Standing on the roof

Abcheetham

As the subject line implies I wonder if you could shed any light on whether or not it is officially ok to stand on the roof of a motorhome. Mine is a Hymer Exsis 522 mini A class which I am led to believe is a better build quality than most but I don't want to risk breaking anything!

Abcheetham - 2015-03-12 4:30 PM

As the subject line implies I wonder if you could shed any light on whether or not it is officially ok to stand on the roof of a motorhome. Mine is a Hymer Exsis 522 mini A class which I am led to believe is a better build quality than most but I don't want to risk breaking anything!

I suppose it depends on the model, and the manufacturers advice.

You also need to consider that if the roof flexes at all, even if it takes your weight, you could affect the seals around roof lights etc.

:-|

I don't think you will get a definitive answer as it depends on the weight of the person and where on the roof.

I always crawl to spread weight and a fear of falling off, or reach through the sunroof or from a ladder.

Mine has a really solid roof rack which gives a good grip, but if washing the roof it can be very slippy.

I've heard of folk pulling up next to a first storey window or verandah.

You could always send a small child up, Bob-a-job week?

Abcheetham - 2015-03-12 4:30 PM

The manual for ours states that the maximum roof load is 75kg. If in doubt as to the implications of this for maintenance access, I'd suggest contacting the workshop of a Hymer dealership. Do be aware that aluminium roofs are very slippery when wet!

My Autotrail handbook says that it is OK to walk on the roof, but only to within 2' of the join with the cab, where there is a seam. I have been 'up there' but only on my hands and knees, on 'spreader' rubber mats, to give it a thorough clean to get rid of the 'Green algae' that seems to grow everywhere here in 'Wet n Windy' West Wales, I then applied some Gardx fluid, over the whole roof, which seems to have kept it at bay through the Winter.

While standing up, on the roof, I nearly did a 'Nose dive' so I am much more circumspect now, as I probably don't bounce like I used to.

An option on Autotrails is a rear ladder, so The roof must be re-inforced, but to what degree I don't know ? Just found it, 150kgs. Ray

Archived