Fiat engine requirement for maxi chassis

Hawcara

I am just playing with ideas for the future.

What engine would one require for a max weight of chassis of say 4250kg on a coachbuilt Hymer (Fiat).

I would assume a 3 litre, but having seen vans advertised with a 2.3 150 bhp, I am wondering.

We will be upgrading in the next couple of years and would like to carry a bit more junk, scooter as well as bikes, hence the question.

We hope to go to the Dusseldorf show in Aug/Sept and want to go with some ideas.

By the way Lenny, the Caravan Salon cards arrived last week, 2 sets, German efficiency!

Thank you :-D

At that weight, whatever the 2.2 150 can do, the three litre will do more easily, but either would cope. It's going to have more to do with where you would drive it, than with the capability of either to cruise down a reasonable flat motorway at legal speeds. If easy motorway cruising is what you mainly do, the 150 would, IMO, be adequate. But, if you are likely to head off into the mountains I think the extra power and torque of the larger engine would be an advantage. Just my opinion, mind! :-)

Thank you Brian, the bigger engine would seem to tick the boxes. There maybe persons on this site that have experience one way or the other and I would be silly to just go ahead.

I read somewhere that the fuel difference was negligible, but equally I would not want to be thrashing the guts out of something.

We are a long way off ordering a van, but I don't like going to shows and not asking the appropriate questions.

:-D

Hawcara - 2015-03-13 7:30 PM

Thank you Brian, the bigger engine would seem to tick the boxes. There maybe persons on this site that have experience one way or the other and I would be silly to just go ahead.

I read somewhere that the fuel difference was negligible, but equally I would not want to be thrashing the guts out of something.

We are a long way off ordering a van, but I don't like going to shows and not asking the appropriate questions.

:-D

We have just picked up our new AutoTrail Savannah on the new X290 Ducato with the 150BHP engine. Our motorhome weighs in at 4.25 tonne and although we weren't loaded to this figure last week, the engine felt superb. The power delivery is smooth and the pulling power excellent and is quiet - we had the previous Ducato and thought that was good but the new one has a variable geometry turbo which is supposed to increase both performance and fuel consumption. It is too early to tell as yet as only managed 60 miles so far but I am very pleased and would see no point in going for the 3 litre version myself.

Alan

Like Alan we too have recently taken delivery of an AT with the 150 hp engine coupled to a AMT in a Tracker FB loaded to the legal load limit. Currently on the last leg of our first trip some 6000klms. The roads have been a combination of motorways along with hilly country and flat roads. Pretty much all you could expect variety wise. Based on that small amount of distance I would agree with Brian the 150 will do the job with no problems. However if you feel better with the additional HP under your right foot then buy the 3 litre. Our fuel consumption overall has been 11.9 l/100klms. The most important thing is to get out there and have fun. Cheers Gary

terry1956 - 2015-03-13 9:14 PM

The difference between the 150bhp and the 180bhp is 50nm of torque, and a lot extra on the road tax.i.............................

Where does the extra road tax come in Michael? I thought the VED was determined only by the vehicle weight, so in this case it will be PHGV: lower than PLG.

Hawcara - 2015-03-13 5:54 PM

I am just playing with ideas for the future.

What engine would one require for a max weight of chassis of say 4250kg on a coachbuilt Hymer (Fiat).

I would assume a 3 litre, but having seen vans advertised with a 2.3 150 bhp, I am wondering.

We will be upgrading in the next couple of years and would like to carry a bit more junk, scooter as well as bikes, hence the question.

We hope to go to the Dusseldorf show in Aug/Sept and want to go with some ideas.

By the way Lenny, the Caravan Salon cards arrived last week, 2 sets, German efficiency!

Thank you :-D

I too Have an Autotrail Savannah, mine is a 2012 model on an X250 with the 2.3 150 bhp engine, max load 4250kg I also Tow a car (Toyota Yaris at 1040kgs) The 150bhp, is fine and keeps up very well, have to be very careful not to go too fast, pulls up Hills well,fully loaded, and is reasonable on Fuel.

Obviously a 3 litre would do it better, but I would only have one if I had the Comfortmatic gearbox too.

Road tax £165. PHG would be the same for the 3 Litre. Ray

If the decision and ordering a vehicle is still a long way off; things could be quite different. Once Fiat announces it's Euro 6 offerings the difference between the 2.3 and 3.0 may be significantly greater. I can't get any kind of commitment from them as to where this is going but the silence suggests a revolution!

If it's a very long way in the future then you may be buying a hover van and might only have to chose between an amphibious or inter-stellar version.

I would not worry about it just yet. :D

terry1956 - 2015-03-14 5:21 PM

Hi re road tax, I just looked at the co2 outputs of both engines. I dont own the larger engine as I did not see the point.i have just looked again at the tax bands and stand corrected, both engines are taxed the same.michael

Historically, a motor caravan would be licenced according to its maximum overall weight and be classified as either Private/Light Goods (weight up to 3500kg) or Private Heavy Goods (over 3500kg). And, until fairly recently, the DVLA ignored any CO2 emissions data available for the converted vehicle.

Things changed in 2013 and the DVLA’s current stance is detailed here

http://www.thencc.org.uk/news_press/news_detail.aspx?NewsID=269

The situation was discussed in more detail here

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Motorhome-Road-Tax-Clarification-/33014/

I’m not aware that anyone buying a brand-new motorhome since the DVLA had a rethink in 2013 has had the vehicle classified according to its CO2 emissions data instead of being put into either the PLG or PHG class based on the motorhome’s weight. But that doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened, or - if it hasn’t happened yet - won’t happen in future.

Archived