Neighborhood Parking Harassment and Confrontations. Please help

hideyspidey

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2015-03-12 5:15 PM

My neighbours are very happy because they know that it's only going to be there for a short time and no one ever complains.

I bet they don't - too busy celebrating you are going away (lol)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2015-03-12 5:26 PM

antony1969 - 2015-03-12 5:18 PM

When parked at home Frank I presume it's on the drive ? Why would or should the neighbours have any reason to complain if so ? It's a new motor obviously not an eye sore

Yes, it's on the drive but it's a huge white box and if every drive had an enormous motorhome or caravan on it, or even on the street, which some seem to think is acceptable, it would ruin what is an attractive tree-lined road with nice houses and nice gardens.

People coming to view a house they're thinking of buying would be put off and it would do nothing for property values.

Of course this is subjective. Some people may not find a road full of caravans and motorhomes to be unsightly, but I know that I would and I suspect that many others would.

You find it unsightly to park a motorhome outside your house, but alright to stagger through a motorway restaurant dragging a juggernaut behemoth sized one of these

Derek Uzzell - 2015-03-12 6:44 PM

Brian Kirby - 2015-03-12 5:36 PM

Interesting thread! :-D Its title is not "temporary parking lights required": is it? The OP's detailed account acts as pre-justification for an act that I think he had already realised was somewhat ill-judged. He seems to have expected, in return, blind support from his fellow motorhomers. In that, he somewhat misjudged the nature and wit of his fellow motorhomers, a majority of whom suggested that he should reconsider his actions....

See hideyspidey’s forum profile...

Ah! Didn't, did I? Same sentiments, but please read "he" as gender neutral. :-)

Had Enough - 2015-03-12 4:51 PM

Steve928 - 2015-03-12 4:03 PM

PJay - 2015-03-12 3:52 PM

Each to his own

PJay

Amen to that.

Please note that some of us can state what 'our own' is without the need to rant against those that don't agree with it.

Who has ever suggested that it isn't each to his own? My point, which seems unarguable, is that if someone is prepared to give up motorhoming just because they may have to drive a short distance to a storage site, they can't be all that bothered about motorhoming in the first place.

It's like saying: "Oh, they've introduced extra security at airports and we have to get there a bit earlier so we're no longer going to fly anywhere. Anyone taking that stance clearly isn't too bothered about going on holiday.

Each to his own. Couldn't agree more, but I choose not to believe some of you! I think that if push came to shove many people would carry on motorhoming and suffer the mild inconvenience of storing a 'van.

That may not be you of course, you may well be one of the people who would pack it in completely and if that's what you'd do, good luck to you.

Now come on Frank, of course what you say is not unarguable, well we are certainly going to argue against it as are sure you would expect no less of us! Having been motorvanners for over 35 years, and toured most of Europe including UK in that time, you can not say we are not enthusiastic for our pastime. Yet we would not continue if we had to keep van in storage rather than next to our bungalow. We would find it just too much trouble but more than that spoil what for us is the motorhoming lifestyle. We are now for example in Newark in our van for the weekend. We set off this morning, but until yesterday evening did not know we would be able to get away; then our daughter was able to change her child care arrangements so we were not required today. As van was at home we were able to put fridge on, and heater on timer, last night then pop some fresh food and bite in this morning and away. If had been in storage would we have bothered then think not, as also will be back late Sunday, following nice evening meal in pub on way home too late to put back in storage. So sorry Frank once again you have lost your argument with us!!!!

Guest Had Enough
robertandjean - 2015-03-13 5:18 PM

Now come on Frank, of course what you say is not unarguable, well we are certainly going to argue against it as are sure you would expect no less of us! Having been motorvanners for over 35 years, and toured most of Europe including UK in that time, you can not say we are not enthusiastic for our pastime. Yet we would not continue if we had to keep van in storage rather than next to our bungalow. We would find it just too much trouble but more than that spoil what for us is the motorhoming lifestyle. We are now for example in Newark in our van for the weekend. We set off this morning, but until yesterday evening did not know we would be able to get away; then our daughter was able to change her child care arrangements so we were not required today. As van was at home we were able to put fridge on, and heater on timer, last night then pop some fresh food and bite in this morning and away. If had been in storage would we have bothered then think not, as also will be back late Sunday, following nice evening meal in pub on way home too late to put back in storage. So sorry Frank once again you have lost your argument with us!!!!

First I don't ever remember losing an argument with you. You must remind me which one that was! (lol)

But you've just proved my point. The spontaneous weekend that you talk about represents a fraction of your total motorhoming life, the bulk of which I suspect is spent on holidays that are planned, both here and abroad.

