fuses

DAZID1

Can anyone help, I have another thread going ref my electrical gremlins on or should I say in my Swift Royale 590 1997. In an attempt to get to the bottom of it I am trying to find out what the fuses under the bonnet are for, there are 4 in a little plastic box and two on their own next to two relays, the hand book does not mention them at all.

Have you got a Fiat (or Peugeot or Citroen) handbook, because they should include a diagram of the fusebox layout and fuse allocation? There may also be a list of the fuse allocations on the underside of the fusebox lid. Mine does. If you haven't got a base vehicle handbook it will be worth trying to get one - and for a 1997 vehicle a scrapyard will probably be able to help, even if the franchised dealership can't.

Mine is however a later model, otherwise I would copy and send you the list, but someone here will have a copy or will be able to provide a link.

I suspect that the fuses may not be base vehicle fittings in which case you would need a Swift model specific conversion handbook, or maybe one from that era for a similar van from Swift/Bessacarr. That said there is no guarantee that there will be a diagram or any explanation in the handbook!

If the two relays do not have their own built in fuses one of the boxes may contain fuses for the relays one of which might be for leisure battery charging and the other for the fridge to run on 12 volts both only when the engine is running. It might be possible to trace the wires feeding the fuses to see where they go.

As I recall these relays often had two fuses on each on the vans that I had from that era and they were very prone to dirty contacts and corrosion and is not uncommon for under bonnet fuses and holders, especially any that are open to the elements and road crud, to get very dirty and lose contact so carefully checking and cleaning will do no harm anyway.

Have you ensured that all the earth straps and other earth cables and connections are OK as earth problems can throw up all manner of weird symptoms.

Fuses and any dirty connections can get very warm when in use and that can be a give away that full contact is not being made.

Sorry, but never having owned a Swift I can't help other than in general terms.

Thanks for the responses, yes theses are part of the body conversion they are not fiat, the relays are for fridge and for 2nd battery to be charged they both work fine I have removed them checked them on a battery, cleaned and refitted them they both can be felt to click when the engine is started. still the fridge will not work on 12 volts. The switch does not light. I have removed on of the fuses and it cuts the feed to one of the wires that go to the 12v fridge switch, there are 3 wires to it, 2 white and one brown 12 to the bottom white one that transfers to the middle terminal brown wire I don't seem to get anything at the top white wire.

Am I right in saying nothing on the habitation side is earth return? Thats the idea I was running away with anyway.

I am just going to see how we go this weekend as we are away for 10 days, 6 on a site and the plan is 4 using Britstops.

The other thing is I only started noticing the problems when I bought a new charger the smart type, the thing pulses all the time as well I wonder if I should go back to the Old P116 power supply it had fitted as standard and start from there, but then I start to think that the two can't possibly be connected.

Daz

Archived