Using a Tow Bar mounted Ebike carrier on a rear Tailgate van

Full-timer

Is anyone using or has experience of using a carrier on a tow bar that will allow the tailgate to open when the carrier is in the tilted position

I have been informed by a dealer that the Cykell will not allow this .

According the Thule website a 916 Europower will allow the tailgate of a VWT5 to open but has anyone practical experience of this (not that I am doubting the manufacturer ;) )

The other option would be the Atera Strada DL anyone using this for a rear tailgate model.

My van is a Toyota Hiace the tailgate is very similar to the VW Transporter,

I have a Thule electric cycle rack that tilts. It was used on my Nissan Navara and I would say the handle bars would get in the way unless you twisted them. If you close to Liverpool you are more than welcome to try my rack on your van.

ilreeves - 2015-03-23 10:23 PM

I have a Thule electric cycle rack that tilts. It was used on my Nissan Navara and I would say the handle bars would get in the way unless you twisted them. If you close to Liverpool you are more than welcome to try my rack on your van.

Thank you thats very kind, but unfortunatly I am a long way from Liverpool.

Wouldnt the handlebars be furthest away from the tailgate when the Thule 916 Europower was tilted?.

When it was tilted on your Navara were you able to open the tailgated. If the handlebars were twisted would that solve the problem.

Peter

Hi Full-timer

We have a T5 transporter (Bilbo) with rear tailgate, a Thule tilting bike carrier and 2 E-bikes. As a matter of course, I turn the handlebars through 90 degrees to make it easier to put on the bike cover. The Thule carrier tilts easily and gives full clearance for the tailgate to lift. There are two settings for the tilt and it appears that it is normally set by the manufacturer on the shorter tilt setting (ie. the tailgate wouldn't swing up and gave me a bit of a fright). But as already said, it works excellently on the longer setting. One word of warning, if you're on sloping ground be careful when the bikes are in their lowered position, that they do not foul the ground.

Best of luck.

Alan

alan - 2015-03-24 1:49 PM

Hi Full-timer

We have a T5 transporter (Bilbo) with rear tailgate, a Thule tilting bike carrier and 2 E-bikes. As a matter of course, I turn the handlebars through 90 degrees to make it easier to put on the bike cover. The Thule carrier tilts easily and gives full clearance for the tailgate to lift. There are two settings for the tilt and it appears that it is normally set by the manufacturer on the shorter tilt setting (ie. the tailgate wouldn't swing up and gave me a bit of a fright). But as already said, it works excellently on the longer setting. One word of warning, if you're on sloping ground be careful when the bikes are in their lowered position, that they do not foul the ground.

Best of luck.

Alan

The Navara had a drop down tailgate and when I tilted the bikes and opened the tailgate it would just touch the handlebars on the bike in the inside of the rack. But if you twisted the handlebars through 90 degrees it had plenty of room.

I would say It should open if you twist the bars 90 degrees.

Guest Had Enough
Full-timer - 2015-03-24 6:19 PM

Hi Alan

That is good news indeed as the Atera has now been ruled out by a dealer.

How do you access this second setting?

Regards

Peter

I've sent you a PM.

Had Enough - 2015-03-24 6:43 PM

Full-timer - 2015-03-24 6:19 PM

Hi Alan

That is good news indeed as the Atera has now been ruled out by a dealer.

How do you access this second setting?

Regards

Peter

I've sent you a PM.[/quote

Reply sent

Full-timer - 2015-03-27 6:22 AM

Thank you to all who sent replies all has been sorted and problem solved :-D

So what was the final solution, for the benefit of those who contributed and anyone who may read this post in the future :-)

Keith.

Keithl - 2015-03-27 7:56 AM

Full-timer - 2015-03-27 6:22 AM

Thank you to all who sent replies all has been sorted and problem solved :-D

So what was the final solution, for the benefit of those who contributed and anyone who may read this post in the future :-)

Keith.

The solution was given by Alan in an earlier post. The 916 has 2 tilt positions one at 50 degrees and one at 70 degrees, the default set by Thule is the former but is easily to change to the latter during assembly. This adjustment is noted in the assembly instructions which are in "IKEA" format.

This 70 degree tilt should facilitate the opening of a top hinged large tailgate, I will post when I try it if this is not the case.

Regards

Peter

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update for anyone who may search the forum. The Thule 916 bike rack does indeed allow my rear tailgate to open with the rack set to the 70 degree position and does not in the default setting on the Thule. Thanks to the replies given here i was able to buy the right piece of kit for the job, very happy :)

Peter

Archived