Driving to Denmark

malc d

I have been thinking about a trip up to Denmark - which now of course is a bit of a drag after the ferries have been discontinued.

Last time I went that way was about 40 years ago, when I drove from Calais to Oslo ( and back ) ending up in the middle of Hamburg on a wet Saturday night by mistake.

In recent years I've spent many enjoyable hours driving around France ( so I'm a bit spoiled ) - and I'm wondering how the drive up / across from Hook of Holland would compare.

Anyone been that way lately ?

Last time we more or less followed the coast - but a ' cross country ' drive may be better.

Any ideas of campsites on route would be helpful - preferably rural or coastal ones ( no cities ).

Any thoughts - other than " don't go there "

Cheers.

We drove from Calais to Norway a few years back and from Calais to Denmark was a doddle with toll free Motorway or Dual Carriageway all the way and by lunch time on the second day from Calais we were in Sweden but just as easily have been in Esbjerg which is an interesting city.

We use Aires so no idea about sites but Aires / Stellplatz were plentiful except our perception was they were a bit thin on the ground in Denmark but as we were only passing through it did not matter.

....I've found Denmark overall to be the least interesting of the Scandinavian countries, which doesn't, of course, mean that it doesn't have its merits.

It's not a difficult drive across Northern Germany (though the Autobahns can be a little busy at times).

Just a few ideas for sites:

En-route, (particulalrly if from the Hook) I would recommend stopovers in Lübeck (despite it being a city, it is attractive). The camping at http://www.camping-luebeck.de/ is basic but acceptable, and good for access by public transport.

We liked the site South of Schleswig, which is "on the coast" (actually a large inlet) and rural. Cycleable into the attractive town (though I believe the ferry from the site is now operating again). http://www.campingplatz-haithabu.de/

Just in Denmark we also quite enjoyed Sonderborg, though the campsite was relatively quiet when we were there, and there were tall ships in the harbour. http://sonderborgcamping.dk/

Unless you're going up to Jutland, then (despite not favouring cities) a visit to Copenhagen is well worthwhile. We like to stay outside cities whilst visiting, and Copenhagen is an easy visit by train from Koge (itself quite attractive in a post-industrial way) Sydstrand Camping. Even easier by the same train service is from Hundige Strand - http://www.camping-koebenhavn.dk/ closer to Copenhagen, and a bit noisier, but good on the separate shore-side part of the site.

malc d - 2015-03-15 5:13 PM

I have been thinking about a trip up to Denmark - which now of course is a bit of a drag after the ferries have been discontinued.

Any thoughts - other than " don't go there "

It's not that far actually. Calais to Flensburg which is right on the border is only 560 miles.....an easy 2 day doddle and about the only 'black spot' being around Hamburg which often gets snarled up. Last time i drove the Autobahn there they had repairs going on which caused huge tail backs but that was three years ago. Still wise to try and avoid hitting it around late afternoon though.

If you set off very early it could be done in one day.....if you wanted to do that.

Thanks fellas - some food for thought.

I visited Copenhagen ( very nice ) on my last trip and it cost me a lot of money in souvenirs !

I also remember trying to speak a bit of Danish - not an easy thing to do.

.... and thank you Mr.Hood for the site info.

Cheers

;-)

Archived