First part of refurb complete, recomendations for next stage please.

Cliffy

Having deciding that we did not want to spend £25000+ on changing our van for another van that would be bigger and newer but would give us little more than we have and may give us problems.(Better the devil you know as they say, we decided to 2 or 3 grand doing our AT Tracker up a bit.

We have just had the upholstery refurbished at Refluxe at Ilkeston and are very pleased we are too, service and workmanship was fantastic it looks and feels like a new van inside now.

The next step is to have some minor GRP damage repaired, just bits and pieces of bumps here and there and some crazing (fine cracking) on the over cab and the back corners.

There does not seem to be anyone on Teesside who do this sort of work except the franchises. which I don't fancy. I am happy to travel south as far as Birmingham and North as far as Edinburgh if anyone has had a good personal experience having this sort of work done, at a reasonable price.

Thanks

Guest Had Enough
Cliffy - 2015-03-12 9:04 AM

Had Enough - 2015-03-12 7:50 AM

Look no further!

http://www.motorhomebodyrepairs.co.uk/

Thanks for that, it looks like a very good starting point. Do you have personal experience of their work and pricing?

Yes, I have experience of them. When reversing on a campsite I missed an overhanging branch that put a hole in the top left of my Hobby motorhome. A well known northern repair company said that the hole couldn't be fixed and it would need an entire new back. Imagine that, getting a whole new back plate from Germany, removing all the electrics and reversing camera etc. The quote was over £6000 plus the parts.

I phoned Hobby UK who recommended DMR and said that they had good experience of them. I sent DMR some photos and they said "No problem."

They work magic with motorhome bodies. When it was finished it was just as new. It's difficult for many repairers to fill a hole if they can't get behind it, if you see what I mean. A hole in a fibre glass dinghy for instance is easy, as they can work from both sides, but with my 'van they could only work from outside. I'm not sure how they did it but they did!

They showed me a caravan that had had a fork lift truck driven into it. The finished job was perfect.

Mine wasn't too cheap as it was very labour intensive but it was about £1350, which is a lot better than £6K plus God knows what for a new entire back plate from Germany!

They were a super firm to deal with and very professional. I recommend them wholeheartedly.

Guest Had Enough

It looks really good. I'd like the details of the firm which did it. I've Googled Refluxe, Ilkeston but got nothing and this is definitely a company I'd like to keep on file. Do you mind telling us what you paid?

As for your bodywork, if you photograph the affected areas and email DMR and then have a chat on the phone with them, you should be able to get a quote without taking it down to them. That's what I did.

Ps Just found them, it's Reluxe, not Refluxe.

Premier is also another one in Ilkestone. i believe they will do it while you wait , and let you stay over

PJay

yPS have not used them, but they did ours when new, , so would recommend them from that point of view

Had Enough - 2015-03-14 9:11 AM

It looks really good. I'd like the details of the firm which did it. I've Googled Refluxe, Ilkeston but got nothing and this is definitely a company I'd like to keep on file. Do you mind telling us what you paid?

As for your bodywork, if you photograph the affected areas and email DMR and then have a chat on the phone with them, you should be able to get a quote without taking it down to them. That's what I did.

Ps Just found them, it's Reluxe, not Refluxe.

Sorry i have got a rouge f in the name. it shoulkd read Reluxe which is part of Premier Furnishings.

https://www.facebook.com/ReluxeFurnishingsbyPremier

PJay - 2015-03-14 12:52 PM

Premier is also another one in Ilkestone. i believe they will do it while you wait , and let you stay over

PJay

yPS have not used them, but they did ours when new, , so would recommend them from that point of view

How they work is you go down PM one day and pick the fabrics etc they loan you a car for the following day with petrol and insurance included. They come and take the cabseats out early on in the morning you go out in the car and come back at 4,opm and it is all done. They let us stop over on the second night as we were not coming straight home and did not want to turn up at a campsite in the dark. They provide EHU and fresh water if required.

It is an excellent service, they are very accomodating and will send samples of material in the post if you have an idea of what you want.

Guest pelmetman
Looks like a nice job B-) ..............I suspect your refurb will work out costing less than you'd lose in a px deal ;-) .........

It does look good Cliffy...:-)

..and as the van has already been ticking all of your boxes (that and as you say, "better the Devil you know" etc) it certainly makes sense..

(..although, initially, I was admiring the first photo of the lounge, 'til I realised that is was the "old" one.. :$ (lol) )

Archived