Driving from Croatia to Greece

Carrot cake

Depends what you mean by problems. I passed throught the Neum corridor by "accident" en route to Dubrovnik and the road was fine. The problem is obtaining insurance for this 10 kilometer stretch of road from UK insurers. Even more difficult is liable to be insurance for Montenegro, which is next up, and Albania. Some will give limited time cover for Bosnia (I think this was available through the Caravan Club), and I believe something similar may be possible for Montenegro, but I believe Albania is off-limits for all UK insurers.

Guest JudgeMental

Have driven to Greece in a van but that during the days of Tito in my early 20's. I think you can get a ferry around bosnian coast. some routes on link below skirting Bosnia/Albania....Although I have heard that some favour Hungary route

http://tinyurl.com/kt66d66

We got a free Green Card cover from our Caravan Club Insurance for Bosnia and Montenegro for the length of our trip (6 Weeks) but in the end we did not need them as we only got to Zagreb in Croatia as we were having such a good trip down through Austria and Slovenia.

Hi, first post here.

I would recommend getting a quote from the Camping and Caravanning Club's Club Care insurance. You don't have to be CCC members to buy an insurance policy.

They provide 365 day European cover and will issue green cards for 90 days over a 12 month period. We are currently in Romania, 8 months into a 13 month European trip. We've had a 30 day green card covering Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania and Macedonia last October, and I have in the safe a 60 day green card covering travel during April and May through Ukraine, Moldova, Belarus and Russia.

No connection to CCC other than as a former member, I was however very happy to find an organisation that was prepared to provide cover for our trip for much less than the 4-figure sums being quoted elsewhere.

Shaun

http://www.woollywanderers.com

Hi Brian. The documents are headed Ageas Insurance Limited. I didn't try contacting them direct for a quote, perhaps I should have done but the quotation provided through CCC was so good that I bit their proverbial hands off and bought the policy on the spot before they changed their minds.

At that point I had been phoning around for quotes and was resigned to paying over £1K for "full timer" cover which we don't really need as we have a UK address and are returning home in August. I had also come to the conclusion that we'd have to get the Bari-Patras ferry rather than my preferred route of travelling down to Greece through the Balkans, because I couldn't find an insurer who would provide cover for the region.

CCC then quoted £260 fully comp for 365 day European/Schengen cover, with optional green card cover for up to 90 days, at £30 per 30 day period. Two drivers in mid 40s, the missus with type 1 diabetes.

Regards

Shaun

Shaun thanks for the info and for the blog - I've dipped in, and will dip in some more!

Possibly next year I want to drive down to Greece see the mainland then maybe charter a yacht in the Ionian for a couple of weeks & re-live some old times.

We have cruised the Ionian on several occasions and love the Islands & people.

Regards

Jeremy

Archived