if you're the sort of person who can just drop everything and zoom off with no notice. I can't but when we do go away I bring my 'van home four days before our holiday so I can nip in and out whenever I want. When we return I do the same thing and take my time cleaning it etc.

My neighbours are very happy because they know that it's only going to be there for a short time and no one ever complains.

Had Enough - 2015-03-12 5:15 PM

antony1969 - 2015-03-12 5:04 PM

And that I suspect is the attitude that most people would take if push came to shove. The ideal situation is to have your 'van by the side of your house where you can access it quickly and plug in a power lead if necessary. That goes without saying.

So yes, storage is a bit of a pain, no one's denying that, but it's a minor inconvenience in the overall picture and anyone stopping motorhoming because he has to go a few miles to a storage site can't be too enthusiastic a motorhomer to start with. But just to be clear, if that's their stance, that's their right, but I believe that few people would pack it in when it came to it, they'd balance the advantages and disadvantages and plump to carry on.

Finally, this is only a problem if you're the sort of person who can just drop everything and zoom off with no notice. I can't but when we do go away I bring my 'van home four days before our holiday so I can nip in and out whenever I want. When we return I do the same thing and take my time cleaning it etc.

My neighbours are very happy because they know that it's only going to be there for a short time and no one ever complains.

When parked at home Frank I presume it's on the drive ? Why would or should the neighbours have any reason to complain if so ? It's a new motor obviously not an eye sore

Guest Had Enough
antony1969 - 2015-03-12 5:18 PM

When parked at home Frank I presume it's on the drive ? Why would or should the neighbours have any reason to complain if so ? It's a new motor obviously not an eye sore

Yes, it's on the drive but it's a huge white box and if every drive had an enormous motorhome or caravan on it, or even on the street, which some seem to think is acceptable, it would ruin what is an attractive tree-lined road with nice houses and nice gardens.

People coming to view a house they're thinking of buying would be put off and it would do nothing for property values.

Of course this is subjective. Some people may not find a road full of caravans and motorhomes to be unsightly, but I know that I would and I suspect that many others would.

Some may remember we had a Rapido @ 6.5 Mtrs. We did all we wanted in 6 years with no problems. There came a time when many disadvantages arose that made using it less enjoyable.

One was that as families nearby aged, their children eventually became car owners with movements on and off our drive becoming less enjoyable due to others parking.

The decision to sell was the outcome. We don't miss it. We can still have the odd night away in the VW. It was a simple answer to an annoying situation.

I could have complained to the car owners and we could have used a secure site, but following Frank's comment, yes in reality we'd had enough of it. We adjusted and life continues.

PS and yes a large white box that was taller than all the hedges was another factor.

Will

Interesting thread! :-D Its title is not "temporary parking lights required": is it? The OP's detailed account acts as pre-justification for an act that I think he had already realised was somewhat ill-judged. He seems to have expected, in return, blind support from his fellow motorhomers. In that, he somewhat misjudged the nature and wit of his fellow motorhomers, a majority of whom suggested that he should reconsider his actions.

No-one attacked him, no-one insulted him, but it seems he now feels attacked and insulted. I don't think he was, but I agree that he had a lot of people, me included, telling him in various ways that he was really the author of his own misfortune. I'm sure that was unwelcome, but it was no act of disloyalty: quite the reverse. It was friends telling him what he could not quite bring himself to see, which is what true friends are for.

He says he will now move the van, but not where to. If he means just moving his van round the back, as I understand him to mean, this won't cut the mustard either. He referred to covenants, which he said this manoeuvre would "stuff". It won't: it will probably have the effect of throwing petrol on the embers. I apologise if I have misunderstood his intention over this, but his best course of action, under the circumstances he describes, and as advised by a number of other contributors, is to get his van out of the neighbourhood and into secure storage. Inconvenient, of course, and costly - but safe and unprovocative.

For so long as his neighbours are provoked by the presence of his van (whatever their reasons), the van will be vulnerable. If his description of his more aggressive and confrontational neighbours is accurate, I should not want to leave my motorhome anywhere they could get at it, let alone leaving it within their reach at night and all day while out working. Were it vandalised, how would he know who was the vandal? Who would identify the culprit? Who would have seen or heard what happened? What could he then do, except claim on his insurance and suffer the resulting expense?

He really has few realistic alternatives: move to a better neighbourhood, replace his van with something more acceptable to his neighbours, or mount a 24 hour watch on his house, his van, and his cars. It is a shame that it is so, but that is where I think he is. I shouldn't like it either, and I don't think it is fair on him, but something has to give in order to placate his neighbours. If they are not placated, I think his life will become a complete misery. I hope it won't.

As you say all a matter of opinion. ... Personally I don't find clean caravans / motorhomes unsightly at all on drives

My drive even though reasonably out of view has a roofing van and motorhome that cost more than any of the BMWs or pretend 4x4s parked up others drives , for me if any neighbour complained I would be pretty miffed , if my house was a sh&thole littered with junk then complain away

Different view and all that

Brian Kirby - 2015-03-12 5:36 PM

Interesting thread! :-D Its title is not "temporary parking lights required": is it? The OP's detailed account acts as pre-justification for an act that I think he had already realised was somewhat ill-judged. He seems to have expected, in return, blind support from his fellow motorhomers. In that, he somewhat misjudged the nature and wit of his fellow motorhomers, a majority of whom suggested that he should reconsider his actions....

See hideyspidey’s forum profile...

Guest Joe90
Derek Uzzell - 2015-03-12 6:44 PM

Brian Kirby - 2015-03-12 5:36 PM

Interesting thread! :-D Its title is not "temporary parking lights required": is it? The OP's detailed account acts as pre-justification for an act that I think he had already realised was somewhat ill-judged. He seems to have expected, in return, blind support from his fellow motorhomers. In that, he somewhat misjudged the nature and wit of his fellow motorhomers, a majority of whom suggested that he should reconsider his actions....

See hideyspidey’s forum profile...

A boy named Sue. a mistake anyone could make I guess,

We are lucky we can park our motorhome tucked away almost out of on our drive and still have room for three cars on the drive (our own and say two visitors). We've given up looking now,but we were thinking of down sizing. The three sticking points have always been room sizes, lack of garden space and lack,of,space for the motorhome. Shame that so many very nice modern houses are built with almost no garden and small drives that will all too often only accommodate one car.

We've down sized the motor home from a big white AutoTrail to a silver AutoSleeper PVC. I must say in silver it does tend to blend in much better.

As far as security goes if anyone goes anywhere near the car and motorhome on our drive between 8 pm and 8 am it sounds an alarm in our bedroom. Whilst we are away the house is protected by CCTV and a very good alarm system. Our neighbours are both in the police!

my two pence for what its worth

I can remember my father putting one of those little lights which were white to the front and red to the rear whenever he parked the car on the side of a road at night. it clipped into the window.

as to parking, my insurance states that I can only park on the roadside for short periods of time ie to load and unload or clean and or service it. the rest of the time its in storage for which I get a discount because its a secure site.

we get on very well with our neighbours especially now my Chrissy has cancer they have been very supportive and I could never thank them enough.I would never even think about upsetting anyone. we are on this earth just the once and I think its a shame when we cant get on

Archived