Automatic water pump

mikeymay

I am looking for a solution that would allow me to connect mains water and utilise some sort of pump to fill the MH fresh water tank. Alternatively, filling from an aqua roll.

I have spoken to autotrail autotrail they have told me that all models require a hose placing in the opening in the side and turning on. Looking at the panel inside, there are options for selecting an internal or external pump and also a timer to use this but I don't j ow what these are for or how to use.

Is there anything that would enable me to do the above and what are the internal/external pump and timer functions for?

mikeymay - 2015-04-02 2:37 PM

I am looking for a solution that would allow me to connect mains water and utilise some sort of pump to fill the MH fresh water tank. Alternatively, filling from an aqua roll.

I have spoken to autotrail autotrail they have told me that all models require a hose placing in the opening in the side and turning on. Looking at the panel inside, there are options for selecting an internal or external pump and also a timer to use this but I don't j ow what these are for or how to use.

Is there anything that would enable me to do the above and what are the internal/external pump and timer functions for?

On our van the water hose connection on the outside of the van has a 12 volt socket built in and the hose has two spigots that fit into the socket. The hose is held in place by two clips. In the van we have a short hose - a couple of feet in length - that has a small submersible pump fitted to one end. When this hose is fitted into the connection on the side of the van there are two metal probes that fit the 12 volt socket. Put the pump into an aquaroll or similar and turn the switch inside to "external pump" and the water from the aquaroll gets pumped into the main tank. We don't have a timer on ours but hope this will help.

Dave

I don't know if it's relevant but there seem to be a few models of MH about which come fitted with the Whale ,caravan style method of water filling..

http://www.whalepumps.com/rv/product.aspx?Category_ID=10009&Product_ID=11&FriendlyID=Aquasource-Mains

..I've idea what would be involved in fitting a suitable filler point?..or how compatible the actual water systems are anyway?...

But maybe worth a look..? :-)

(..as for the display unit, just because it has additional/spare icons, I wouldn't necessarily take that as an indication that your system supports those features...not as it stands anyway...)

mikeymay

I notice that this Auto-Trail internal/external water-pump conundrum has come up before

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/external-pump-on-autotrail.63944/

I believe the situation is simply that (as suggested in the MHFun discussion) the Sargent control-panel used by Auto-Trail includes an internal/external water-pump + timer feature, but Auto-Trail makes no provision for exploiting that capability. If you look at Section 4.3 (Page 9) of this file

http://www.sargentltd.co.uk/EC325_User_Instructions.pdf

you’ll see the “Pump Select?” and “Water Tank Fill” functions mentioned.

At present you are restricted to filling your Arapaho’s water tank using the method Auto-Trail has advised (which tallies with the instructions in the 2009 Auto-Trail handbook for Frontier models).

It should be practicable to modify your motorhome’s water system to allow it to be connected to a mains supply and/or to top up the tank from an Aquaroll, though I’d be wary of trying to tie such modifications into the control-panel’s functionality.

Me, I’d begin be asking myself “How much do I really want to connect to a mains supply?” as that seems to be the trickiest capability to add.

Topping up the tank from an Aquaroll should be easy enough to achieve - you just need an Aquaroll, a submersible pump on a length of water-hose and a 12V feed from the motorhome to the pump - but ‘automating’ the topping-up process would need a good deal more thought.

Archived