Fuel for Motorbikes/Scooters - where to keep?

laimeduck

We have a large underbed garage where our motorbike lives.

Those who have similar, where do you keep your can of fuel?

Or do you not have one?

I don't really want the smell of petrol coming up into the bed area.

I am thinking of keeping mine in the gas locker or is that not a good idea?

(if we have a fire & petrol & gas go up together, I imagine we'll be in orbit and won't care!)

Or should I make a rack and keep it underneath the van?

Any thoughts?

Guest peter

You already have a can of fuel under your bed. It is your bikes tank. So long a your can is well sealed and preferably made of steel, I see no problem.

Cars these days have plastic tanks with a lot more fuel on board, which you are sitting over whilst you drive.

Go figure. :D

My bike is a Sachs MadAss and there is no tank as such- the fuel is in the frame. She holds about 100 miles ~ 5 litres. There is no smell from the bike at all, but the can always smells, hence my question.

Maybe I'll not bother, but I do like the security of having some spare fuel in a can.

madass.jpg.9188c35c82ea3c3d525f3e380bed3f95.jpg

If you want/need to carry additional fuel, if there's the space(and as you mention it as an option, presumably there is?), I'd think that the gas locker was as an appropriate a place as any?

(..unless of cause, the forum's Google-boffins can come up with a reason why not? (lol) )

laimeduck - 2015-03-24 8:46 AM

My bike is a Sachs MadAss and there is no tank as such- the fuel is in the frame. She holds about 100 miles ~ 5 litres. There is no smell from the bike at all, but the can always smells, hence my question.

Maybe I'll not bother, but I do like the security of having some spare fuel in a can.

That bike looks great but damned uncomfortable for even short trips, can you get two on it? My scooter tank only holds about that but can always find a fuel station when I need one.

Not a problem I have encountered but I know some ferries are paranoid about fuel in cans. Vehicle tanks seem ok but Calmac have made people with eg rally cars dump spare petrol before boarding. I have also heard of some campers having to dump fuel for stoves before boarding. I think this has now eased but something to keep in mind.

That bike looks great but damned uncomfortable for even short trips, can you get two on it? My scooter tank only holds about that but can always find a fuel station when I need one.

I have put a rack with top box on the rear so the pillion is more secure. I find it very comfortable one up and good for shortish hops ~ 30 miles 2 up - which is all we want it for.

The beauty of the design for me is that it's light ~100Kg, it will fit into my garage with the mirrors removed - many bikes/scooters are simply too tall, it's very thin as it has no tank. That means I can also fit our 2 electric fold-up bikes in the garage as well & I still have about 130Kg payload left for the garage.

Thanks everyone - I take the point about fuel cans - I'll not bother, something else not to have to fret about. I'll just fuel up as required when we are exploring!

Archived