How do you stall an engine with auto transmission?

armstrongpiper

There have been several threads over the years referring to 'how to stop the thing' when the engine revs race away out of control. I've had a 3ltr Comfortmatic for 7 years (no trouble and a great drive), and am shortly to take delivery of another Comfortmatic PVC. The question is, and maybe Nick can answer it, How do you stall/stop and engine, quickly, when using auto transmission, if the revs do race away and a cloud of smoke comes from the exhaust? When in gear and the road speed approaches zero, the system declutches, allowing the engine to do its own thing.

Neil B

Neil,

That is a very interesting point.

From the driver's seat there is probably nothing that you can do and if the key does not work, things are probably so far out of hand already that by the time you have popped the bonnet the game would probably be over. I would be tempted to stay where i was. Under those circumstances I would not want to be looking at the engine as it expires! It can be a hazardous place to be!

Fortunately this is a very rare event and the chances of you being in this situation are very slim indeed.

Nick

It's a very valid question and whilst we do not have an auto van the solution would be interesting.

Nice thought, the fire extinguisher, but looking at it from a practical aspect, by the time you stop the van, locate and release the fire extinguisher, open the bonnet, open both cab doors (catch in passenger door frame), get around the van and squirt the fire extinguisher in the right place - always assuming you know where the air intake is, chances are the engine will have self destructed and already be silent and smoking?

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2015-03-16 1:07 PM

That must be the political solution - to try and bribe it?

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Tony,

You need to read the first line of Neil's original post to explain why he asked the question...

armstrongpiper - 2015-03-16 11:53 AM

There have been several threads over the years referring to 'how to stop the thing' when the engine revs race away out of control.

Neil B

Hope that explains it.

Keith.

Allow me......

In the (admittedly very rare) situation where your turbo is failing and because of worn seals it is now blasting oil that is supposed to be cooling it straight from the sump to the inlet manifold, your engine will emit a lot of black smoke and will rev up significantly. Some times you can switch off the engine in time but after a certain point the engine will be running on it's own oil and the only way to stop it self destructing is to stall the engine yourself before the oil runs out. This is achieved by applying the handbrake as hard as you can, selecting third or fourth gear and lifting the clutch up very sharply.

The question was posed that this would be difficult in an automatic because there is no clutch for you to dump. Difficult does not quite do it. Impossible actually.

The only modifications that I think could be made are either a C02 fire extinguisher in the engine bay that can be remotely operated or a complete shut-off valve in the inlet manifold. Both would probably cause loads of problems without ever being needed.

Don't lose any sleep over it. It is very rare.

Guest pelmetman
Muswell - 2015-03-16 11:05 PM

Just sit back, enjoy the show and keep the camera running

Is that another of those engines supplied by Mr Ford perchance? :D ............

The engine goes wild because the turbo seals allow the lubrication oil for the turbo to be sucked straight out of the sump and into the induction side of the turbo that fuels the engine, right.

The pick up for the oil in the sump is located at the lowest point., therefore after pouring a copious amount of water into the oil filler cap, the water would sink to the bottom and be fed to the turbo, stopping the cycle and incidentally killing the engine in a different way.

Getting the head off tomorrow in the hope that it may 'only' be a holed piston that turned my six week tour into a twenty five minute one.

The above would be a pretty hazardous thing to do because even if the engine did not let go in a dramatic fashion while you were standing over it, you may well get showered with very hot oil in the process. You would be blinded by steam as well.

Don't follow this advice.

What bothers me most is that in the good old days there were easily visible signs that a turbo was on the way out in the form of smoke. Either white smoke on the over-run or black smoke as death approaches. Now we have DPF's that will catch this smoke and leave you none the wiser.

The correct advice is to stall the engine if you can, and if not; get well clear of the vehicle and wait for the inevitable to happen.

Thankfully, as I have said several times already the chances of you ever seeing this happen to any vehicle, let alone happen to you are many thousands to one.

If stopping the vehicle does not stop the engine would continuing to drive and keeping the engine speed down by use of the brakes help to keep the lid on the engine until it ran out of engine oil and stopped by itself?

Never tried it on an automatic - has anyone - and would it work?

My brother in law had experience of this with a Fiat Doblo and the engine exploded. At the time he could not think of what to do so I will pass on Nick's views.

Nick I may be missing something but you mention pulling the handbrake on hard.Can you not slam on the footbrake to the same effect?

As 'modern' vehicles have dual circuit brakes a handbrake is no longer a handbrake and only has to pull about 15% efficiency to pass the MOT requirement for a parking brake so it is not something I would rely on to stop a wildly accelerating vehicle - apart from which I think I would prefer two hands on the wheel!

Keithl - 2015-03-16 6:04 PM

Tony,

You need to read the first line of Neil's original post to explain why he asked the question...

armstrongpiper - 2015-03-16 11:53 AM

There have been several threads over the years referring to 'how to stop the thing' when the engine revs race away out of control.

Neil B

Hope that explains it.

Keith.

I get it now ! :D

(after reading further additions to the thread !)

Rgds

Tracker - 2015-03-17 6:45 PM

As 'modern' vehicles have dual circuit brakes a handbrake is no longer a handbrake and only has to pull about 15% efficiency to pass the MOT requirement for a parking brake so it is not something I would rely on to stop a wildly accelerating vehicle - apart from which I think I would prefer two hands on the wheel!

My four year old x2/50 only just scraped a pas on handbrake last week.

Archived