garmin sat nav

jointerjohn

just saw this ad in aldi for thurs 26th march,7" garmin camper 760lmt-d, free lifetime map up dates and digital traffic, i checked it out on utube (thurgo ltd) looks very good £199.99, prices on line vary £274-£374 any one thinking of a new sat nav check it out.

Not a bad price BUT.....it only covers Western Europe and is not Full Europe.

I've been looking at Garmin as my TomTom won't recognise GPS co-ordinates in certain East European countries. Garmin is the only satnav that will, but it has a peculiar input menu for co-ords....very different to TT's.

If you want a Garmin with FULL Europe and 7" screen, then the only one is the 2799LMT-D which has just been released and listed on the Garmin site at £260 (Garmin themselves will tell you, you can buy it cheaper elsewhere!).

I expect all GPS prices to start dropping pretty seriously now though as many new cars have it fitted as standard and the market for Satnav has shrunk considerably.

My first Garmin, a Street Pilot III bought over 10 years ago, cost around £1,000 and while I've gone through quite a few since then which have failed in service, it still works! Slow, can't update the maps now, but it works.

I bought a cheap Nuvi recently and although it is limited in some ways (eg won't allow routes to be downloaded) for £79, with free lifetime map updates and covering Western Europe, it's at the very least a good standby - and satnav has become so essential when touring that these days I would never set off without a spare.

A caveat about Garmin sat-navs...

If you have a Mac computer running an Operating System earlier than OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), you will no longer be able to register a Garmin sat-nav or update its maps without first updating your Mac’s OS.

Garmin nowadays uses an application call “Garmin Express” for managing devices and details of the system requirements are available from here

http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/express.html

I use a Garmin 2699 LTM - D. 6 inch screen. Full Europe maps with lifetime update. Detailed Routes can be planned on PC using garmins Basecamp programme. Easy to load custom POI.

Cheapest I found was online with Curry,s / PC World

Interesting article last week about the quick obsolescence of gadgets, with sat navs being probably the next to go as smart phones are now replacing them.

They are going the way of calculators, small digital cameras, and dvd's.

My iPhone is certainly more adaptable than my expensive snooper, with instant traffic alerts, up to date maps, wi fi, 3G and Bluetooth connection to my other gadgets.

Just need my grandson on hand to show me how it all works.

I have full European maps and free life time updates. Had a tomtom before but it would not allow 3rd party poi. I am sure the companies keep chopping and changing to get as much profit out of the system over a period of time before the next update of the same product. Michael

Billggski - 2015-03-20 4:47 PM

Interesting article last week about the quick obsolescence of gadgets, with sat navs being probably the next to go as smart phones are now replacing them.

They are going the way of calculators, small digital cameras, and dvd's.

My iPhone is certainly more adaptable than my expensive snooper, with instant traffic alerts, up to date maps, wi fi, 3G and Bluetooth connection to my other gadgets.Just need my grandson on hand to show me how it all works.

I saw that and agreed......to a point.

I just cannot handle smart phones! Too fiddly, way too much 'stuff' on them and the stupid things need charging every couple of days which imo makes them not quite so 'smart' after all! But the Satnav has peaked now and there isn't much left to make any stand out......other than worldwide mapping with lifetime free updates. Prices of all should certainly be much cheaper.

What does surprise me more is how people are now being forced into using computers.

Archived