Paris

sheer lunar-see

Have never camped at Paris but suggest that it is very much like all big cities nowadays, and therefore getting worse. Possibly looking for a site maybe 20 to 30 kms out would be better, especially if it was on a rail link. Then stay in peace and travel in for the day. Beware, again as with all big cities, the beggars, they will hound you and can be aggressive. Maybe an idea is to not dress as a tourist, so wear old clothes and look nondescript, and maybe they will leave you alone.

Thanks Dave 225, I have been to Paris before many times, but not in campervan, but I do need to be close to center, as a family member is walking from Tower bridge to Eiffel tower, for charity, and as we now live in France, and have 4 dogs, that need to be supervised routinely, we thought it would be nice to see him arrive, and catch up with other family members. We are not sight-seeing, just a drink and food. Thanks bishbus, I did see that site at Indigo listed on google maps, might give it a call, thanks again.

I suggest you buy the ACSI Camping Card which comes with campsite guidebooks then use Camping International at Maisons-Lafitte. Using the ACSI card it will cost you 18 euros per night (plus tourist tax) assuming there are only 2 of you.

We stayed there, walked to the station and used the train for visits to Paris and to Versailles. The train ticket included use of the metro also.

A few year ago we stayed at the site in Bois de Bouogne which is much more expensive and in our opinion is not as pleasant a site, although we were able to cycle to a metro station for visits to central Paris.

(Sorry if my recommendation is not central enough. I made my initial post before reading your post about your needs/requirements for accommodating dogs.)

Dave225 - 2015-03-30 8:11 PM

Have never camped at Paris but suggest that it is very much like all big cities nowadays, and therefore getting worse. Possibly looking for a site maybe 20 to 30 kms out would be better, especially if it was on a rail link. Then stay in peace and travel in for the day. Beware, again as with all big cities, the beggars, they will hound you and can be aggressive. Maybe an idea is to not dress as a tourist, so wear old clothes and look nondescript, and maybe they will leave you alone.

Perhaps suggestions from those who have visited the city will be less negative.

mel wood - 2015-03-30 10:20 PM

I suggest you buy the ACSI Camping Card which comes with campsite guidebooks then use Camping International at Maisons-Lafitte. Using the ACSI card it will cost you 18 euros per night (plus tourist tax) assuming there are only 2 of you.

We stayed there, walked to the station and used the train for visits to Paris and to Versailles. The train ticket included use of the metro also.

A few year ago we stayed at the site in Bois de Bouogne which is much more expensive and in our opinion is not as pleasant a site, although we were able to cycle to a metro station for visits to central Paris.

(Sorry if my recommendation is not central enough. I made my initial post before reading your post about your needs/requirements for accommodating dogs.)

If it would suit your need for travelling with your dogs, Camping International at Maisons-Laffitte would be my choice too. 10 / 15 minute walk to RER Station. 20 minutes or so to Charles de Gaulle / Etoile. 25 minute walk to Eiffel Tower.

We stayed at Camping Indigo in October for about 4 nights. As it was fairly empty I chose a spot in the "second field" next to the weir so the roar of water drowned out any traffic noise. Plenty of dog walking space in the park with a few ladies soliciting once you get past the sports fields.

Kev

kevina - 2015-03-31 1:04 AM

We stayed at Camping Indigo in October for about 4 nights. As it was fairly empty I chose a spot in the "second field" next to the weir so the roar of water drowned out any traffic noise. Plenty of dog walking space in the park with a few ladies soliciting once you get past the sports fields.

Kev

You should take a look at the woods on the outskirts. The vans you see parked are not wilding as we use the term. We pulled into one track for lunch...and quickly left when we realised why the other van was there 8-)

Archived