Reversing light switch on RWD Ford Transit 2007

Hello

Usually they are located in a place that can be tricky to get to.

I have never known the removal of a transmission required. The manufacturer would be very foolish to design a vehicle in this way.

Therefore I suspect it would be in the top of the box somewhere.

I would expect you need to climb right underneath and you will have to put your hands up around the box to find it.

You probably are aware it will have a wiring loom to it.

Depending on the design it may have a speed sensor fitted also to the box.

I hope this helps, not a definite answer I know.

...I've replaced one on a 2010 FWD, and it was very easy (though it had to be put in gear to fit the replacement correctly).

There is a post on the forum here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Reversing-light-failure-Transit-MK7-A-S-Windsor-/29314/

...which implies it should be easy to remove on a RWD model.

Of course, the location will vary depending on transmission type e.g. 5 or 6 gear box, and the diagrams accessible via this site (useful to bookmark for other purposes) may help with that location if you're not entirely sure.

http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford_unit&s_id_model=117

Haynes publishes an Owners Workshop Manual for Transit Mk 6 diesel-engined models (Year 2000 - 2006) and a good deal of the information in that booklet is likely to apply to the Mk 7.

The advice relating to removing/refitting the reversing-light switch on a rear-wheel-drive Transit Mk 6 is as follows:

5-SPEED TRANSMISSIONS

REMOVAL

1 The reversing light circuit is controlled by a plunger-type switch screwed into the upper left-hand side of the transmission casing.

2 Firmly apply the handbrake, then jack up the front of the vehicle and support it securely on axle stands.

3 Disconnect the wiring from the reversing light switch, then unscrew the two bolts and remove the switch from the side of the transmission.

REFITTING

4 Refitting is a reversal of the removal procedure, ensuring that the two retaing bolts are tightened securely. On completion, check and, if necessary, top up the transmission oil level.

6-SPEED TRANSMISSIONS

REMOVAL

1 The reversing light circuit is controlled by a plunger-type switch screwed into the upper left-hand side of the transmission casing, at the rear.

2 Firmly apply the handbrake, then jack up the front of the vehicle and support it securely on axle stands.

3 Disconnect the wiring from the reversing light switch, then unscrew the switch from the side of the transmission.

REFITTING

4 Refitting is a reversal of the removal procedure, ensuring that the switch is tightened securely. On completion, check and, if necessary, top up the transmission oil level.

Morning, Derek's advice and information are as usual very good and helpful. So you now know how to do it and what is involved. Roger S has given you a recent labour cost.

i have built 4 kit cars from stripping donor cars and rebuilding engines etc so am pretty good with my scanners BUT jacking up a 3500kg Motorhome and getting underneath with all of the inherent risks involved, jacks slipping etc it is just not worth it. Get a Ford main dealer to do it as I have said before, correct part, properly fitted and guaranteed. Remember your only saving will be labour costs, not the part.

Fully understand if you get a lot of satisfaction by DIY , I enjoy tinkering with my kit car, but please consider the risks.

Regards Mike

Here is a picture of the location of the reversing lights switch on our Transit 140 T350 Panel Van. (2007)

It is at the rear end of the gearbox nearside at the top close to the prop shaft doughnut, quite easy to access and remove/refit.

Just drive onto your ramps, on level ground at the front, and there is plenty of space to get underneath for this job, but only attempt jobs you feel well confident to carry out, take heed of Mike if you are not totally confident.

1161432441_reverse1(Medium)(Small).jpg.258e00e350cd915a4d25d8b56e9e0412.jpg

Archived