New, nervous, excited and keen to learn

Kait K

Hi all. We are about to purchase our first motorhome and would really benefit from feedback from experienced motorhomers (motorhomists?). My husband is planning to retire in 2017 and now seems a good time to buy, while we still have a salary coming in. We visited the Camping and Caravan Show at the NEC last year and stepped into a motorhome for the first time ever!

We really liked the Auto-Trail models on show and all our subsequent research has lead us to think that this is the manufacturer we would like to stay with, It's a pretty bewildering scene for newcomers with so many manufacturers and models to contend with, but Auto-Trail seem to get consistently good reviews and appear to be highly regarded. After a lot of thought, we think our first purchase will probably be a Frontier Scout SE, around the 2005/6 vintage. Any thoughts on this model and what we should look out for would be very gratefully received.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got our first coach built MH nearly 3 years ago a 2005 Auto Trail Tracker still have it (Called Tiva) more than doubled the mileage doing 20 weeks a year over the channel all at what we think is a low cost.

Would we buy AT again yes no problem, some think vans built out side of the UK are better we know they are wrong they are just different. Our Tracker suits the 2 of us newly retired about your ages I guess as it gives us plenty of relaxing room and at night putting up the beds takes no time at all and the van is under the magic 6 meters long.

If you go on Facebook look up the Autotrail Owners Group you will find many happy campers on it ( free to join). All vans have some problems in the end you pays your money etc.

We are away again this weekend in Southport at the CC site along with a few other AT owners.. Lake District and Norfolk in the last month making use of our van all year round.

Have fun but make sure you use whatever make you buy. B-)

Good luck at the threshold of a wonderful hobby/holiday interest!

There is much to learn but I would suggest the most important thing at this stage (unless you have money to waste) is to resist the temptation to buy new. You will be unlikely to get it right first time and it isn;t just a question of choosing the most appealing layout. Buy a used motorhome to start with to mount your learning curve then you'll be able to make a better choice next year.

Hi Kait and welcome to the forum.

Autotrail are as good as any and their UK based customer support is better than most and my personal perception is that older vans were better built than newer ones although they might start to look and feel a bit dated inside, or not, according to your personal taste!

The Scout is a big van and whilst all that space and comfort is undeniably attractive a van that size can be a real handful on narrow roads and it's not always easy to find a parking slot big enough and if you go abroad ferry or tunnel costs will be higher, but hopefully not enough to stop you?

Try the beds for comfort and size and try some dummy runs with the bathroom and kitchen facilities to make sure they all meet your expectations.

2006 would be the very last of the old model X244 Ducato base vehicle and as such was the best of that model and probably a much better bet for long term reliability than one of the early next model X250 Ducatos.

I can't recall the gross weight but for such a large van it may well be over 3500kg but the payload should be ample as long as your driving license covers you over 3500kg. Three things well worth checking before you buy.

When you buy if you buy try to make sure you get essentials like at least one gas bottle and mains lead if you can.

One essential thing to do is to check for interior damp before you part with any cash and a long term warranty for this alone may be worth having as some Autotrails have been known to leak.

I use a damp tester like the one below of which there are plenty available to make my own checks when the salesman is not looking and look in all the dark corners and lockers for signs of peeling, mildew, distortion or stains which are the tell tale signs. That said it can be damp with no outward signs at all which is where the tester comes in handy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004LXXUC2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2/279-2476527-5087339?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=1Y7JCV0QABGVNPB0A1JB&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_i=B0001P0JZU

Good luck and do let us know how it develops.

There’s a lot of useful advice here

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Buyers-Guide/Motorhome-Advice-Features/_vt13

If you are particularly keen on Auto-Trail models, you can download brochures/handbooks going back to the early-2000s from here

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/downloads/brochures

Obviously I don’t know what your present circumstances and future plans are, but it’s worth repeating Tracker’s caveat about a Frontier Scout not being a small vehicle (24’ long and about 10’ high) and not light (well over 3500kg). As he says, those factors have implications regarding ease of parking and driving-licence entitlements, and you might want to consider whether a less bulky/less heavy model might not be a better choice as a first motorhome.

This 2013 forum 2-page discussion may be of general interest

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Impossible-combination-/32800/

Guest pelmetman

Congratulations B-) ..............Now all you need is a ferry ticket to enjoy motorhoming ;-) ...........

