Cleaning the roof

Billggski

What could possibly go wrong?

Ladder up the side, long brush, caravan cleaner from Aldi, easy -peasy.

Then the ladder starts to slip, 70 next month, replacement hip, wife out with friends, no-one to hear me, all this flashing before my eyes as I watch the ground approaching in slow motion.

Just jump out of the way in time, land on my back, winded, twisted ankle, various bruises, lucky sod.

Did I get any sympathy?

I think you know the answer.

Guest Peter James
Billggski - 2015-04-01 6:20 PM

What could possibly go wrong?

Ladder up the side, long brush, caravan cleaner from Aldi, easy -peasy.

Then the ladder starts to slip, 70 next month, replacement hip, wife out with friends, no-one to hear me, all this flashing before my eyes as I watch the ground approaching in slow motion.

Just jump out of the way in time, land on my back, winded, twisted ankle, various bruises, lucky sod.

Did I get any sympathy?

I think you know the answer.

Bad luck and Good luck both together :-)

I got some Aldi 'Black Streak Remover' though and found it completely useless. Wheras Morrisons Savers (Cheapo) All Purpose Household Cleaner washed them off easily (lol)

I wonder if anyone has done a survey on how many elderly Motorhome and Caravan owners have 'come a cropper' trying to clean the roof of their van ? I very nearly fell off of mine, ( 3.03 metres to the ground !) but just managed to hang on, now i only do it from the sides with a long brush, could do with group of young lads (who bounce ?) doing a paid cleaning service for us 'Old Gits' (who no longer bounce).

Mine has lasted the whole winter without the 'dreaded green Algae' on the roof, thanks to applying a wash over with Gardx protector, it works fine ( a 'leftover' from a dealer 'gift' package). But think it's available on E-bay ?

Ray

I happen to have (from a former life) a very high step ladder, so I can climb that and then be chest/waist high with the MH roof. I have a garage so no problem with green or black stuff, so I can manage to clean the roof from the side with one of those extending brooms to which a hose pipe can be attached. The high step ladder can be a bit wobbly because I'm seriously overweight, but the OH usually insist on holding it steady, which helps a great deal. Unfortunately she moans a lot if she gets splashed so I have to take extra care not to do so until we've nearly finished. The high stepladder cost £69, about twenty five years ago.

I knew an active and strong motorhomer who fell backwards from an ordinary household stepladder, only 5 feet, on to tarmac, landing on his backside. He broke his pelvis, got DVT in hospital, then a pulmonary embolus, then he suffered a major stroke. Came out of hospital in a wheelchair and died within a couple of years.

Guest Joe90

There is forthcoming EU legislation to make it a criminal offence to use step ladders by anyone that has not been subjected to a risk assessment, with eye protection, a hard hat, hi viz vest, and a safety perimeter barrier to minimise the chance of landing on someone in the event of a fall.

Probably easier to ban old farts from using them all together, for me that would have been about when I was around 55, when I went a right piss baller with a running chain saw in my hand doing a spot of tree pruning. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I use a motorhome/caravan product from autoglem it is also great for cleaning hard plastic areas on the door etc. Just spray it onto the top of the area and watch the dirt run off rinse down with water or damp cloth and all as good as new.

Boxer1

Several of my customers have given me tales of similar near miss/ accidents so please be careful. Despite what some people say the green stuff will do no harm BUT it will encourage black moss which can eat into the roof surface. I often wonder what drives people to use potentially damaging products on their motorhomes ( household cleaners, Brasso etc.), I know that a lot of products labelled "Motorhome" or " Caravan" are usually a rip off but at least they shouldn't do any (lasting) damage.

GeorgeIV - 2015-04-16 8:46 PM

Not easy to find gardx on line. Anybody any ideas? And yes, I have fallen off a ladder cleaning my old Autotrail. Not enough room to get the right lean on the ladder. No bones broken, and wisdom acquired.

How about here :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gard-x-protection-kit-/121631138456?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c51c7e298

Ray

Archived