So you admit that because you'd lose the odd spontaneous weekend, you'd give up the rest of your many weeks of motorhoming.

If that's the case then you are clearly not as enthusiastic about motorhoming as you claim. It's pretty unarguable I'm afraid.

I would not give up my motorhoming because my 'van's in storage. Like many more members here mine is in storage and yet we manage to have a good motorhoming life. It's obvious that we're a lot keener than you are as you'd let the slightest inconvenience scupper the entire thing!

Sorry, you're not convincing me!

Two different approaches to the same thing. Why does the one need to be convinced of the other's viewpoint? Just accept it as part of life's rich pattern. Arguing over it seems pointless.

All the world old is queer save thee and me, and even thou art a little queer (Robert Owen). :-D

We can park Herbie on our drive quite easily but choose to store him a few miles away for a few hundred quid per year. We can be spontaneous if we want and swap the car for Herbie and drive off leaving the car where the van was. When we need to clean the van etc he stays on the house drive for a day or two before heading back to storage. No probles and quite easy.

Guest Had Enough
Brian Kirby - 2015-03-13 6:28 PM

Two different approaches to the same thing. Why does the one need to be convinced of the other's viewpoint? Just accept it as part of life's rich pattern. Arguing over it seems pointless.

All the world old is queer save thee and me, and even thou art a little queer (Robert Owen). :-D

No one has argued about having a different approach. Some of us prefer not to have or 'vans on our drives and to keep them in secure storage. Some who have space still prefer to keep the MH in storage, it's not always because it's forced on them.

Others like to have their 'van on the drive, and as long as they're not affecting others that's their right and no one has ever said it isn't.

But one man said that if he had to go to the trouble of collecting his 'van from storage, he'd pack in motorhoming completely. That to me suggests that he really can't be all that bothered about his pastime. He is now trying to convince us that he is very keen on motorhoming, but the evidence says something very different!

It's a bit like someone claiming to love playing tennis but refusing to do so because the nearest club is a five-mile drive. *-) Come on folks! ;-)

Guest Had Enough
Abcheetham - 2015-03-13 6:40 PM

We can park Herbie on our drive quite easily but choose to store him a few miles away for a few hundred quid per year. We can be spontaneous if we want and swap the car for Herbie and drive off leaving the car where the van was. When we need to clean the van etc he stays on the house drive for a day or two before heading back to storage. No probles and quite easy.

Precisely! :D :D

Had Enough - 2015-03-13 6:15 PM

robertandjean - 2015-03-13 5:18 PM

First I don't ever remember losing an argument with you. You must remind me which one that was! (lol)

But you've just proved my point. The spontaneous weekend that you talk about represents a fraction of your total motorhoming life, the bulk of which I suspect is spent on holidays that are planned, both here and abroad.

So you admit that because you'd lose the odd spontaneous weekend, you'd give up the rest of your many weeks of motorhoming.

If that's the case then you are clearly not as enthusiastic about motorhoming as you claim. It's pretty unarguable I'm afraid.

I would not give up my motorhoming because my 'van's in storage. Like many more members here mine is in storage and yet we manage to have a good motorhoming life. It's obvious that we're a lot keener than you are as you'd let the slightest inconvenience scupper the entire thing!

Sorry, you're not convincing me!

Now come on Frank, you know you lost this argument so admit it; remember no one likes a bad loser!

To be honest, Brian is spot on here, there are points on both sides and declaring someone is keener on motorhoming than someone else on the basis of wether or not they think keeping a van in storage is a great idea is rather pointless, so we will quit whilst we are ahead!

On a more serious note hope your mother is recovering; have you managed to get back to see her yet?

All the best J and R.

Frank's arguments all seemed to be based upon his own definition of 'motorhoming', a word he uses repeatedly.

I have no idea how 'motorhoming' is defined. Surely it's a personal thing and we don't all have to comply to one bigot's definition?

My own idea of 'motorhoming' would not work if the van were in storage. There's nothing more that can be said.

Guest Had Enough

RobertandJean claim to be enthusiastic about motorhoming but say if they had to do what you do, and what you and I find to be no problem and easy, they'd pack in motorhoming tomorrow.

Perhaps you can point out the absolutely enormous flaw in his argument? I'm having a bit of trouble getting through to him! :D

Guest Had Enough
Steve928 - 2015-03-13 8:14 PM

Frank's arguments all seemed to be based upon his own definition of 'motorhoming', a word he uses repeatedly.

