France, Spain and portugal road trip

hutch

Hi i am planning my trip through France in my motorhome from Calais to the Champagne region into Burgundy and the Rhone onto the Mediterranean Barcelona, Alicante and into Portugal towards Lagos area with time not really being an issue is this a nice route to take any tips would be gratefully received, thanks

hutch - 2015-03-21 2:09 PM

Hi i am planning my trip through France in my motorhome from Calais to the Champagne region into Burgundy and the Rhone onto the Mediterranean Barcelona, Alicante and into Portugal towards Lagos area with time not really being an issue is this a nice route to take any tips would be gratefully received, thanks

It depends when you are going. If in the spring or winter I would do the trip in reverse by going down the west coast of France, along the northern coast of Spain into Portugal etc in order to get nicer weather.

hutch - 2015-03-21 2:29 PM

Thank you i am going next week and i would like to travel back a different way to take in as much as possible

You would. After Portugal you would go to Alicante, Barcelona and through France to the Champagne Region etc. In other words you will be doing a circular tour and my suggestion will ensure you will avoid potentially bad weather in Northern France but benefit from better weather on your return..

You would. After Portugal you would go to Alicante, Barcelona and through France to the Champagne Region etc. In other words you will be doing a circular tour and my suggestion will ensure you will avoid potentially bad weather in Northern France but benefit from better weather on your return..

Thank you for that sounds like a good idea, first time in Europe with my motorhome :-D

Mike88 - 2015-03-21 2:35 PM

hutch - 2015-03-21 2:29 PM

Thank you i am going next week and i would like to travel back a different way to take in as much as possible

I think I'd reverse the Spanish leg as well, for the same reason. Down western France to Barcelona, on to Alicante and Portugal, back across northern Spain, across France to Burgundy, and then back up eastern France via Champagne district. Much of France is not that much warmer than UK in spring, and France is predominantly a green country because it gets its rain more or less year round. OTOH, Spain is much warmer and drier, which is why it parches in summer/autumn. The exceptions tend to be along the northern coast ("green" Spain) which is generally wetter, and the Costa Brava near the Pyrenees, which doesn't warm up so early.

It will depend on what you want to insure (health, belongings, or both) and how long you will be away. Generally, annual is cheaper if you travel more than once a year and spend several weeks away each time but, as with all things to do with insurance, this will also depend on your age and whether you have any pre-existing illnesses or conditions, or issues for which you are awaiting tests or final diagnoses.

Many home insurances can have travel/health insurance added, several bank accounts include free (or preferential rate) travel/health insurances. In some cases the time away can be increased for an additional premium, and for a further premium medical conditions can also be catered for. Age wise there seem to be three steps. Over 65 is the first, when premiums usually rise. Over 70 becomes more difficult to obtain, and over 80 gets really difficult to obtain.

You'll be likely to do best on cost by examining your existing insurances to see what additional options they provide, and possibly being prepared to switch insurer to one who offers a suitable package, in preference to trying to buy stand-alone travel insurance.

Don't forget your house and buildings insurer is likely to limit the time you can leave your house empty (the unoccupancy period) before the cover is quite radically reduced. This can often, but not always, be "bought out" by paying a supplementary premium. Quite a lot to investigae and no easy answers, I'm afraid.

This pretty much our route this year as well and we are leaving next week also. 
Giverny, Paris, Loire Valley, Dordogne Valley, Lourdes, Somport Tunnel, Pamplona, North coast Spain, A Coruna, Santiago. Then across the centre of Spain diagonally to Cuenca and Alicante.
Then up the east coast and back into France to  Arles, Avignon then across the Alps and Switzerland. 
Through Champagne on the way back to Calais.
Well that's the plan but it all depend on the weather.
Have a great trip and maybe we'll see you along the way.

Hiya,

I've spent the last two winters travelling through France, Spain and Portugal and you may be interested in looking at my blog for some ideas about what to visit and where to stay. I have listed all the aires and free camping spots that I used.

www.europenomad.wordpress.com

Be especially vigilant on the Barcelona Alicante stretch, there are some clever crooks operating there, don't respond to anyone asking you to look at a map and help them just as you open the door, another person will be in your car in a flash. The other scam is someone overtaking you pointing at your tyres as if you have a problem, ignore them. Even if it looks like a police car you are still within your rights to get to a service station. I know these tricks and was still caught with the map one losing a wallet with all my paperwork, licence, passport, healthcards etc.

yoko8pups - 2015-03-31 4:08 PM

This is put out by the foreign and colonial office

Well done to the Foreign Office. This sort of thing has been going on for years. I was attacked in a similar way on the Barcelona Ring Road in around 2006 but didn't stop.

anomad - 2015-03-28 5:51 PM

Hiya,

I've spent the last two winters travelling through France, Spain and Portugal and you may be interested in looking at my blog for some ideas about what to visit and where to stay. I have listed all the aires and free camping spots that I used.

www.europenomad.wordpress.com

Great blog! Thanks

Archived