Single beds using cab seats - how comfortable?

candapack

As long as it is the foot end it should not be an issue but as a head end the cab area can be uneven, lumpy and chilly!

If you are not lovers of using cab seats for evening sitting, having to clear all the clobber off them to swivel both cab seats to make the beds up can be a real pain in proverbial especially after a long day's drive so if you can get singles that have long enough benches to make beds simply by sliding the seat forward that is a decent enough compromise for us.

We do, in preference to the other option which is across the cab and a tad too short and less convenient for getting undressed.

We think it is fine because most of the body is on the bench part. It's obviously not as comfortable as a proper bed but it does mean that the vehicle length is only 5m, even with a shower/toilet cubicle, and we can go and park almost anywhere.

colin - 2015-03-30 4:02 PM

I've had to sleep in the front bed on our Campscout when the 'girls' take up the main bed, Imo it's uncomfortable, but think that's more because the main part of bed hasn't got slats.

What we need is a scale of 1 to 10. 1 is like sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag, 10 is like a high quality pocket sprung mattress. :-D

Muswell - 2015-03-30 4:59 PM

What we need is a scale of 1 to 10. 1 is like sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag, 10 is like a high quality pocket sprung mattress. :-D

If only it were that simples!

Beds, like wives, are a very subjective matter and what suits some would never do for others!

Most bench seats are dual purpose foam and that often means hard enough not to distort after prolonged sitting upon but soft - or hard - enough to sleep on with comfort.

That said it is easy enough to have the seats refilled with a softer / harder foam if you like the van enough or a memory foam topper or Duvalay might help.

My old Renault has short benches that make up into a double bed but it is only 5' 8" across the van so we swivel the seats and use those for the feet end of the double. To avoid our feet slipping into the gap between the seat I put a few cushions in the gap. (These go on the top of the engine cover, it being between the seats. Not the usual config. for most 'vans, I know ) but this is not essential. I am nearly 6' tall and my wife is just 5' 1" and it suits us both. The 5' 8" bed width is a bit odd though: it could sleep three!

Harvey

Tracker - 2015-03-30 5:51 PM

Muswell - 2015-03-30 4:59 PM

If only it were that simples!

Beds, like wives, are a very subjective matter and what suits some would never do for others!

Most bench seats are dual purpose foam and that often means hard enough not to distort after prolonged sitting upon but soft - or hard - enough to sleep on with comfort.

That said it is easy enough to have the seats refilled with a softer / harder foam if you like the van enough or a memory foam topper or Duvalay might help.

If your van is small enough to need to have that sleeping arrangement it is probably too small to store a Duvalay without it getting in the way, I know because I tried :-D

Muswell - 2015-03-30 7:20 PM

If your van is small enough to need to have that sleeping arrangement it is probably too small to store a Duvalay without it getting in the way, I know because I tried :-D

Good point! We replaced the 1.5" Duvalay memory foam with 1" memory foam cut from a 5' topper - much less expensive that 2 new ones from Duvalay and they both go in the under bed locker of the Warwick and I just hope they will on the Executive or we too will have to think it out again!

Personally, I would not go near them. Why? Well, for a start they are very narrow. An average double bed is 4 ft 6 inches wide so each 'half' is about 2 ft 3 ins, unless you are 'greedy'. If you use a kingsize at home then each of you has 2 ft 6 ins to play with, no where near the narrowness of the seat size.. Secondly the bed is not flat as the cab seats have sloping bases to accomodate sitting. To my mind even using this for your feet will result in a constant waking up and wriggling. Thirdly, the only real option for bedding is a sleeping bag which I gave up when I left the Scouts many many moons ago. I need a proper bed, and bedding. Plus, if you need filler cushions then you need to store these someplace and as vans with this sort of bed style are usually very compact, it all adds up

To my mind getting a good night's sleep is the basis of all the day's activities so a good bed is essential. I know othhers will disagree but that is my choice, and I choose a van to accomodate that.

My option if I ever, Lord forbid, became a widower, would be a Ducato PVC van with a cross double at the back. Then me and the dog (for company) would get a good night's sleep and do all the travelling we would wish. We did once look over a friend's Romahome and noted, under my breath, that if I sneezed, I would end up on the floor.

To my mind with all the PVC vans on the go nowadays, that tick all the boxes, why bother with hardship. However, others may disagree, as is their right.

Interesting points Dave but given how narrow many fixed beds in vans are the only other alternative seems to be a transverse bed and that means cushion juggling and a loss of standing room which we find equally unappealing.