I have no idea how 'motorhoming' is defined. Surely it's a personal thing and we don't all have to comply to one bigot's definition?

My own idea of 'motorhoming' would not work if the van were in storage. There's nothing more that can be said.

Now you must try to concentrate more. My argument has had nothing to do with how people use their motorhomes. It's about the definition of words such as keen and enthusiastic. If people are keen and enthusiastic enough they'll overcome petty hurdles such as having to drive five mikes to pick up their 'van.

If they'd rather pack in motorhoming than adjust to such petty hurdles that's entirely their right and privilege, no one has ever said otherwise, but to claim to be enthusiastic about motorhoming at the same time seems rather odd to me and I suspect, from many comments in this thread, to many others as well.

As I said earlier, someone claiming to be keen on tennis but refusing to play because the nearest club is five miles away is daft to claim that he's keen!

That's my view and for someone to deny me that view strikes me as the epitome of bigotry. ;-)

We kept our first couple of motorhomes on drive which is large and private although on a main road, we came home from a holiday and on opening our mail we received a note from the local bobby saying that he knew we were away, and therefore so did others , this happened again but then when we upsized to a tag axle we decided to put it in storage ten minutes away : i thought i wouldnt like it but i was wrong! I much prefered it i kept it basically stocked in the summer , chucked everything in the car and off down to the storage place and away :- nobody knew we were away ,and i didnt think anyone was after catalytic converter or diesel, and therefore out of site out of mind although we had solar panels put on for batterys , i think i liked that nobody knew my business if i was away , or even the fact that we owned a motorhome, like i say ididnt think id like it but it turned out i prefered it lol £250 per year :) pp

Pam

I doubt you will be using a tag axle to nip over to friends or do a weekly shop and that's the difference! I can use my PVC to do all the things anyone would do in a car. When i had a caravan i used to stick it in storage as there wasn't much point leaving it cluttering up my drive.

Where a van/mh is parked up is down to what suits each individuals needs.

Had Enough - 2015-03-13 8:17 PM

RobertandJean claim to be enthusiastic about motorhoming but say if they had to do what you do, and what you and I find to be no problem and easy, they'd pack in motorhoming tomorrow.

Perhaps you can point out the absolutely enormous flaw in his argument? I'm having a bit of trouble getting through to him! :D

Goodness Frank know you might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you seem to overlook fact that it is because we are enthusiastic motorhome we chose to live somewhere with space to park our van. This enables us to use our van in the way we think is best for us. Game, set and match me thinks.

Steve928 - 2015-03-13 8:14 PM

Spot on Steve, except Frank maybe many things but do not think he is a bigot.

robertandjean - 2015-03-13 10:52 PM

Goodness Frank know you might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you seem to overlook fact that it is because we are enthusiastic motorhome we chose to live somewhere with space to park our van. This enables us to use our van in the way we think is best for us. Game, set and match me thinks.

I wouldn't hold your breath......it's only half time yet! :D

urbanracer - 2015-03-13 11:42 PM

http://i38.servimg.com/u/f38/19/16/07/88/off-to10.jpg

The 'Services' don't look too promising do they?

Bulletguy yes your right i didnt nip to the shops in it with it being a large vehicle i suppose the police thought it was quite an obelisk :) and a bit of a white flag telling all and sundry whether we were "at home" or not at the moment i have a transit which i use for everything and its parked on my drive (dont get notes off police now)

Its navy blue and pretty much unnoticable and thats another difference in the motorhome / pvc debate i suppose , i think the op has a motorhome which is rather large

In fact we have no motorhome at all now as i sold it pp :)

Guest pelmetman

When we first got Horace we had to put him in storage as where we lived, as it was impossible to park a car outside our house..............So I paid for covered storage 5 mins away.........safe as houses you'd think *-) .............went in to collect one day and there was a nice big dent all along his skirt :-( ........

Hence in our last two properties we've had a garage...........and it'll be a priority when we move again B-) ...............

Guest Had Enough
robertandjean - 2015-03-14 9:55 AM

Sorrry Frank the championship trophy just awarded to us as your latest comments have been declared out!

Only by you! Nice try. >:-(

When we are away we have any one of four householders who use our driveway for parking. The drive is anyone's and suits us well. If someone's there when we return I park in the road until its moved. Never a problem.

PS My view of the arguing is that most of you are more interested in trying to win brownie points than actually getting on with camping and all its benefits. I should really hate to be camped anywhere near any of you and thank gawd you don't live in this road.

Will

Archived