buying a bike

pedrosita

Biggest issue is budget.

There is a great array of bikes out there, and prices range widely.

things to consider apart from price would be weight, fold down size and ease of folding as this will have a bearing on how much hassle it is to get them out and put away.

There is a conflict with wheels to think about.

The bigger the wheel, the easier to ride, but harder to pack.

the fatter the tires the more comfortable ride, but harder to peddle.

There is always a compromise to make, so get yourself to a good bike shop and get your hands on some options.

good luck.

If it's some years since you rode bikes, I suggest you try to borrow a pair and try taking them for a ride, including going uphill. I bought a bike in a similar situation a few years ago and discovered very quickly that I was no longer light or fit enough to cope, even in supposedly flat East Anglia.

There are of course lots of electrically powered bikes these days and there are contributors to this Forum who have lots of experience of using and choosing them - as well as some contributors who have neither but will express strong opinions anyway!

(We tow a little car on a trailer instead of taking bikes.)

I think your choices should be guided firstly by what kind of cycling you are expecting to do, and where. If you want to use the bike over variable terrain (towpaths, cinder tracks, light off road etc) and for travelling beyond your immediate surroundings, I think you will need a couple of hybrids, rather than pure road bikes or ATBs. If all you want is a bike for short range use on the flat, you might find a folder acceptable. However, as stated above, they tend to be less efficient, and are invariably heavier and, because of the added complexity, costlier. I think Bromptons are about the best of the bunch, but they are an acquired taste. Definitely try before you buy - I hated the ride! We bought a couple of Dahon folders which were cheaper and I found rode better, but once out on the road didn't really excel, plus they were bulky, and the folding/unfolding process wasn't that quick.

We now have a couple of full sized, light weight, aly framed, hybrids with everything on quick releases. I pop the wheels out for transport and carry the frames upside down in the "garge". They are lighter and easier to handle in this way than the folders, and the time to disassemble/reassemble is about the same as taken to fold, bag, and stow the folders. The only additions I have made are removeable pedals (which makes the whole business of manipulating the frames into place vastly easier), and sprung seat posts (for posterior comfort for part time cyclists :-D). Got ours from Evans. Both were previous year's models sold at a reduced price.

If you really need something that is even easier to break down for transport, have a look at Airnimal bikes (the spelling is correct, they are aimed at those who take bikes on 'planes). Haven't seen or tried them, but they were high on the list until I realised almost any bike with QR wheels could be similarly reduced. Not cheap, though!

Hi, probably not of use to you, but we bought a couple of Prorider Wayfarer electric battery powered bikes and are so far very happy with them..However, they dont carry the relevant CE marking, so theoreticly, the dont comply with rules for use in Spain..good old EU...

Each has a quoted pedal assist range of 30 miles, and are 20 inch wheel size with 7 gears shimano type

quoted weight of 19kg each, but I guess actually a bit more. Ride comfort not bad, for us oldies, but certainly not ultra light weight Tour de France suitable.

Depending on you cycling fitness and requirements, would you be seeking pedal assist type or pure DIYpush bikes.

tonyg3nwl.

Archived