Brittany Aires

hymer1942

Brittany has more Aires than any other region in France, so spoilt for choice! Three off the top of my head are:

St Malo aire de Ilots, on the D201 coast road from Cancale. This is a former site but now an aire with a bus stop to St Malo centre right outside the gate. Full services, including hook up for between 6 and 11 €/night depending on season. Great aire well recommend.

St pol de Leon. Aire with nice sea views but long way from town, but do remember a good restaurant fairly close.

Malestroit a nice parking only inland aire next to canal and easy walk to town centre. Good place to relax for a few days.

Site Frank recommends is also very good. Yes we do sometimes stay on sites and even agree with Frank!!

We stayed on a really nice municipal at Poulennou, near Cleder which us west of Roscoff. Lovely sea views from much if the site and close to a nice beach. Goods showers etc all for under £8 a night.Also, aire at Mousterlin plage is good. Ithas no facilities, just two fields, but very close to lovely beach and free

George Collings - 2015-03-14 11:28 PM

Surely the best part of motorcaravanning is finding stopping places that suit you. France is full of them and just checking out the ones in Brittany might take several months. Get out there and do it! Getting lost is no great problem when there is no need to find your way home that night.

I thinkor some people just 'going with the flow' is what they like about motorhoming. However, I am a planner, I always like to plan my holidays so I know where I am going and what things there will be to do when I get there. We had our first motorhoming holiday last year and I tried to be impulsive but I just don't have it in me, so the thing I disliked about the holiday was not knowing where we were going to stay next. It doesn't mean I didn't like staying in the motorhome, it just means that this time we are going to gave a plan!

Surely that's not a bad thing, it's just a different approach.

I sympathise with you if you can't just go with the flow and need a plan to get around France.

The first time we went in a MH to France I spent weeks putting together a cunning plan of where to go and what to see.

After a nightmare journey down to Eurotunnel, think roadworks and two pileups on the M20 causing us long detours and delays, we arrived in France 8 hours behind schedule and no chance of getting to the first destination on my master plan.

Next day I binned the plan and we had a brilliant time finding towns and villages we'd never thought of or heard of as we meandered around.

Last year, quite by a accident, on the first day we found a village celebrating Bastille Day and were entertained all day by a Band, a singing group, It's a Knockout type events and free drinks and food.

That may not appeal to everyone but it ticks one of our boxes and we will return plan-free this year as well.

Plan if you must but it's the surprise element of France that makes the holiday for us.

As for Brittany – we stayed on around a dozen Aires in Brittany last year and every one had something to merit visiting again – but what we like and you like may differ entirely.

Solomongrundy - 2015-03-16 2:55 PM

I sympathise with you if you can't just go with the flow and need a plan to get around France.

The first time we went in a MH to France I spent weeks putting together a cunning plan of where to go and what to see.

After a nightmare journey down to Eurotunnel, think roadworks and two pileups on the M20 causing us long detours and delays, we arrived in France 8 hours behind schedule and no chance of getting to the first destination on my master plan.

Next day I binned the plan and we had a brilliant time finding towns and villages we'd never thought of or heard of as we meandered around.

Last year, quite by a accident, on the first day we found a village celebrating Bastille Day and were entertained all day by a Band, a singing group, It's a Knockout type events and free drinks and food.

That may not appeal to everyone but it ticks one of our boxes and we will return plan-free this year as well.

Plan if you must but it's the surprise element of France that makes the holiday for us.

As for Brittany – we stayed on around a dozen Aires in Brittany last year and every one had something to merit visiting again – but what we like and you like may differ entirely.

I guess as you where in France on Bastille day, you don't travel in the low season? as we travel only in low seasons, we use acsi sites mostly.

We had quite an experience some years ago now. Whilst sailing into Cherbourg harbour, we had the shock of our lives, as they let off a canon , almost across our nows, we had forgotten that it was bastille day, and had also not put our watches forward!!

PJay

PJay – we go high and low seasons, we were in Northern France over the New Year period and last October, and we use Aires all the time – not everybody’s cup of tea but we prefer them.

Last Summer we had a month going round Brittany and really loved the area.

First time we'd been there in over 25 years and were very impressed with everywhere we went and everything we saw – so relaxing!

How is this for an Aire?

Etel on the South Coast of Brittany, November 2012. I am not sure if it is part of a Municipal site in the summer bet when we were there the entire place was open as an Aire with EHU for about €6 a night although there was a problem with the barrier system and we ended up staying for free.

That was the best spot on the aire. Superb views and nice walks on the beach.

I tend to plan like crazy to be honest as I like to find the best spots to stay over. I use www.campingcar-infos.com which not only lists aires but loads of wild camping spots also. I tend to use google maps and streetview to look at them to find the best ones.

47.64932, -3.2017

etel.JPG.32d207da9c72e697e728f97022fd7b9c.JPG

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Barrie. Campercontact a pretty good resource for sites and Aires throughout Europe. free online with reviews and can download with mapping etc..to a smartphone or tablet. The full mobile version can be download for less then a fiver, seems to work well. Will be using in next few week on trip to Spain. worth a look I think.....

http://www.campercontact.com/en/france.aspx?map=1

My favourite free aires in Brittany:

Plestin-Les-Greves, between Lannion and Morlaix

Aire - Corniche de L'Armorique

No services but a fantastic location with coastal views. Only 6 spots. Great walks along the coast and above a large sheltered beach.

St Thegonnec, nr Morlaix

Aire - Park an Iliz

In the village, opposite a large truck park. Well laid out spaces with picnic tables. Lovely church.

Locronan

Aire

Parking in the medieval village.

Guidel, nr Lorient

Aire - Fort Loc'h

On the coast road between Guidel Plage and Fort Bloque. Behind Manaeva Apts. Sheltered, sand area. Great for walks alond the coastline. Some noise from military airbase.

St Marc, nr St Nazaire

Aire

Nice spot, overlooking the sea and beaches. Coastal path to St Marc and St Marguerite. Local nudist beach! Where they made the Jaques Tati film Mr Hulot's Holiday.

You can see some photos of Plestin-les-Greves and Fort Loch on my blog: www.europenomad.wordpress.com/home-away-from-home/

Archived