changed battery on my bessacarr e725

joypot

joypot - 2015-03-26 5:10 PM

hi there, ive just changed the battery on my bessacarr e725 and now the electric windows and central locking has stopped working. has anybody any ideas as to whats wrong.

Hi Joypot.

Welcome to this forum there are a lot of helpful people on this forum but you do need to give as much detail of your problem as possible to enable anyone to help you.

I,E

1 Which battery have you changed? I take it you mean the engine battery.

2 Why did you change it? There may have been an existing problems prior to fitting the new battery.

3 Did you change the battery yourself . If not the first port of call may be to the person who fitted it for you.

4 What year is the van, what is the base vehicle make and is it still under any warranties.

With the information you give in your post I would say there is probably a fuse blown somewhere you would need to have a look in the manual to see where to find the appropriate fuse.

The engine battery was old.been on van since new in 2005.everything worked fine before the change. It was done by the local garage. They have told us it now needs to go to fiat to be recoded which is very costly or a fuse has blown.The van is a Fiat Ducato based bessacarr e725. We have never heard of this recoding.is this correct and will a fiat CAR dealership do this. We are so confused by the whole thing.

A bit late now, but I thought when changing the engine battery you should always connect another battery to the jump terminals under the bonnet to maintain power to the ECU while making the change, not just Fiat, wise to do it on any car or van with an ECU.

Looks like a trip to a Fiat or good independent dealer to get the ECU reset .

"Real men don't read instructions" - In this case it might have been wise to. (lol)

Edit:

Just noticed you said it was done by a local garage, they should have known better up to them to pay for the re-programming.

lennyhb - 2015-03-27 10:13 AM

.Edit:

Just noticed you said it was done by a local garage, they should have known better up to them to pay for the re-programming.

Agreed, if it is necessary. I assume the van re-started and ran OK after the new battery had been fitted? If so, I wonder if the functions that now don't work may come back to life after it has been driven a bit more? There is no warning against disconnecting the battery in the handbook for ours, so one would not anticipate such a problem.

I'd first ask your nearest Fiat commercial dealer if they can advise, explaining what happened. Don't go to a car dealer as there is no guarantee they'll be familiar with Ducatos. You'll need to quote the year and model, ideally the VIN, of your base vehicle.

If re-programming is required, it may be quite simple. I'd guess it will be something in the body module (assuming it has one) that needs switching back on, so possibly only necessary to connect their computer (probably a laptop) to the van and see what it shows. I doubt the people who did the battery change would have the necessary equipment to be able to do this.

If the Fiat dealer confirms it will need re-programming, if it is going to cost you money, tell the people who changed the battery before you have the work done, and tell them you hold them responsible for the cost, and ask them if they would prefer to pay the Fiat dealer themselves, or to reimburse you on presentation of Fiat's receipted invoice. Don't worry if they refuse point blank. Providing you have an invoice from them, and a report from the Fiat dealer stating that disconnecting the battery was the cause of the problem, you will have sufficient to bring a case against the battery supplier through the small claims court. If this becomes necessary, talk first to Citizens' Advice.

However, before you do any of these things, just eliminate the possibility the the two things are an unconnected coincidence. A failed fuse, a broken wire, or a dirty or disconnected connection somewhere, might equally be the cause. The wiring between the body and the doors gets flexed whenever a door is opened, and failures in this area are not unknown.

...never say never...but it seems extremely unlikely that it is a fault that will require an ECU recode.

There are numerous references to the c/l and electric window circuitry being interconnected in this vintage of Ducato, so my bet would be on it being a fuse or wiring problem.

Time to methodically check very fuse in the fuseboxes to see if anything has blown (you can prioritise the checking by reference to the handbook, and look at those that appear to be associated with windows and/or locking).

BUT, given that the battery has been changed, and there are references to one of the "Maxi" fuses on the positive battery terminal (the 80 amp one on this case) causing a similar problem, I think I would look there first (even if it is a bit of a pig to get at). The restricted space makes it difficult to manoeuvre, and there is a distinct possibility of a short during careless removing/refitting a battery.

Patently, whoever changed the battery should be responsible for finishing the job off correctly, but if they can't give you better advice than that already given, I'd be rather wary of letting them try to sort things out (though I'd be looking to get them to pay if the resolution was ultimately expensive).

I am about to change the "engine" battery on a 2004 2.3 JTD Ducato Granduca. Battery dropped to10.5V a week after a lomg run ( no alarm on) After 10 years I reckon it has had a fair run?

Lenny writes of connecting a spare battery to the " jump terminals" , Can you advise how hat can safely be done please, Space is tight and i can see difficulty in connecting the leads to the new battery if they have crocodile clips springing off them? :-S

Archived