auto trail 700 blinds problem

tringy

Hi all,

I am asking for some advice. We have an autotrail 700 on a 07 plate and the pull down blinds have got a lot of a sort of a staining come mould appearing on them. This started many months ago and is getting steadily worse and we are not sure what to do about it.we dont know where its coming from and cant work it out. The van is stored at home with the blinds pulled down all the time .we see no condensation no them but maybe we should leave them up? But if so the damage is done now. We have very very nosey nabours thats why the blinds are closed all the time.we use moisture traps inside but dont seem to collect much in them.the blinds are worse at the rear which is strange.

can these be cleaned? If not are there replacements available?

advice please.

regards .Tringy.

Not sure which blinds you mean. We had what looked like mold on our insect mesh blinds, which roll down. we took them down and I washed the nets carefully in detergent, they came up very clean.(did not realize how dirty they were) I soaked them in the bath, so that there was plenty of room for them. If you mean the sun blinds, they should be easy to do the same thing, just wipe them with clean cloth and washing up liquid or some spray cleaner maybe. Would not soak them, We found it better to take them down , rather than try to do it in situ

Hope this helps you.

PJay

With you having mould on the window blinds, is your upholstery suffering as well? Have you had a recent damp check carried out, it seems that you could do with using a de-humidifier if condensation is present. If you haven't had a damp check carried out for some time it might be in your interest to have one done especially around the windows asap for piece of mind.

Thanks for your input rolandrat.i use my own damp meter regularly , no damp anywhere and everything is fine with the upholstery thats whats puzzles me.again I ask has anyone had the same problem and how they got rid of it or

where l can get replacements from. Thanks tringy.

Are you sure the ‘staining’ is mould?

The reason I ask is that in the mid-2000s there was a large batch of Remis-made pleated blinds that began to show peculiar marks. The marking was initially diagnosed as being due to mould, but the cause was subsequently identified as a fault with the blind-material itself where a metallic interlayer began to ‘bleed’ through the blind’s surface. If owners of affected leisure-vehicle complained Remis would replace marked blinds free of charge.

On my 2005 Hobby all the Remis-made roof and side-window blinds (except one blind that clearly used different material to the rest) began to show what looked like dirty speckly patches. Once the reason for this had been established, and as the material of the blinds was not actually damaged, I decided not to bother having the blinds swapped. Eventually the marking spread across the complete blind surface and the effect (I thought) was not unattractive!

Our 2007 Hobby suffered a similar problem to Derek's. It was limited to the cab set of blinds, which were replaced by the UK rep for Remis FoC. Whether the offer to replace still stands I don't know but, assuming the blinds are by Remis (you'll have to look at the casings etc to identify the maker), it would be worth asking them. See this link: http://tinyurl.com/o32sxo5

Archived