Granted single beds in most vans do tend to be 2'3" or thereabouts but if you pull the base out a bit more you do gain a bit of knee overlap space and even though we have a 6' wide bed at home we do both sleep well in the van using two singles. Don't ask me why but we do and always have done?

The last few vans we have had have all had 5'6" at least benches and can make two level singles with the minimum of fuss but you are right in that a Nuevo we had some years back had to have the seats swivelled and raised to get sort of level and even then was not entirely flat so we used it as a transverse double which was just as much faff to make up but was at least comfortable.

We all have our own point of view and what works for some does not work for others and every van has compromises but we do not consider bed making or sleeping a hardship in isolation when taken as part of the overall van package and how it all comes together to work for us.

Guest Joe90

"What is the experience regarding comfort of people who use shortish front benches as single beds by utilising swivelling cab seats? "

Well I was very tempted by a Autosleeper Topaz earlier this year, mainly so I could get rid of the additional expense of running a car............... until the seller demonstrated the rigmarole for setting up the beds, and imaging attempting to get comfortable, mmmmm, look at the picture, does that really look as though it will cut the mustard for anything much more than the odd weekend, no thanks not for us, I'll continue to enjoy a proper mattress without all the cushion shuffling and the inevitable gaps and compromised comfort :-S

AutosleeperTopazDoubleBed.jpg.5a88d9a1c273319ec2c8f170ed35d3e6.jpg

ips - 2015-03-31 9:14 AM

Not for my back Joe.

Often Wondered How the heck you get up for a call of nature from these camper / pvc layouts. ?

With ours you press a button and the forward facing seat slides forward to meet the cab seat, which is at the same level; the backrest drops down as the seat slides forward. This leaves a passage between the seats. Or you can fill the gap with an infill cushion which can be used as a sofa back... we never do either and anyway it takes up space.

It all works fine and is easy if you accept the compromise you make to have the convenience of a small van.

candapack - 2015-03-30 12:59 PM

Not sure what else to add. What is the experience regarding comfort of people who use shortish front benches as single beds by utilising swivelling cab seats?

We had this option in our small Swift Sundance 530LP. We used it a lot especially for one night stays, did not find it a problem at all, in fact worked very well, plenty of room and comfortable. If, like Tracker, you find the effort of swivelling two seats all to much then perhaps not for you. If you are on the large size perhaps a problem but otherwise just fine.

We spent 10 weeks in our Bessacarr e510 last summer sleeping in single beds with our feet on the swivelled seats. The Bessacarr has cut out foam pads which fit down over the seat to make a level bed. Worked perfectly and made very comfortable beds. We went for the single bed option for ease of access and exit!

We used single duvets for which I made Velcro covers. We just folded the duvets in three lengthways, rolled them up tight wrapped in tge cover and used them as cushions during the day. To save having to make the bed every night I made 'bags' out of sheets which fitted tightly over the sofa cushions. During the day they were covered by a throw. Easy peasy!

Our first ‘van used the swivelled cab seats for the single beds. I would have to agree with Trackers first reply “As long as it is the foot end it should not be an issue but as a head end the cab area can be uneven, lumpy and chilly!”

As I recall, it was a long time ago, we used to put a thin cushion on the folded down back of the seat to even things out. Having said all that I don’t recall sleepless or uncomfortable nights.

The pain was always moving the clobber around the 'van and actually making the beds. Which is why we now have an Adria Twin with a fixed bed.

Cattwg :-D

Cattwg - 2015-03-31 8:22 PM

Our first ‘van used the swivelled cab seats for the single beds. I would have to agree with Trackers first reply “As long as it is the foot end it should not be an issue but as a head end the cab area can be uneven, lumpy and chilly!”

As I recall, it was a long time ago, we used to put a thin cushion on the folded down back of the seat to even things out. Having said all that I don’t recall sleepless or uncomfortable nights.

The pain was always moving the clobber around the 'van and actually making the beds. Which is why we now have an Adria Twin with a fixed bed.

Cattwg :-D

I really struggle with this answer. Surely the seat end is whatever you want it to be, are people not capable of turning around? As for the struggle/pain of making up a bed and moving stuff around, what stuff, it is a seating area what do you carry on your seats? Making up the bed a problem, when we do it we pull a couple of pillows out of a cupboard, put a sheet down and throw over a duvet, takes all of a minute.

Archived