Nationwide internet banking

Wirralian

This may not be exactly motorhome related, bur I know that many of you opened a Nationwide account when they did not charge for cash withdrawals abroad. I am still with them and for free withdrawals I combine them with a Caxton card which draws money from my Nationwide account. This works well but of late it has been a 'hit or miss' whether I am able to access my Nationwide account on line. I keep getting the message 'sorry we appear to be experiencing technical problems'.

Anyone else having this problem?

I have complained about this and invited to complete an on line complaints form. This I have done, got an acknowledgement that there will be a response within 7 days, but no response is forth coming. I have sent other compaints form as reminders that I am still waiting for a response! This is a bank which claims to want to help their customers to improve their services.

John

I have had this on various websites, though never on any Bank that I deal with. I sometimes think it's not the actual website that has the problem, but somewhere on the connections along the way. I know that some websites, especially the Banks do warn of being offline for updating purposes usually in the middle of the night, but have found even when these warning are posted you can still often access them without any problems.

I use Barclays internet Banking regularly, and have never experienced any problems, although they - like many other websites- seem to change the format too often for no good purpose.

We gave up on Nationwide last year due to poor customer service and website outages

We bank online with Smile as our 'main' UK bank account and in over 10 years we have NEVER ever had any problem getting online access.

They also respond to online messages sometimes same day and usually with 48 hours and whilst there are no longer any incentives or freebies we stay with them because they are generally so reliable.

That said they did cancel all my DDs when we were in Norway in 2008 but on our return they quickly apologised, righted the wrongs and gave a very generous compensation - so we stayed!

I'm contemplating a switch to Santander because of the generous freebies but have been put off by other folks reports of apathetic customer service - can anyone report on good service to balance the views?

Tracker - 2015-03-19 7:44 PM

We gave up on Nationwide last year due to poor customer service and website outages

We bank online with Smile as our 'main' UK bank account and in over 10 years we have NEVER ever had any problem getting online access.

They also respond to online messages sometimes same day and usually with 48 hours and whilst there are no longer any incentives or freebies we stay with them because they are generally so reliable.

That said they did cancel all my DDs when we were in Norway in 2008 but on our return they quickly apologised, righted the wrongs and gave a very generous compensation - so we stayed!

I'm contemplating a switch to Santander because of the generous freebies but have been put off by other folks reports of apathetic customer service - can anyone report on good service to balance the views?

As an ex Abbey National customer, so of course now Santander, I can state that they are as good, or bad as anyone else. We have never had any problems with them and as long as you keep an eye on the account online, then if there is an issue you can get it corrected right away. They do prefer e mail correspondence whcih you can do online inside the security bit, so not an issue.They also do telephone banking but we have never really has any need to use it. Plus of course the 123 account does give a good fewe perks. They also give cheque books on this account which we find useful. As long as your cashbacks exceed the £2 monthly fee, then you are ahead before you start with the credit interest.

No, I am not advertising them in any way, merely stating that our experience as been pretty good......so far.

Thanks for your responses. I also bank with RBS and their online banking is a treat compared with my experience of Nationwide. As I mentioned, I also use Caxton and accessing them online is no bother either.

I am in Spain at the moment and when I get home in a couple of weeks I shall be going to my local branch of Nationwide to close my account. I shall be considering Santander instead.

John

John

Comments on Santander’s 123 Current Account are here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/bank-accounts/10958488/Is-Santander-123s-current-account-really-that-much-better-than-the-rest.html

I’ve banked with Santander since its Abbey National days and (except for when Santander was setting up its on-line banking system years ago) I don’t recall having problems with on-line access or when using their high-street branches.

I also have a Nationwide account (with on-line banking) though I rarely use either nowadays. Once again I don’t recall having problems with on-line access and I’ve always found staff at the local branch helpful.

(Obviously I’m not privy to how you run your financial affairs, but if you are planning to switch from Nationwide to another account, you might want to consider hanging on to the Nationwide one until you have chosen the new bank and then let the latter make the switch for you.)

I use Nationwide for banking and take advantage of the free annual travel insurance when on holiday abroad in the EU. I use Caxton for my travel money,topped up before I go, and can easily top up if needed by text via my phone. I would never consider using my debit or credit cards abroad, unless in a real emergency. This method as never failed me yet.

Nationwide always seemed to be a bit pedestrian in its ways and this included the operation of its on line services but I think things have been getting noticeably better over the past couple of years. I can't remember the last time I had difficulties on line. And their credit card still gives charge-free service for purchases in fuel and other motoring expenses, including when touring in European. (Incidentally the Post Office Credit Card beats that by giving charge-free service throughout the world and they always been good too, especially for ringing them up, when it's easy to get through.)

I also use Barclays (but not theor credit cards) and their on line systems are getting better too. As I understand it the problem for banks is that their IT systems are so big and complex that modernising them invoves big problems, but they are doing it.

I think you have the hedge your bets by keeping accounts in more than one bank and likewise more than one credit card, in case they decide there has been "unusual spending" and suspend the card at an inconvenient time. For that reason I always ring them up and tell them when I'll be abroad too.

Nationwide is a building society, not technically a bank.

I have been with them for 40 + years, . never had problem with online banking, which I use all the time, as we don't have one in our village. They do give good rates of exchange abroad, using a credit card, always the commercial rate not tourist. At the end of the day , it comes down to who suites your needs, for convenience etc. We also bank with Nat west, but nationwide gives us the best service

My friend banks with Santander and has had problems with them, but she does not have a computer,and has to either phone them or visit a branch, which requires driving (and paying to park)

PJay

The only problem I have had was when I went to tax my car online and opted to pay by direct debit. The DVLA website would not let me set up a dd and said that I had the wrong sort of account. This was a flex plus ac which I assume is just like a ' bank' account rather than a old building society ac.

alanedwin - 2015-03-24 10:40 PM

The only problem I have had was when I went to tax my car online and opted to pay by direct debit. The DVLA website would not let me set up a dd and said that I had the wrong sort of account. This was a flex plus ac which I assume is just like a ' bank' account rather than a old building society ac.

I would think that it was the DVLA that was the problem, not nationwide

Archived