European breakdown over... HELP were are over 7m long

cherrycrew

cherrycrew - 2015-03-21 12:05 PM

Hi

We are travelling Europe soon in our new motor home and I cannot find a company that will cover us for breakdown over 7m long... we are 7.618m...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Cherry

Caravan Club Red Pennant.

Alan

We have just recently joined the RAC and we are 7.86m long.

It's quite pricey at £300 for one driver and another £50ish for a second driver but the cover is for any vehicle for the policy holder .

This also covers me for my 12 year old Audi as well so was good value for us.

You also get an annual membership to the C&C club as well.

Hi Cherry got mine from Caravan guard full uk and European breakdown cover, same length as yours plus mine is 3850kg. Some only cover up to 3500kg. Very competitive this is my second year with them, they beat all quotes at renewal. Used the breakdown cover with them in my first year and no problems, top service. They now also cover mis-fuelling and being stuck in the mud, very handy....

We used RAC via a Camping & Caravanning Club scheme, which removed all limitations of size, but that was a few years ago.

Now we're with LV's Britannia Rescue, which also has no size limits - and had worked extremely well when we've had to use it abroad.

StuartO - 2015-03-23 7:42 AM

We used RAC via a Camping & Caravanning Club scheme, which removed all limitations of size, but that was a few years ago.

RAC Arrival through C&CC is UK only.

If you want European cover then C&CC offer this through INTANA and they cover up to 8 m length, 3.4 m height, 2.5 m width and 4,250 kg with a choice of Single, Annual Multi trip or Long Stay policies. But there are some restrictions on age of vehicle, ie over 10 years old or over 21 years old.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/travelabroad/travel-insurance

Keith.

Just looking at C&CC/RAC Arrival and it seems European cover is NOT standard, it is a supplement and costs extra :-(

I need to look into it further. Thanks for the heads up.

Keith.

Edit. Adding European cover to a basic Roadside package adds £78 to the basic price of £77. I can do far better elsewhere than that :-(

And they only cover 20 European countries which unfortunately doesn't include where we are going :-(

And finally if you already have Arrival you can only upgrade for the remainder of the year at full cost or failing that at time of renewal. And guess what, our renewal is while we will be away so it will cost us for 2 years :-( :-( :-(

Looked like a nice idea but...

Have a look at the Nationwide Flexplus account.

It now includes motorhome breakdown cover in the EU up to 8m and 7.5 tonnes as well as cover for other owned vehicles and ones which you are travelling in.

See :

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/~/media/MainSite/documents/products/current-accounts/flexplus/p2226-flexplus-guide.pdf

and

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/~/media/MainSite/documents/products/current-accounts/flexplus/p2221-flexplus-breakdown-policy.pdf

It also includes worldwide travel insurance up to 31 days, mobile phone insurance, extended warranty for major appliances, and commission free currency.

You have to pay a £10 monthly fee though but it's probably worth that for the insurances alone.

Alan

Suggest you email your company confirming the size and asking if it is covered. We had a similar problem and the insurance broker confirmed and I quote "I can confirm that even though there are height and weight restrictions in the policy wording - they are guidelines, you would still be covered in the event of an accident or breakdown". I will keep this with the policy when travelling.

Southender - 2015-03-21 3:43 PM

Safeguard, insurance and unlimited euro breakdown combined ...... simple.

This is who I chose - the combination (for my particular details) couldn't be beaten, especially the "unlimited" part, I think we could have got cheaper with limited mileage from other companies, but I'd rather pay the extra and never worry.

Remember to adjust the valuation of your vehicle - on our new vehicle. after two years I was surprised I had not seen a reduction in premium, so phone and gave a new valuation for the now 2 year old MH and it dropped down a nice percentage.

Archived