Neighborhood Parking Harassment and Confrontations. Please help

hideyspidey

Guest Had Enough
yeti - 2015-03-14 12:17 PM

In an attempt to get back on track,when my vehicle was in storage about 6 miles away on a CASSOA gold site and my premium was higher than when I removed it and parked on my drive,

Makes sense I suppose. CaSSOA sites have very high standards of security and break-ins and thefts are rare.

I only worry about my 'van during the few days it's on my drive every year. I'm not really bothered about it being stolen, but break-ins do lots of damage, even if there's nothing for them to nick when they get in.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had Enough - 2015-03-14 12:21 PM

yeti - 2015-03-14 12:17 PM

In an attempt to get back on track,when my vehicle was in storage about 6 miles away on a CASSOA gold site and my premium was higher than when I removed it and parked on my drive,

Makes sense I suppose. CaSSOA sites have very high standards of security and break-ins and thefts are rare.

I only worry about my 'van during the few days it's on my drive every year. I'm not really bothered about it being stolen, but break-ins do lots of damage, even if there's nothing for them to nick when they get in.

I think you have got the wrong end of the stick,my premium was higher when in storage than when it was at home.

Guest Had Enough
yeti - 2015-03-14 3:20 PM

I think you have got the wrong end of the stick,my premium was higher when in storage than when it was at home.

My apologies. We were going out for a bike ride in the glorious weather here and I was getting black looks from my wife who wanted to be off.

In my rush I misread your post, which on re-reading is quite clear. That's very odd. Are you with one of the major caravan/motorhome insurers? I'm with Comfort and receive a decent discount for having secure storage.

Abcheetham - 2015-03-13 6:40 PM

We can park Herbie on our drive quite easily but choose to store him a few miles away for a few hundred quid per year. We can be spontaneous if we want and swap the car for Herbie and drive off leaving the car where the van was. When we need to clean the van etc he stays on the house drive for a day or two before heading back to storage. No probles and quite easy.

so when your car disappears for a few days, those astute thieves that everyone is worried about will know you have driven to the van storage and you will be away in your van......or away doing something else....

van disappearing, car disappearing, it makes no difference if someone is watching your property.

bolero boy - 2015-03-15 8:56 AM

Abcheetham - 2015-03-13 6:40 PM

We can park Herbie on our drive quite easily but choose to store him a few miles away for a few hundred quid per year. We can be spontaneous if we want and swap the car for Herbie and drive off leaving the car where the van was. When we need to clean the van etc he stays on the house drive for a day or two before heading back to storage. No probles and quite easy.

so when your car disappears for a few days, those astute thieves that everyone is worried about will know you have driven to the van storage and you will be away in your van......or away doing something else....

van disappearing, car disappearing, it makes no difference if someone is watching your property.

Quite so..Empty Drive Symptom. When we were lived in our house with off-street parking in front our neighbour, who didn't have parking, used to park there instead. Otherwise you might as well put up a notice saying " empty house".

Brian and I have had our differences in the past but I do have to say that I for one recognise Brian's point of view as much closer to reality than Frank's.

What this forum lacks is moderation - both by Warners and by it's members and whilst I also accept that Frank does get his fair share of baiting at times I do feel that he has largely brought the multiple dislikes upon himself in most cases.

That does not make it right of course and surely it is not asking too much for everyone to show some moderation and not carry forward grudges and spats from thread to thread ad infinitum but to judge each posting on it's own merit regardless of who posts it?

As others have said, Frank has a wealth of experience and is able to offer a lot of useful tips and info and it is irritating that so many people, Dave Pelmet in particular, seem intent on baiting him to distraction at every opportunity.

Nevertheless Frank too has shown more than his fair share of hostility and it is perhaps no surprise that some find it so much harder than others to let go of the past and move on.

But I won't hold my breath whilst I wait for common sense and decorum to return to this once great forum.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2015-03-15 2:04 PM

We are all what we are - and the result of our experiences ( and our genes ).

I blame O&L and Matalan then :D ................

Mike88 - 2015-03-15 2:23 PM

Taking of spats where's Eddie these days? And I mean that in a nice way.

According to Frank I scared him off as I didn't agree with the way he belittled those who could not afford or chose not to buy the top end expensive German ebikes he got so excited about

Not a dig at you Frank but you have on more than one occasion blamed me for Edward sadly leaving and now spreading the ebike word on fun

Colin Leake - 2015-03-15 7:15 PM

I'm beginning to have my doubts. I was convinced that I was superior to every other dim witted moron on this thread, but no one seems to think I'm worth having a go at so I clearly can't be as important as I thought I was. Now I'm just a sad disallusioned doddering old man!

Who am I to disagree with that and not only but also unable to spell disilusioned (lol)

Guest pelmetman

I've got the answer :-D ...........

Ban Frank and me B-) .............

Then peace will return ;-) ........

There should be a dedicated and hidden thread, and where, anyone who uses certain unnecessary argumentative wording is automatically channelled into, they could then argue all year and let the remainder of us read sensible accounts connected with our interest.

Will

lynneroy - 2015-03-15 3:35 PM

Mike I miss Eddie too, he has moved to another forum, I also miss Tony who has not been on here for months and was so helpful, hope they come back, but this arguing is so pointless I doubt they will bother.

Lynne

Think Eddie has moved to the "paying" one, also Mel B. Tony is a moderator now, so can't see him coming back often, though not a lot goes on over on PM. This is the most informative non paying forum, just have to ignore the dross. What do the mods do? appears to be not a lot.

PJay

PS I do hope the good guys don't give up on here. You know who , you are

The answer on "mods" is twofold. First, that Warners, I think to their credit, have a deliberate policy of "light" moderation, trusting a group of adults to behave reasonably. Second, that because the forums are free, and generate little income for them, there is no money to pay full time moderators to monitor what is posted. IMO, the two policies work well in harness - providing everyone sticks, within reason, to the rules. And there lies the rub.

One person's version of "within reason" includes much that another would consider wholly unreasonable. Those who are offended either complain to moderators (which often results in strings being snipped, or completely taken down, usualy with the loss of the useful stuff), or they complain to the poster (often then to be told they have misunderstood a badly judged joke, are "over sensitive", are stupid, are too politically biased, are part of the "politically correct" brigade etc etc - but seldom treated to a polite apology), or they decide the level of abuse is not worth the effort, and go away. The first reults in the loss of much useful information, the second often results in tedious and stupid quarrels, and the third impoverishes the forum for us all.

The answer is simple to state. Folk should read what they have written, thinking how it may come across to others, and edit it to be broadly neutral, before they hit the "SUMBIT" button. Some do, some fail (we all fail sometimes), and some revel in the consequences of stirring others into a heated argument. So, achieving the ideal depends on the personalities, and to some exetent the writing skills, of the posters, and they vary greatly. Restraint, consideration of others, and a modicum of enlightened self-interest is all that is required. Ah well. Amen to that! :-) Oh yes, and apologies for the further OT.

Fair comment Brian and whilst I am not easily offended I do find that when someone says that they are 'offended' or being 'got at' instead of then asking for a reasoned clarification in moderate terms they all too often tend to respond with an offensive posting themselves and so the whole process starts over again by being blown up from something which in most cases was never intended to offend in the first place.

Such is the way of the written word which will always be open to misinterpretation, particularly when someone is looking for just that.

Archived