Newbie!

nigelF

Hi all,

Right, I'm new to all this motorhome malarkey! I've a caravan up north, so I've an idea of how these things work. My reason for joining this forum is to gain a further insight into purchasing a second hand motorhome.

I'm looking for a 3 to 4 berth and to spend 7k to 10k. Now, I know this doesn't sound much considering the eye watering amount some of them cost, but start small I say! Preferably an end kitchen, good shower as I'll be using at times when on work contracts, but not too big I can't navigate country lanes. I like coach builds with the overhead sleeping bunk.

Any advice please on where to look apart from evilBay, Gumtree and Autotrader. And, what pitfalls should I be looking out for?

Kind Regards,

Nigel

Hi Nigel...

I was going to suggest something like a Hymer....

eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hymer-B544-Motorhome-Camper-RHD-PAS-Turbo-diesel-/171741109323?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27fc915c4b

...but they may be a bit big to meet your, "navigate country lanes" criteria.....?

(having said that, their "footprint" will be no bigger than a non-A class)

For the sort of sums you're talking of, if looking at a UK made van, I'd maybe look at a monocoque Auto-Sleeper? (and budget for covers to mask the granny's parlour upholstery).

Pitfalls?...in this price bracket(or any price bracket for that matter!), WATER INGRESS/DAMP... ;-)

..and look to buy private..

Guest pelmetman
nigelF - 2015-04-02 4:45 PM

I'm looking for a 3 to 4 berth and to spend 7k to 10k. Now, I know this doesn't sound much considering the eye watering amount some of them cost, but start small I say! Preferably an end kitchen, good shower as I'll be using at times when on work contracts, but not too big I can't navigate country lanes. I like coach builds with the overhead sleeping bunk.

l

A decent reliable, and comfortable coachbuilt camper is perfectly feasible for that sort of money ;-) ..............

Although you will have to be prepared to sift through a lot of dross, things to lookout for are, full history, low previous owners, expect mileage to be low, ie sub 100k.

As Pepe mentioned the Auto Sleeper Monocoque are the ones to look out for, as they're glassfibre B-) ..........my preference would be for a Ford chassis as parts are cheap and easy to find.

Also prices tend to be lower in the winter.........happy hunting ;-) .......

nigelF - 2015-04-02 4:45 PM

..what pitfalls should I be looking out for?

Kind Regards,

Nigel

Hi again Nigel

Something I failed to mention in my earlier post, that was to check out their payload, especially if sticking below 3500kg.

Pay particular attention to it's rear axle capacity, especially as you mention a rear kitchen layout (with that in mind, also watch out for bike/scooter racks that have been bolted to the back).

Although not true for all, but older vans are more likely to be timber-framed and have sturdier(heavier) furniture...even some of the older appliances seemed to be made of heavier gauge steel.

(Having said that, payload-wise, newer vans don't seem to be much better...not after they've shoehorned in, flat screen TVs, microwaves, full sized fridge freezers etc and bolted on wind-out awnings,air con' units, Sat dishes etc :-S)

Too many MH owners seem to forget or are oblivious of the fact, that just because it can fit in it, on it or be bolted to it, doesn't necessarily mean that it's has the legal carrying capacity to be able do so...

pepe63 - 2015-04-02 5:05 PM

eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hymer-B544-Motorhome-Camper-RHD-PAS-Turbo-diesel-/171741109323?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27fc915c4b

...but they may be a bit big to meet your, "navigate country lanes" criteria.....?

No, not too big, just about right. I like a bit of extra space so as on wet weather days I can be comfortable.

This eBay Hymer looks very tidy indeed. Just finding out if it's still up for sale.

As a fledgling, I'm guessing the Hymer is a quality breed? The other option is the Auto-Sleeper and I've been also looking at this one too: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161649487311?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Any thoughts please?

Another make looks interesting is the ELDDIS AUTOQUEST 320? i.e size and layout.

Only thing is I'm down in the depths of Poldark country and my pick of MH's is very limited. So popping out of Cornwall just to view something that my not be any good is costly and time consuming. So I may consider a week out and just hit the road to view.

I also have a very tidy caravan on an old airfield near York, which I'd like to sell. A Vanroyce 400. Still, nearly in a new condition considering it's 20 years of age. How would a dealer view a part exchange or stay away from a dealer full stop?

Payload ... I would be looking to stick my bicycle on the back too, but considering the MH will only be occupied my me, I should be in weight limits, but worth keeping an eye on. Thanks.

There doesn't seem to be a lack of choice out there :-)

Thank you all for your input. Very helpful :-)

Nigel

nigelF - 2015-04-06 10:37 AM

pepe63 - 2015-04-02 5:05 PM

eg

No, not too big, just about right. I like a bit of extra space so as on wet weather days I can be comfortable.

This eBay Hymer looks very tidy indeed. Just finding out if it's still up for sale.

As a fledgling, I'm guessing the Hymer is a quality breed? The other option is the Auto-Sleeper and I've been also looking at this one too: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161649487311?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Any thoughts please?

Another make looks interesting is the ELDDIS AUTOQUEST 320? i.e size and layout.

Only thing is I'm down in the depths of Poldark country and my pick of MH's is very limited. So popping out of Cornwall just to view something that my not be any good is costly and time consuming. So I may consider a week out and just hit the road to view.

I also have a very tidy caravan on an old airfield near York, which I'd like to sell. A Vanroyce 400. Still, nearly in a new condition considering it's 20 years of age. How would a dealer view a part exchange or stay away from a dealer full stop?

There doesn't seem to be a lack of choice out there :-)

Thank you all for your input. Very helpful :-)

Nigel

Looks Ok, BUT it is 1992 made and not 2000, so beware!

Archived