Hi

I'm surprised no one has said this already but I'd suggest you hire a large van first and see if it will go down the roads that you want to go down. Our first van at 7m was too long, too wide and with too much rear overhang to go where we wanted whereas our PVC goes anywhere we want.

Enjoy your new pastime/lifestyle.

Dave

Such an exciting time for you, and very difficult to get it right first time. I wrote a list of everything that was important to me to have in the van, I wanted a fixed bed, to be able to take one of the grandchildren with us occasionally, I did not need a microwave but wanted an oven as we use our van a lot in winter, and then drew up a short list of suitable candidates, but the size of Motorhome is crucial to a decision, we use our van weekly and I knew I did not want to be longer than 6 metres, not many shopping centres etc we cannot park in, we go the ice rink with it, but many people want and need a larger van, it all depends on your plans. Our future plans include a lot of Island hopping and a smaller van is an advantage to us, we also do not stay in one place very long, so you have to decide how you are going to use your van. Do you need a comfy lounge? We don't, if the weather is bad we lounge on the bed, if the weather is good we are outside.

So good luck, have loads of fun, it is the best thing we have ever done.

Lynne

Kait K - 2015-03-25 2:31 PM

Would a Tracker RS be considered one of the smaller motorhomes?

Like this one?

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Reviews/Motorhomes/Motorhome-review-Auto-Trail-Tracker-RS/_ch1_rw1172_pg1

At 6.1 metres it is not a big 'un - more a small to medium I would guess - and certainly a lot easier to handle and manoeuvre but at optional 3650kg it might be over the 3500kg if that matters, although the 600kg (or 450kg if 3500kg) payload is considerably better than many Autotrails!

You really have to get out there and drive a couple to see how you get on.

Looks like a workable layout as along as you are happy, as many of us are and just as many are not, to make up the beds each night.

The upside is comfortable feet up lounging without having to mess about turning the cab seats - if that too is your thing

Regarding size - you need to think about where you intend to keep it.

Useful to keep it at home if possible - for loading / unloading / topping up battery charge.

Also useful as a spare room at times - and the extra fridge at home can come in handy.

;-)

hi, my autotrail was a 2006 model Dakota. I liked the twin settees and the shower and the space. however I did no like the cheap elecs in the van, the way the wiring is set up it will allow a discharge on the main starter battery which is a very bad thing for motorhome. The 2.8 fiat engine I had remapped to enable use of 5th gear n motorways. would I buy an A/T again. No. my reasons being the cheap electrical system used, damp was starting to get into the body, materials used not so good as my old hymer. Its a tall old bus and at times a pain in high winds due to the design of the overhead cab. if it was me I would look for something newer and low profile without the overhead cab. michael

Kait K - 2015-03-25 2:31 PM

Would a Tracker RS be considered one of the smaller motorhomes?

The Tracker has just won a award from the Caravan club and in the scheme of things yes a RS is a smaller van. Look on the web for its size. Ours is the EKS Tracker with a end kitchen and most end kitchen vans are shorter. The new models are just over 6 meters as I said in my post our tracker is under 6 meters long and that makes it cheaper on ferry's and some toll roads plus much easier to park, driving makes little difference.

I have to agree with comments about the EKS Tracker, they are a handy sized motorhome with side benches. The 3 Ltr Comfortmatic's are the top dogs and are very hard to get hold of, like hens teeth. As for van conversions then a good secondhand IH RL 3 Ltr Comfortmatic is a good choice, there again very hard to come by and very pricey to.

First of all thanks so much to everyone for the advice and information. Tracker, we've already ordered the damp tester! We obviously need to reassess our priorities for this first purchase. We're going to the National Motorhome Show in Peterborough in April and have found a company in Essex who hire the Roller Team T Line 590 so will be hiring that for a long weekend soon. We're also going to visit local dealers and start to really get the feel of the different models and manufacturers. Once again, thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. We really appreciate it.

We have been at the game since the start of 1998.

If you want all the comforts of home and intend staying in one place to get to know an area big is best.

If you want to visit lots of places and explore small is best.

Our first van spec was the smallest the two of us could live in for a month without risking divorce. The first was a two berth 5m. The second 8 years later to take a grandchild a 6m. Its lean and we still have it.

Big luxurious vans are built to seduce buyers into signing on the dotted line there and then. Dont be tempted by instantaneous offers or big discounts by dealers a million miles from where you live. Sorting problems ( odds on there will be some) will cost a fortune in fuel and time.

On the first trip don't put fuel in the water tank or the other way round. I have the T shirt.

