Replacement M-H Advice please?

PeteH

Can Anyone Help?

I have a short list of potential Motor homes. On various Base models.

Rapido, Fiat and Merc; Hobby Fiat. Le Voyager Merc;

Has anyone had experience of any of these, Good or bad. Pointers as to what to look out for would be nice too?

Thanks

Pete

We have a LeVoyaguer on the merc 3ltr manual and previously with auto.

The present one being the 850 and previous to that the 950.

Should you have any question I'd be only to happy with the importer and the factory.

Den

PJay - 2015-03-28 1:14 PM

Would think a b it more info would help. What size, layout , price , as we all have our preferences

PJay

To be fair, the layout etc would not be specific. I am more interested in peoples experiences with the Brand and base Units, than as to if or not a particular layout fits.

Pete

Relatively few of us acquire experience of several base vehicle types and individual experience od brands and base vehicles can only give you isolated examples of expereince with them, so I think you might not get much useful information.

I had a 1989 Laika on a Peugeot (i.e. Sevel) base and it was hopeless for payload but the base vehicle behaved faultlessly. Second one was a 1990 Hymer B694 (tag axle, Fiat based) which was built

like the proverbial brick outhouse and both base vehicle and Hymer construction/engineering were flawless.

Current motorhome is a 2006 Hymer B674, also Fiat-based. Not so solidly built as the earlier MH by Hymer and some issues of inadequate fastenings but they were resolveable and the engineering design and execution of the MH bits was otherwise excellent. Fiat gearbox failed spectacularly early in service but Fiat replaced it FOC without fuss. Otherwise nine years of excellent service and we remain big fans of both Hymer and Fiat/Sevel. Ours is one of the last of the earlier X244 chassis (with 2.8JTD and Alko rear end) which has been reliable and tows a car/trailer well.

We have done a relatively low mileage, only about 40,000, and the MH has been garaged and on EHU when not touring, which has undoubtedly helped - for example although the original starter battery was replaced last year, the exide leisure batteries are still going strong. It also gets a good annual mechanical service and periodic waxoyling underneath, which I think pays dividends when you are keeping a vehicle well into what (as a commercial van) would be well beyond it's normal service life.

Once upon a time I would have regarded a Mercedes base as having premium value but no base vehicle is perfect or perfectly reliable and I've been more than happy with our Fiat, so no longer bothered. I think we MH owners are lucky that our vehicle are based on commercial chassis which are very widely used and therefore are fundamentally very durable and reliable. Not sure I would be brave enough to buy a Renault but Fiat, Merecedes and Iveco are probably all OK and you have to be unlucky to suffer serious failure.

Manufacturers have got clever with comforts and style ad layouts, eg swing wall bathrooms to exploit space well, island beds even in smaller MHs, but they also seem to have got meaner/cheekier with basics like payload and the carrying capacity of things like fresh water. For example Hymer now expect you to travel with only 20 litres of fresh water in the tank (and all their payload figure assume that, which I think is just silly unless you only go from caravan site to caravan site.

I've been looking at replacing our MH to get even better payload, towing capaity and elbow room in the lounge, but you still end up having to accept compromise with this or that so we're still looking, and not with any urgency.

To which excellent post I would just add that most people are happy with what they have and, as a generalisation, those one hears from tend to be those who have experienced problems that aren't satisfactorily resolved (whether due to base or conversion, manufacturer or dealer).

Those you have mentioned are all well reputed but no make, whether base or conversion, has a completely fault-free record. I think you will need to be somewhat more selective, and try to get responses to particular makes and models, on particular bases, from particular years.

If buying second-hand, clean service records, and evidence that warranty inspections (most importantly water ingress), where required, have been carried out correctly, plus the general appearance of the vehicle inside and out, will be a better guide to whether it is worth considering. If buying new, you won't have that reassurance, but you will get at least a two year warranty instead.

Just look hard and long at what is on offer, whether new or used, and try to peer beneath the surface to see how neatly the various services have been isntalled and how securely they have been clipped into place. Look at heater installations to be satisfied they can be accessed if necessary. Try to gauge if fridges can, actually, be removed if required. Try to look underneath, to see how cluttered the underside is, and whether things are reasonably robust and shielded from knocks. Open the bonnet, and look how accessible the necessary service items are (often the Achilles heel of A type vans!).

Guest Joe90

I have had several brands and base vehicles over the years,our current and (probably our last van) is a Rapido 7087F that is now ten years old, a van that has excelled in many ways over our previous offerings in terms of layout, build quality, and the level of fittings and equipment fitted as standard, where it falls down is the Achilles heel of ALL motorhomes, all of the habitation equipment comes from a very niche sector dominated by just a few manufacturers. Two examples being the fitted fridge freezer gave us a scare recently when it was thought the cooling unite had failed, cost of a new Dometic fridge freezer £1400 plus fitting, ditto a problem with the stupid blow air heating system by Truma cost an arm and a leg to sort out, why the good old trusty convector type has largely disappeared is beyond me, does anyone really need multiple blow air outlets in something the size of your box room ( rant over ) now I hear they think we all need the added complication of a wet central heating system, go figure.

In short put a Rapido top of your list, just accept the inevitable shortcomings of the stuff they all stick in them, and make sure if buying second hand it all works ;-)

Hi

Thank You. There are some quite interesting opinions expressed. And most of it agrees with my own assessment so far.

The drawback I have is that I went from caravans to American R-V`s I still have one in the USA, Up for sale, But my experience of Euro Motor-homes is limited to driving "White vans" base vehicles on Agency! Now my HGV is gone, and I have decided to "bite the bullet" and sell the caravan, which allows us to have a Much smaller car for our daily needs.

It can`t be new, Partly on principal, But mostly because of the need to be Practical, Buying something which costs the price of a small house in my case went out with the Last R-V!!. you lose far too much money!!. On the other hand we have to consider access by someone with mobility issues. I want to avoid making beds, But favour 2 singles or a double accessible from BOTH sides. A Bathroom with elbow room and a separate shower as we tend to favour CS` CL`s and Lots of Festivals. With cab seats which swivel and form part of the seating group.

Lots to consider, an Auto Box would be nice, but not essential. As you can see it`s getting more like an R-V all the time!!. So the compromises will have to come, that I am sure of!!

Not in a raving hurry though so keep browsing.

Thanks Again

Pete

Guest peter
If you can afford it, go for the LeVoyageur (renowned quality and after sales). Our last one was brilliant in the entertaining department. It is only bettered by the Frankia we now have.

Hi

Yes . I "viewed" an Extremely Nice Le Voyager only at the weekend Probably would have bought if we could have made the front seating work for the way WE use it (nothing wrong for others probably). the quality of finish impressed, mostly.

Have had a Look at the Frankia`s. One drawback, In my price bracket, currently is the fact the the vast majority for sale, have the bed high over garage arrangement which for disabilities make access impossible.

So still looking!

Pete

Hi

Nice looking layout which I once would have favoured. But 2 years with the "French" (Corner) bed in my current caravan, has made us realise that the "Nightly Needs" of age, and disability, are a drawback as one partner HAS to climb over the other to use the "facilities", which is in part the reason to change. We need either Twin Beds. or a double both can access independently.

There is out there an extremely nice 965M Auto. on the Merc; underpinnings, But about 10K over my current Budget.

Pete

Archived