Single beds using cab seats - how comfortable?

candapack

rupert123 - 2015-03-31 10:17 PM

Cattwg - 2015-03-31 8:22 PM

Our first ‘van used the swivelled cab seats for the single beds. I would have to agree with Trackers first reply “As long as it is the foot end it should not be an issue but as a head end the cab area can be uneven, lumpy and chilly!”

As I recall, it was a long time ago, we used to put a thin cushion on the folded down back of the seat to even things out. Having said all that I don’t recall sleepless or uncomfortable nights.

The pain was always moving the clobber around the 'van and actually making the beds. Which is why we now have an Adria Twin with a fixed bed.

Cattwg :-D

I really struggle with this answer. Surely the seat end is whatever you want it to be, are people not capable of turning around? As for the struggle/pain of making up a bed and moving stuff around, what stuff, it is a seating area what do you carry on your seats? Making up the bed a problem, when we do it we pull a couple of pillows out of a cupboard, put a sheet down and throw over a duvet, takes all of a minute.

I agree with Rupert. When we decided to buy a motorhome one of our requirements was a fixed bed or beds as I couldn't face the thought of all that bed building and making every night. However, when we came to choose we just could not find a small mh with a fixed bed and couldn't get our heads round the idea of having to climb over the other half to get out of bed.

The sofas on our Bessacarr, Bronwyn to her friends, are so easy and quick to convert that it was never an issue. Lift the base, pull out the leg, spin the seats round, roll out the duvet and hey presto!

I would just add that I did have to replace the sofa cushion on my bed because I have a very dodgy back and need a very hard mattress but that would have been the same for any bed and at least with singles the other half doesn't have to put up with 'sleeping on a road'!!

Guest Joe90

The OP could put the comfort thing to the test before committing, for singles a slap of foam 1 foot 10 inches wide, by 4 foot or so long, (probably with a knee roll) then cobble together a box with a slope to replicate a front seat squab, find a cushion in an attempt to level it up, then sleep on it.......................literally. ;-)

In our case that would be 14 weeks or so a year, don't think we'd miss our king size bed at home one bit. :D

And certainly do not miss the nightly and morning ritual of cushion shuffling and crawling about on hands and knees to make a bed that thank God didn't involve the cab seats that we had in our otherwise excellent IH PVC

Joe90 - 2015-04-01 11:19 AM

The OP could put the comfort thing to the test before committing, for singles a slap of foam 1 foot 10 inches wide, by 4 foot or so long, (probably with a knee roll) then cobble together a box with a slope to replicate a front seat squab, find a cushion in an attempt to level it up, then sleep on it.......................literally. ;-)

OR, I could visit a dealer, find a suitable van, hide in it till they lock up, then sleep in it all night.

Hmmm, probably shouldn't have started on the G and T quite so early. :-)

Guest Joe90
candapack - 2015-04-01 5:32 PM

Joe90 - 2015-04-01 11:19 AM

OR, I could visit a dealer, find a suitable van, hide in it till they lock up, then sleep in it all night.

Hmmm, probably shouldn't have started on the G and T quite so early. :-)

Chris, if they want a sale badly enough they may just go for it. ;-)

Archived