Fridge Covers

elejim

Hi.

Having just read Clive Matts article Warmth and Dangerous Wind.

The Fridge Covers on my Auto-Trail are a very bad fit, this could happen to me.

How did Clive fit the screws are they concealed or has he just Screwed through from the outside, this would sound a bit rough.

Regards.

jim.

elejim - 2015-03-31 11:05 AM

Hi.

Having just read Clive Matts article Warmth and Dangerous Wind.

The Fridge Covers on my Auto-Trail are a very bad fit, this could happen to me.

How did Clive fit the screws are they concealed or has he just Screwed through from the outside, this would sound a bit rough.

Regards.

jim.

There’s no mention in Clive’s MMM piece regarding which make/design of fridge ventilation grille his motorhome is fitted with, but earlier Dometic grilles attached with a couple of fragile pathetic little plastic turnbuckle screws can become detached fairly easily when the vehicle is being driven. (I presume you are interested in securing your Auto-Trail’s ventilation grilles not the ‘winter covers’ that can be fitted to grilles.)

If you want to know exactly what he did, you might explore the following possibilities

1: PM him using his forum user-name of “Clive” (though his forum Profile shows his last logon was in September 2014, so he may no longer be an active forum participant).

2: E-mail him via the address “Clive@motts.org” shown on his website http://www.motts.org

3: E-mail MMM’s “Tech help!” (mmmtech@warnersgroup.co.uk) where Clive is the electrical expert.

I expect Clive just drilled some holes in the grille’s cover and frame for the 'security screws’ without being unduly concerned about the final effect. (After all, a couple of small inconspicuous screws are hardly going to stand out where a massive motorhome is concerned.)

It should be practicable to modify a Dometic grille frame so that the plastic turnbuckle screws could be replaced by conventional screws (or machine screws), but I doubt if Clive chose that approach.

You can get replacement plastic turnbuckles fro Dometic fridge vents apparently, although grey ones are hard to come by.

I broke one off simply by turning it and they are brittle and flimsy. They are loose too, so easily lost. I repaired it by drilling a hole through the plastic of the fitting surround so that I could use a cable tie to hold it in place instead. I happened to have some grey ones of just the right colour so it does show.

And this winter I treated myself to a set of winter blanking covers, which fix the same way, so whether they will survive the first detachment this Spring remains to be seen.

‘Turnbuckles’ for Dometic fridge ventilation grilles come in several common colours

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/CARAVAN-TEAM-LTD/_i.html?_nkw=turnbuckle&submit=Search&_sid=1145384918

but motorhome major manufacturers evidently have been able to specify non-standard colours for Dometic grilles (my Hobby had bluish white grilles) and in such cases obtaining replacement same-colour turnbuckles may verge on the impossible.

During my 9 years of Hobby ownership I must have replaced all the turnbuckles at least twice. I used to thread a cable-tie through the grille and back out, fastening it over the turnbuckle. This would not have actually helped to hold the grille in place if the turnbuckle broke (Stuart’s method would have been needed to accomplish that) but it did stop the thing from rotating, or being rotated.

Nowadays Dometic uses a different ‘slider’ retention arrangement for fridge ventilation grilles, but I think winter covers may stll be attached via the traditional turnbuckles.

Turnbuckle asking-prices range from fairly inexpensive (if one buys several to dilute the P&P charge) to eye-wateringly astronomical.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-04-03 6:02 PM......................Nowadays Dometic uses a different ‘slider’ retention arrangement for fridge ventilation grilles, but I think winter covers may stll be attached via the traditional turnbuckles. .............

Correct! Or at least, mine are.

Archived