European Gardens and Exhibitions

Tracker

Having visited and enjoyed the Chaumont Sur Loire garden festival last year and several other Chateaux, and the Floriade in Holland a few years ago we now have a taste for fancy gardens in the sunshine.

Does anyone know of others worthy of a visit please and if so could they share the info with us as if nothing else it gives me a jolly good reason to suggest the basis for yet another holiday abroad!

Many thanks folks.

I have little time for gardens but my wife loves them. I got dragged to the island garden of Mainau on lake Constance a few years ago and even I had to admit it was pretty good, even returned to it last year, great sausage, chips and a German beer to at reasonable cost.

Thanks folks, this one is not worth the time unless you are passing as it is shambolic and very few plants are named - the owners are pleasant enough though but it needs a huge investment of time and cash to get it back to it's best. http://www.lesjardinsderoquelin.com/site2/

Henry - That's how I got started on gardens, on the basis that if Dot is happy then so am I!

Mainau sounds good we can go there when we travel the Alpine Strasse in Germany.

Malc D - Thanks - Maulevrier looks like a definite for this year - according to SWMBO!

Chris - Thanks we went to Villandray last year and enjoyed it.

Try Hannover in Germany and the Het Loo palace gardens in Holland.

Two from my very limited memory, although I do remember the free flying Macaws at Het Loo!!

:-D

PS Schloss Charlottenburg is also worth a visit, another German one.

Monet's garden at Giverney is worth a look. Best go in the evening as it is much quieter than first thing, when the world and his wife try to beat the rush.

Last few time we visited, we stayed on the terrased car park opposite the entrance over night for free; no facilities, but a good spot to stay.

GPS data for the car park / Aire at Giverney: they are

Rue Hélène Pillon / Rue Claude Monet

Giverney 27620

GPS: N 49.07627 and E 1.53415

I should also mention that there are adjacent café / restaurants

Guest Joe90

If Topariary is of interest head for Jardin Eyrignac, simply stunning, the icing on the cake being our request to overnight was met with Oui monsieur and being told we could go back in the gardens the following day on the same tickets...................and some folk ask us why we return to France year after year.

http://www.eyrignac.com/en

Villa Il Trattone, Sorrento

Palazzo Reale, Caserta

La Mortella, Ischia

Guarding de Ninfa, sermonette

Torrecchia, Cisterna di Latina

Villa Adriana, Roma

Villa d'Este, Tivoli

Villa Alobrandini, Frascati

Villa Wolkonsky, Roma

Villa Farnese, Caprarola

Villa Lante, Bagnaia

Castiello Ruspoli, Vignanello

Sacro Bosco, Bomarza

Villa Castello, Firenze

Giardino di Boboli, Firenze

Villa Gaberraia, Settignano

Villa La Pietra, Firenze

Villa I Tatti, Firenze

La Firce, Val d'Orcia

Villa Cetinale, Sienna

Villa Torrigiani, Camagliano

Villa Reale, Marlia

Orto Botanico, Padova

Villa Barbarigo, Valsanzibio

Villa Pisani, Stra

Giardino Giusti Verona

Villa Balbianello, Lenno

Isola Borghese, Lagos di Garda

Villa Melzi d'Eril, Bellagio

Isola Bella, Lagos Maggiore

Are all Monty Don's favourites.

I have a similar list for France which I have failed to complete so far.

I am not a lover of formal gardens but I do love the Public parks and gardens around Stuttgart. They have some amazing landscaping and are beatiful places. In Stuttgart you are never far from a park and gardens and you can walk from Killesburg to the town centre all through parks and gardens (miles and miles) and yet you are in the middle of a busy city and would never know it.

Another favourite is the Arboretum near Kamnik in Slovenia http://www.arboretum.si/en/ which is a lovely large park with gardens, water ponds, formal and informal gardens. It is well worth a visit if you are in the area. So out of the whole of Europe and all the places I have been I pick these two so must be good.

The campsite in Kamnik is basic but friendly and is a very interesting town and easy to do a day trip to Ljubljana on the old and worn out trains and visit the castle and centre which makes another great day out full on interest.

In Stuttgart you can always go out to Ludwigsburg and take an informal walk through Favorit park, see lots of deer, and then wonder up to the Palace and visit the Formal Gardens.

In 1906, Joachim Carvallo purchased the property and poured an enormous amount of time, money and devotion into repairing it and creating what many consider to be the most beautiful gardens anywhere. Its famous Renaissance gardens include a water garden, ornamental flower gardens, and vegetable gardens. The gardens are laid out in formal patterns created with low box hedges. In 1934, Château de Villandry was designated a Monument historique. Like all the other châteaux of the Loire Valley, it is a World Heritage Site. Well worth a visit!

Archived