Steca charge controller - or not?

Solomongrundy

I have an 80W Solar panel connected to a Steca Solum 6.6F charge controller which charges my leisure batteries.

To charge my Starter battery as well as the Leisure batteries from the Solar panel will I need a dual charge wattage regulator or could I use the Steca?

Help appreciated.

1826359875_STECA1.jpg.3e2b06f63aa3b65cd9a2d97aec6d2b63.jpg

If your regulator has dual output you can use that to charge two separate batteries and if not you could either buy one that does or use one of these battery to battery chargers to charge the engine battery from the leisure batteries when they are full enough.

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/12v24v-electrical-products/battery-management/battery-control-products/battery-master-79.htm

Solomongrundy - 2015-03-17 10:50 AM

I have an 80W Solar panel connected to a Steca Solum 6.6F charge controller which charges my leisure batteries.

To charge my Starter battery as well as the Leisure batteries from the Solar panel will I need a dual charge wattage regulator or could I use the Steca?

Help appreciated.

This is what you need and dead easy to wire up.

John.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPLIT-CHARGE-EASY-FIT-LEISURE-TO-ENGINE-BATTERY-CAMPER-MOTORHOME-BOAT-12V-SOLAR-/121595285391?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4fa4cf8f

Thanks for your helpful replies and links.

Yesterday I emailed the Steca Solsum manufacturers to ask them the same question, normally manufacturers rarely if ever respond, and to my surprise I had a reply within a couple of hours.

After a few more emails back and forth Carmen Hörberg, the Steca representative, advised that the Solum 6.6F was not capable of charging both Leisure and Starter batteries and that the best alternative was a Steca Solarix 2020-x Charge Controller – I have now found the price is around £163.

This seems a bit too high a price to pay just to charge the Starter battery, I could buy a couple more batteries for that price, so I'm going to see if the Split Charge module (relay) at £22 works well enough to do the job.

I'll let you know how I get on with it and if it does what it says on the tin.

Again thanks.

Solomongrundy - 2015-03-19 7:06 PM

Thanks for your helpful replies and links.

Yesterday I emailed the Steca Solsum manufacturers to ask them the same question, normally manufacturers rarely if ever respond, and to my surprise I had a reply within a couple of hours.

After a few more emails back and forth Carmen Hörberg, the Steca representative, advised that the Solum 6.6F was not capable of charging both Leisure and Starter batteries and that the best alternative was a Steca Solarix 2020-x Charge Controller – I have now found the price is around £163.

This seems a bit too high a price to pay just to charge the Starter battery, I could buy a couple more batteries for that price, so I'm going to see if the Split Charge module (relay) at £22 works well enough to do the job.

I'll let you know how I get on with it and if it does what it says on the tin.

Again thanks.

Hi Solomongrundy, the relay is dead easy to wire up one wire positive cab battery, one wire leisure battery, and one to earth.

It charges the leisure battery first with red led on, when it reaches I think 13.2 volts, it switches to cab battery and green led comes on.

I fitted one to my last 2 vans and they worked a treat. Our new van doesn't need one as solar panel is wired straight into the Sargeant system that is fitted to our motorhome.

Please let us know how you get on.

John.

Archived