Travel Insurance

Don Madge

Looked Good....and I was getting excited .... The first questions is .... 'Have you or any member of the party ever been diagnosed or treated for a malignant disease (cancer), back condition, psychiatric disorder, a breathing problem or heart-related condition (including high blood pressure and high cholesterol)? ' Note the word 'ever' - answer 'yes' as I did, and you can go no further. I have been diagnosed in the past with a back condition (for which I received physio) :-(

[QUOTE]robin - 2006-10-12 3:35 PM Looked Good....and I was getting excited .... The first questions is .... 'Have you or any member of the party ever been diagnosed or treated for a malignant disease (cancer), back condition, psychiatric disorder, a breathing problem or heart-related condition (including high blood pressure and high cholesterol)? ' Note the word 'ever' - answer 'yes' as I did, and you can go no further. I have been diagnosed in the past with a back condition (for which I received physio) :-([/QUOTE] Exactly. Discrimination isnt it? I can understand the policy for age costing more & even be loaded a reasonable amount but the companies just dont want to know. The government are planning for the retirement age to rise to 70 so what are folk to do. Motorhomer

[QUOTE]MOTORHOMER - 2006-10-12 4:00 PM [QUOTE]robin - 2006-10-12 3:35 PM Looked Good....and I was getting excited .... The first questions is .... 'Have you or any member of the party ever been diagnosed or treated for a malignant disease (cancer), back condition, psychiatric disorder, a breathing problem or heart-related condition (including high blood pressure and high cholesterol)? ' Note the word 'ever' - answer 'yes' as I did, and you can go no further. I have been diagnosed in the past with a back condition (for which I received physio) :-([/QUOTE] Exactly. Discrimination isnt it? I can understand the policy for age costing more & even be loaded a reasonable amount but the companies just dont want to know. The government are planning for the retirement age to rise to 70 so what are folk to do. Motorhomer [/QUOTE] I did get past this going via the insurer's website itself (Direct Travel Insurance, I then had to sign a declaration that basically said that if my partner or I got ill from anything then we would not be covered - I quote ... >>You will not be covered for claims relating to: a) any i) respiratory condition, heart condition, circulatory condition (including hypertension, stroke, transient ischaemic attack), back condition, malignant disease or any psychiatric disorder mental illness (including stress, anxiety or depression) for which you have ever been diagnosed or received treatment; >> all because I had some physio for my back .... >:-( >:-(

I do understand why people rant at insurance companies for failing to provide cover in certain circumstances (e.g., medical cover to someone with cancer or houshold insurance for a house in a flood-prone area). BUT, you must accept that insurance companies are NOT charities. If they accept bad risks, that puts up the premiums for everyone and then what do we do - we go buy somewhere else where it's cheaper because they have not accepted bad risks. So we bring it on ourselves by buying on price. Insurance is a qualified bet - the company is betting that enough insured will be OK to cover the ones that are not together with their admin costs and profits. Sometimes they get it wrong (as with recent floods, for example) and then premiums go up. But no company is going to accept a premium from someone who is CERTAIN to claim (or almost certain). It's no longer a bet! Like it or not, that's the nature of insurance.

Can I add a comment about Moneysupermarket. com? In my experience they do not give genuine 'Best Buys' I've just looked again at their top buys for easy access savings accounts and there are several that are not listed that give much better rates than those they have - for example, Bradford & Bingley and Yorkshire both at 5.1%, Birmingham Midshires at 5.2%. The top one they list is Alliance and Lecister at 5.38%, but that drops to about 4.95% the moment you make just one withdrawal a year, and drops further for more withdrawals. I guess the reason is that the others I mentioned don't advertise on the site . . .

[QUOTE]Mel E - 2006-10-13 11:26 AM I do understand why people rant at insurance companies for failing to provide cover in certain circumstances (e.g., medical cover to someone with cancer or houshold insurance for a house in a flood-prone area). BUT, you must accept that insurance companies are NOT charities. If they accept bad risks, that puts up the premiums for everyone and then what do we do - we go buy somewhere else where it's cheaper because they have not accepted bad risks. So we bring it on ourselves by buying on price. Insurance is a qualified bet - the company is betting that enough insured will be OK to cover the ones that are not together with their admin costs and profits. Sometimes they get it wrong (as with recent floods, for example) and then premiums go up. But no company is going to accept a premium from someone who is CERTAIN to claim (or almost certain). It's no longer a bet! Like it or not, that's the nature of insurance.[/QUOTE] Mel I think you may have missed my point :-| Of course, I fully accept that companies have to make a risk assessment. My point is that I am a very healthy person who has not been ill for yonks and have never been hospitalised. Because I have been treated for one of the listed ailments in the past (back pain), both my partner and I would not be covered for the complete list of ailments in the restricted list.. I can only conclude that this policy is cheap because they do not carry the overhead of a granular and fairer approach to risk assessment; or, more cynically, that they anticipate that many applicants won't read the small print and therefore won't realise the restrictions that apply to them. Dishonesty is not to be considered, as it would all be revealed in the event of a claim. I will continue to obtain my cover from my trusty finance service provider (Nationwide) which, whilst being a little more expensive, provides the cover that I require. :-S

Archived