It's nice to know that everyone was in the same boat as us to start with. Tracker, we're in Kent so the Peterborough show seemed the closest and earliest one. We're going to take a look at a 2002 Tracker SE EK this weekend. With over 54,000 miles on the clock it seems pricey at £17,000 but we have to start somewhere and it's close to home. Aren't seriously considering buying at the moment now though!

If I were buying a 13 year old van I would be more happy to see 54k on the clock than I would with 24k as it does at least mean the van has been used which is what they need to keep it all working and do remember these base vans were designed to do astronomical mileages with several hundred thousand miles not being at all uncommon for a van or minibus of similar age.

We used to have a Tracker SE EK and it was a good compromise between space, size and comfort and convenience. The only real drawback was we found the loo a bit cramped for sitting and for washing at the sink but that is something only you will know if it suits you or bothers you.

We found the overcab media TV etc to be too small and a real pain to operate so I fitted a normal TV on the wardrobe wall and we watched feet up with our backs against the backs of the cab seats using pillows to make it comfy!

I would have guessed that 17 grand is about the right price. Also agree with Tracker that 54,000 is good for this van. You see very low mileage Mh's about and when you see them you realise that the configuration does not work like an over cab bed for a 60 plus year old. Climbing in is not to bad but getting out via a steep ladder O'boy NO Way. We are not big people but find our toilet and shower has as much room as we need in our 2005 Tracker and the 2002 is about the same dimensions.

You said it all in the title !

Now take the next 12 months off to visit more shows, talk to as many as you can by visiting any sites that contain a Motorhome, talk to the owners, ask as many questions as you can, read all you can.

When you think you are sure its what you would like to do then start again by hiring as has been said.

Will

As with revenge, motorhomes are a dish best served cold! Go steady on all that nervosity and excitement, and engage the little grey cells! :-D

To which end, I recommend this book. http://tinyurl.com/pvxmruf

It is written by motorhomers for motorhomers and is a fund of informatoin on things motorhome. It should answer most of your immediate questions - and quite a few you haven't yet thought of. (I have no connection with the authors/publishers. I just have a copy!)

You are at the base of a learning curve that, if skipped or rushed, has the capacity to cost you a lot and yield disappointing results.

We all learn as we go, including what we think we can, and will, do with our vans. Once you get one, ideas begin to form in the mind as you start to absorb the potential, not infrequently resulting in the conviction that the van you have is not the one you really need! Hence the excellent advice above regarding hiring before you buy.

Go to the shows, because you will be able to see a wide range of vans in close proximity, which is much more instructive than trailing around numerous dealers who almost inevitably won't have the van you really wanted to see. My advice, however, would be to leave your wallet etc at home, and not to buy at a show unless from a dealer you can easily access, and a model you really want.

Research the dealers as well as the vans. You need a well regarded dealer, not too far from home, just in case you need to go back with problems. They are relatvely complex vehicles, and things do go wrong. I would be more inclined to buy my second favourite van from a good dealer, than my favourite van from a dubious one.

Don't expect dealers to act as consultants on your behalf. Few of the staff really use motorhomes, and too many of them don't properly understand them. That is why it is important to do your own research - starting with that book, which I suggest you read from cover to cover to start with! :-D When it all comes together, you'll have a whale of a time! But, above all, don't rush things.

terry1956 - 2015-03-25 3:24 PM

hi, my autotrail was a 2006 model Dakota. I liked the twin settees and the shower and the space. however I did no like the cheap elecs in the van, the way the wiring is set up it will allow a discharge on the main starter battery which is a very bad thing for motorhome. The 2.8 fiat engine I had remapped to enable use of 5th gear n motorways. would I buy an A/T again. No. my reasons being the cheap electrical system used, damp was starting to get into the body, materials used not so good as my old hymer. Its a tall old bus and at times a pain in high winds due to the design of the overhead cab. if it was me I would look for something newer and low profile without the overhead cab. michael

. I think that the electrics have changed since 2006 ? They are now Sargent and up with the best. Certainly not ' cheap and nasty'. Don't know what year they changed ? I have had an Auto trail Savannah for over 3 years and am very happy with it, the only problems I have had have been with the Truma Combi heater/boiler and most vans have those(unfortunately) give me an Eberspacher diesel fired one ANY day.

Sorry for digressing all good advice above, especially about hiring before you buy, expensive but not as expensive as buying the wrong van . have fun looking and good luck.

Archived