internal cracked floor repair in motorhome

Dethleffs man

Had the misfortune to fall in through my doorway and crack my internal floor. The floor is vinyl topped and the crack which has indented the floor has also revealed the plywood base, the crack and indent are around 3-4" in area, anyone any tips on what i can use to fill the indent and also give it some adhesion so that it doesn't deepen and get worse?? given that it seems impossible to attack it from underneath the motorhome due to second floor level and right behind my steps i think need to effect repair from surface rather than underneath- any suggestions gratefully received! I will once done start using my carpet as a further means to cover the unfortunate occurrence, thanks for any suggestions

Dethleffs man - 2015-03-28 4:29 PM

Had the misfortune to fall in through my doorway and crack my internal floor. The floor is vinyl topped and the crack which has indented the floor has also revealed the plywood base, the crack and indent are around 3-4" in area, anyone any tips on what i can use to fill the indent and also give it some adhesion so that it doesn't deepen and get worse?? given that it seems impossible to attack it from underneath the motorhome due to second floor level and right behind my steps i think need to effect repair from surface rather than underneath- any suggestions gratefully received! I will once done start using my carpet as a further means to cover the unfortunate occurrence, thanks for any suggestions

Can you post a picture of this? It is a bit difficult to understand from the description.

For example, how has the crack been revealed from under the vinyl flooring? If the crack is under the vinyl, it should surely be invisible.

You also refer to a second floor level. Is this a double floored A class van with access into the floor void in this area?

It would probably help if you said what make, model and year of van you own, as someone may be familiar with it.

But, if just falling into the van has resulted in the ply flooring being depressed and cracked, I'm inclined to think there may be something wrong with the ply. Plywood supported as it normally is in a van floor - usually as a sandwich panel - is incredibly strong, and bits of human anatomy, not being particularly sharp and pointed, would not usually be able to cause damage of the kind you describe - at least, not without equal and opposite damage to said anatomy! :-D

Hi Thanks for the reply.

It is a strange one agreed, my motorhome is a over cab Dethleffs advantage 2006 and i have attached images if this sheds any further light on the subject. I hit the floor with full force of my knee and it must have been in-between the internal supports hence the crack and bruising to my knee! Admit that I was concerned as i am not of the over well built variety.

There does seem to be a false floor i.e. 2 layers as if the floor i cracked was the bottom floor i would have been able to see the crack when slid underneath, but there is no sign of this hence my deduction of a twin floor.

Have attached an image which may make more sense perhaps, you can see the vinyl floor in brown with pattern and the plywood shards showing. The floor is in good order as far as i can tell no depressions or signs of rot, in fact the plywood that has been revealed looks like new not rotten etc, hope its comes thru ok as new to the forum, appreciate your taking time to reply

regards

carl.

1080892356_photo1.JPG.c2d5314c6f9be9b8b97e76e3fa9d7bdf.JPG

I wonder were you carrying anything and that caused the damage or was it your knee ?

Looking at the damage I would be inclined to find a paint match first in order to hide the difference, then maybe use a 'diamond hard' varnish ... which would require many coats until it filled the damage level.

I say this as I use the diamond hard varnish on our squared cork tiles on the kitchen floor, after many coats all the dents and depressions are levelled. This varnish dry's very quickly so I assume a little patience and lots of coatings it might work.

I cannot think of another remedy without seeing it.

Will

Thanks for your suggestion I had not heard of diamond varnish it may well be just what i need.

i took the motorhome to a professional repairers and they said its not going to get worse its sunk into the styrofoam underneath best to cover it with a hard backed carpet tile or similar, so my worse fears have been removed, but i will go and seek out this diamond varnish as a way of building up the dent before i put carpet down over the top.

by the way it was just me falling directly on to the floor and my knee denting in, i was running at the time to playing with the children! next time will stop at the motorhome door!!!!!

regards

Carl.

Although I mentioned the Diamond Hard varnish I reckon the repair kit above may be a better option and less costly as it would seem that small amounts can be used as against the varnish where there would probably be a lot left over !

It seems you must have hit the floor in just the wrong place. I think you'll need to lift the vinyl locally, if possible, so that you can get at the ply. Then use either a repair kit, or even one of those fibreglass repair kits (by Plastic Padding), if still available, where the resin has chopped glass strand mixed with it, so all you have to do is add the hardener, mix, spread with a spatula, and finally smooth down after it has cured. You'll need to clean any of the vinyl adhesive off the ply, and rougeh the surface a bit to aid bonding. But the glass strand would reinforce the repair, so that the risk of future pressure on the cracked ply, causing the split to spread further, would be reduced as far as possible. If you initially cut the vinyl cleanly, making a cross centered on the split, and then peel back the four quadrants to expose the ply, to give yourself some working space, you should find that the vinyl will go back cleanly and, once stuck down, the cuts will become invisible (short of examining it with a magnifying glass) within its patterned and slightly textured finish.

Archived