Iceland, help re breakdown insurance

peterjl

Hi

Booked to go to Iceland mid June and checked to ensure our m/home is insured. So far so good.

It suddenly struck me to check breakdown insurance and that is not covered by Safeguard.

Imam struggling to find any breakdown insurance. I don't going ADAC cover alliance seem to BUT the cover is pretty meagre. I did get exited when I read the axa policy but then found limited to 5.1 metres length.

Sooooooo, for those of you that have made this trip, what did you do?

One option is not to take insurance. I have never claimed on breakdown insurance but, of course, that's probably when things will go pear shaped!

Peter

Hi Peter,

We're going through exactly the same as you at the moment!

I thought I had cracked it with Caravan Guard with a combined Insurance and Breakdown deal until they said they would not insure us for the Faroe Islands so that ruled them out.

Our current best deal seems to be with the C&CC for again a combined Insurance and Breakdown policy. And the price is very reasonable too. Just need to find Travel Insurance now.

Are you stopping over in the Faroe Islands in either direction? If so check your Insurance covers you, some companies don't recognise FO as part of Europe! I have been asking the very explicit question of DO YOU COVER for IS and FO rather than just assuming they do. You'd be surprsed at the answers I'm getting :-)

Let us know how you get on.

Keith.

Edit: CC Red Pennant appears to cover IS and FO but by comparison with combined quotes is rather high.

We did Iceland 7 years ago, and could not find anyone who would ensure us - you may be lucky and find a dealer if you have a Mercedes van, but I do not think they sell European Fords or Fiats over there. We took our chances after having a full check up before starting out, and fortunately got away with it. The main trouble comes when the metalled road runs out - which even happens on the main roads - and you get the gravelled surface. These are planed every spring, and leave a lovely corrugated surface, which rattles everything above 15 mph. It is said that if you go over 40 mph, you get enough speed up to ride over the corrugations, but experiment at your own risk! Having said that, we had a fantastic time, and if only Smyril Line would start calling again at Scrabster, we would go again.

Hi

Thought I would update this post for anybody else Iceland bound.

The two companies I found that cover both Iceland and Faroes are Saga and C@CC. No other company seems to cover Faroes and I spoke to most of the big ones. In general they had to contact the underwriters before giving an answer. ( after they asked where the Faroes were!)

Breakdown insurance, only one company mentions Iceland in the territorial limits that I can find and that's Saga but they have size limitations on wt(3500kgs), length (7m), width and height.

Happy travelling

Peter

We went to Iceland and the Faroe Islands last year. Wow, what countries. As has already been said, the main road circling Iceland is generally quite reasonable but the gravel roads need caution!

Some time prior to leaving I checked the 'vans insurance and, despite Iceland being considered as part of Europe, my insurance (Safeguard) didn't cover either country.

After some research, I found that Brittania (aka LV=) would cover me. I am a member of the CSMA and not sure if that helped but, I obtained cover at a reasonable cost. Thankfully it wasn't required.

Might be worth a call to them?

Peter

peterjl - 2015-03-24 12:14 PM

Hi

Thought I would update this post for anybody else Iceland bound.

The two companies I found that cover both Iceland and Faroes are Saga and C@CC. No other company seems to cover Faroes and I spoke to most of the big ones. In general they had to contact the underwriters before giving an answer. ( after they asked where the Faroes were!)

Breakdown insurance, only one company mentions Iceland in the territorial limits that I can find and that's Saga but they have size limitations on wt(3500kgs), length (7m), width and height.

Happy travelling

Peter

Thanks Peter

we are going sept /oct for 8 weeks total will look into these cheers

jonathan

Archived