Fiamma F45 Wind-out Awning Catching door

Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum and MH'ing, having been a caravan owner for the last few years. I have just bought a Swift Suntor (sundance) and it is fitted with a Fiamma F45 wind out awning with privacy room.

I have a wee problem that I hope all you experts can help with, as I have no instructions:

When the awning is wound out, the van door won't open as it catches one of the retracting arms. Will repositioning one of the arms cause any issues, and if I did that I would have to remove the plastic clip bit that is half way along the main body of the awning, where the retracting arms would close in to. Would this be a bad idea?

Many thanks in advance, as I'm in a bit of a pickle lol

We have a Sundance with door at the rear, and a fiammi awing and privacy room (which we seldom use)

Can you lift the end legs higher? That is what we have to do, to make sure that the door opens. I would not try to adjust the awning, it should not be necessary. Also do you have a centre pole for lifting the centre of the awing? Look on the Fiammi web site, for instructions. If you still have a problem , I will for our instructions, and if you pm your address, I will post to you.

PJay

PS forgot to say welcome to the forum. You will always find some one on here who has/had same sort of problems as yourself, and are always willing to try and help

PPS forgot to ask, is the problem only when you fit the PRoom?

Hi there P Jay and thanks for both your welcome and rapid reply!! The door for ours is just behind the passenger door. If I raise the front legs any further then the front of the P/room is far too high, and the windows run at a ridiculous angle if you catch my drift.

When it's up properly it does like nice though!!

So is it the privacy room height that is the issue? Is it OK when just used as an awning.?

Have you spoken to the previous owner (assuming it is second hand) or the person who fitted it if new?

It seems like one of those unforeseen compatibility problems with add-ons that only arise when you come to try it, but I seem to remember that the rooms come in different heights. That may be the solution, but as a motorhomer you may find you rarely use it anyway.

We had this problem with a previous m/motorhome.

I had friend help me as you need four hands. First of all wind the awning out, supported on its legs. Loosen the fixings at the top where the top of the arms are positiond in the cassette. We moved the arms an inch at a time from the top both need to be done , then you move the bottom section just a fraction. Tighten the bolts and wind tbe awning in. You will now see if it winds in completly, if not repeat the proceedure again until the awning will wind completely and lock into the closed position.

I would only do this on a nice calm day, as when the fixings on the arms are loosend there is nothing tensioning the awning.

Wind out your awning and have a good look at everything first. It can be done it just needs a bit of courage.

I think it took us about half an hour. When we had finished the arms were further towards the centre of the awning and free from fouling the door.

Good luck.

David

KC&the Sunshine Van - 2015-03-16 5:45 PM

Thanks for your reply Bill. It is the awning height issue. Perhaps I'll look into getting longer sides and front. The awning was brought with the van brand new in 2004 and has NEVER been used. Unbelievable, and the van has 18000 miles on the clock. Beat that lol

i think thats the reason why it was not used. As I said, we have one had it from new 9years, and you can count on the fingers of 1 hand how often it has been used.As already stated , you will not need it much, as you have been a caravanner you stayed put, but with a motor home , one moves around more, presumably that is why you changed from a caravan to a Motor home? Forget the privacy room, and if need be get some sides or front panel, though they are seldom need IMO

PJay

I have the same problem with my awning, and lift the front legs high enough for the door to clear, then lower them again till I need to close the door again. Its a bit of a bind. I do not advise to tamper with the arm settings.

One other way to correct the problem is if the 3 holding brackets that secure the awning to the van,( they are self tapped into the bottom of the awning) where released and the awning body was slide forward towards the front of the van, but still allowing the rear holding bracket to be secured including the others, this may allow the door to open to 90degrees.

Careful measuring before hand to see if this is feasible, and also this is a 2 handed job with a working platform to stand on, or you may find it less stressful to give the job over to a third party. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your time in replying. When the weather Bucks up (October this year maybe) I'll have another look at things.

I had already tried to slide one of the arms, but slap bang in the middle of the housing on the van is a plastic clip that appears to be rivetted, therefore the arms won't close all the way in if moved along too much.

As for the reason for getting KC & the Sunshine Van, the plan is to site hop when away rather than be static, and to have a leisure vehicle more 'available' and convenient on short weekends or just drives out for a day when at home. The caravan is impractical for this, and it costs twice as much to use channel tunnel etc. In light of that, the privacy room may not get erected so often.

Thanks again guys........

Just a quick one though, what position should I have my selector switch above the door to charge the leisure battery when driving?

'Top, middle or Bottom??'

*-)

Archived