Oil and gas found off British Falklands

antony1969

Get ready for crazy Kirchner sending in her boys backed backed by new Russian war planes as gas and oil has been found close to the British backed Falkland Isles

As our military now is roughly the size of our local Boy Scout unit were going to need all able bodied men on the forum to form a Dads Army style Chatterbox Volunteers

Maybe with Judgementals help form a special ebike type unit to patrol the islands ?

Your country needs you ( not Peter James )

Guest pelmetman

We could always bring out the reserve squadron Antony ;-) ..........

The Victory just needs a quick lick of paint..............whats more, sails are very green :D ..........

pelmetman - 2015-04-03 7:50 AM

The Victory just needs a quick lick of paint..............whats more, sails are very green :D ..........

Poor old Victory - she's registered disabled at present and has been for several years - no masts!

They took 'em off above the first platforms and now no one can remember where all the bits go.

Plus, if she fired her canon, they'd melt - all plastic ....... even the rats & ship's cat are plastic!

This was in Portsmouth last week, perhaps our cousins over the pond would let us borrow it for a week or so to sort out the Argies?

Theodore.jpg.aeaaa456e7d1e11e4353ead686af832f.jpg

It's perhaps as well, now that Middle East countries are getting nuclear weapons, that there sems to be some absolute no-no inhibition about using them, and they haven't been used since 1945, even though there are (I think) low-yield tactical (local area) weapons as well as the really big jobs.

But one surface to surface missile, fired from a submarine, would certainly make a big as well as precisely targetted hole in an airfield if a tactical nuclear warhead was attached and there would be no real way of detecting it before launch or stopping it once it was launched. A submarine could get down there quickly if necessary too, so no need to have one on station all the time. Give 'em fair warning of what's in propsect if they don't stop rattling sabres and you probably would have to actually fire it at all. The modern equivaent of good old fashioned gun boat diplomacy.

There is probably some big-picture reason why we have to do these things the hard way instead. Political correctness perhaps, or maybe because a similar weapon could be fired from the English Channel and hit Whitehall if the idea got around.

By the way isn't it amazing that a great big aircraft carrier like that one, together with the support ships alongside it, can simply drop a single anchor on what looks like, in the scale of things, a pretty flimsy bit of chain and just stay there?

StuartO - 2015-04-03 10:07 AM

By the way isn't it amazing that a great big aircraft carrier like that one, together with the support ships alongside it, can simply drop a single anchor on what looks like, in the scale of things, a pretty flimsy bit of chain and just stay there?

Ships have to be able to swing with the tide !

She was very impressive to see, and the sailors spent LOTS of US dollars in Gosport and Portsmouth!!

PJay

PJay - 2015-04-03 3:22 PM

StuartO - 2015-04-03 10:07 AM

Ships have to be able to swing with the tide !

She was very impressive to see, and the sailors spent LOTS of US dollars in Gosport and Portsmouth!!

PJay

It was the pull on the anchor cable that I was thinking off, with all that hull for the tide to drag on and all that windage if it blows up. I remember from my yachting days that the windage on a 30 foot mast, six inches wide, is a half ton pull on the anchor cable in a gale of wind. Scale that up to the windage of that great ship and it will be an enormous pull. I'm sure a big carrier's anchor cable will be quite a size when you get close but it must also be incredibly strong. Ships cables are of cource forged steel with studded links. It's mostly the weight and drag of the anchor cable on the sea bottom which holds the ship, rather than the digging in of the anchor, although obviously that is capable of contribution too.

I've seen one of these big US carriers anchored at Spithead and they are extremely impressive. I flew past one in a helicopter once and it was impressive from there too!

laimeduck - 2015-04-03 9:00 AM

pelmetman - 2015-04-03 7:50 AM

Poor old Victory - she's registered disabled at present and has been for several years - no masts!

They took 'em off above the first platforms and now no one can remember where all the bits go.

Plus, if she fired her canon, they'd melt - all plastic ....... even the rats & ship's cat are plastic!

This was in Portsmouth last week, perhaps our cousins over the pond would let us borrow it for a week or so to sort out the Argies?

Remember the Sheffield - and that was a much smaller target? You'd be able to hit a thing that size from the centre of Buenos Aires, no problem!

Then imagine the conversation " hello Barack, you know that aircraft carrier you lent us? Weeeeeell................................................................................................................! :-D

Guest Peter James
antony1969 - 2015-04-02 5:42 PM

(lol) They'd have to be in dire straits to call me up (lol)

But they have been discovering oil in the Falklands for as long as I can remember, and it never comes to anything except just another bottomless pit to throw money down, like everything else in the Falklands.

Falklanders, Gibraltarians etc etc all claim to be British until it comes to paying British tax *-)

Peter James - 2015-04-06 8:55 PM

antony1969 - 2015-04-02 5:42 PM

(lol) They'd have to be in dire straits to call me up (lol)

But they have been discovering oil in the Falklands for as long as I can remember, and it never comes to anything except just another bottomless pit to throw money down, like everything else in the Falklands.

Falklanders, Gibraltarians etc etc all claim to be British until it comes to paying British tax *-)

Well on that basis I must be less British than most taxpayers ... I don't want to pay what most other Brits pay either ... It's quite possible if I wake up in a month and Dead , Sturgeon and Len McCluskey are in charge I may like all the other sun seekers move to Syria or sumat

No not Syria,  please consider Australia we need a population increase to achieve some economies of scale in our manufacturing (or what is left of it). You will enjoy the sun, the coffee is good we drive on the same side of the road, our politics is the same crap as you have and we do speak a form of English. There are many other benefits, a great social security system that is almost sending the country broke, restaurants selling dishes from almost every country in the world along with open roads to drive your MH. Our caravan parks are reasonably priced and are located in some of the most spectacular locations along our beautiful coast. We also have several UK/ European brands of MH on sale here. Have I convinced you yet?

Gary

If Wallace & Scottish Caviar (get it?) get into power on May 7th, then I'll be there like a shot -................... plus my wife,- .................plus my daughter, ..................... plus my friends in London, plus.......................................................!

Old Sturgeons promising to take her knickers off for Bacon butty champ Ed or anyone else who'll help her keep out Dave and the gang from Downing Street

I guess a lot of Brits may move if the nightmare becomes reality. ... Poland , Romania and the likes are empty countries with only a handful of families still living in em ... Could be a good move

Archived