New, nervous, excited and keen to learn

Kait K

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kait K - 2015-04-10 8:52 AM

Two berths would be fine but we would like to be able to carry passengers sometimes. Not an essential but nice to have if possible.

Some Autosleeper Nuevo models have two forward facing seats in the back that convert into a bench seat and then into a bed and some have an overcab bed as well but the downside is a not very comfortable bed if your joints lay where the cushions join and a significant loss of storage to footspace when the travel seats are in use but they are all under 6.00 metres in length although some are quite tall which some folk like and others don't.

Best to keep an open mind and look inside everything that you feel looks about the right length as you, as do we all, need to do a lot of eliminating before we find what we think will suit us, and even then we still get it wrong sometimes when the reality differs from our perceptions of the van in real use!

And don't be afraid to talk to other buyers as they sit in or look at vans as many of them have a wealth of experience that they are happy to share with you and you can often learn more from other users than you ever will from many sales people.

Kait K - 2015-04-09 3:23 PM

My husband is interested in panel van conversions but I don't think one would give us the space and comfort of a MH. I'm also not too keen on the sliding door...noisy, draughty and sometimes hard to shift. What do you think?

Thanks again for your help.

Many on here are panel van conversion fans - myself included. On the plus side you can drive and park a PVC virtually anywhere which makes you more inclined to use the vehicle the year round for daytrips and weekends, do not have the worries of water ingress you get on a coachbuilt and the sliding door which means you can lounge inside but feel part of the outside when the door is open. Of course you can use a coachbuilt all year but many people do not use larger vehicles between November and April although of course some do.

On the negative side, you get less space in a PVC which is more the kind of vehicle to use for touring rather than the pitch up and stay style of camping many seem to enjoy.

Perhaps your starting point ought to be to decide on how you wish to use your motorhome/PVC. If you wish to tour around, use your vehicle all year for day trips etc then a PVC is perhaps best; if you wish to stay on campsites without moving for weeks/months on end a coachbuilt is more suited to your needs.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

flicka - 2015-04-09 10:05 PM

Unfortunately the majority of 6 m vans (PVC or coachbuilt, with rear transverse bed & 1/2 dinette up front) will only accommodate 2 good size rear berths & a front single. So although 4 travel seats, they only have 3 berths. The only 6m coachbuilts with 4 travel seats & 4 berths that quickly come to mind are those with an overcab double bed

e,g, Adria Sport A571SP ------- http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/adria/sport/2015-adria-sport-a571sp-fiat-diesel-huntingdon-mfpa-8ae192154b271057014b35f401f70e10/makemodel/make/adria?featuredListing=true

True John, but I don't think Kate has mentioned the number of berths/seats she requires. I took her reference to impending retirement to mean they would use the van as a couple, so really only two berths required.

Until John retires in two year's time we would be using it for walking weekends,day trips out with grandchildren or friends (hence the extra two belted seats), visiting family in far flung parts of Europe and also for our main two week holiday next year. Two berth is fine but as we intend using it all year warmth and comfort are important, which is why I'm concerned with the sliding door and two rear doors right by the bed at the end of the cab.

Interesting to read how this started almost as a 'seen it must have it' situation but has now developed in to a more settled investigation as more factors come into play.

The question they must decide is ... exactly what DO they want from a M/H? ... for their own personal conveyance or a multitude of friends and family.

Will

Archived