French beach site with a big pool and big pitches wanted

Zyroman

hello, we are off to France again this August but I don't relish driving all the way down to the La Rochelle area as before (an 8 and 10 year old explain that ) . We have stayed on a great Castels site in the past and although expensive they are great. We are wary of the weather further north and are looking for a nice site with a good pool area that is close to a beach and also somewhere that we can hire a car from as once set up our van which is on the big size doesn't move. Any advice would be great ??

Well if you don't want to drive as far as Rochelle that really only leaves you with Brittany (probably just as far) or the northern coast. There are lots of other Castel sites inland though. The one at Saumur is nice with very large pitches. I have been there several times (pitches are large enough for two m/homes 6.5 and 8m) but it will not usually be overly hot all the time.

Guest Joe90

If as you say you are wary of being further North after driving to La Rochelle, it sounds as though you are discounting whole swathes of France, and a long drive if wanting a beach would be the only option.

If it was me given the time of year, and the fact that just about every Frenchman? German etc is looking for what you describe I'd stay inland, and find a nice lakeside site.

And as above beaches in Brittany are likely to be equally distant and rammed, and to be honest having done much of Brittany last year it wouldn't be on my itinerary, and the seas are bloody freezing.

Zyroman - 2015-04-03 8:09 PM

hello, we are off to France again this August but I don't relish driving all the way down to the La Rochelle area as before (an 8 and 10 year old explain that ) . We have stayed on a great Castels site in the past and although expensive they are great. We are wary of the weather further north and are looking for a nice site with a good pool area that is close to a beach and also somewhere that we can hire a car from as once set up our van which is on the big size doesn't move. Any advice would be great ??

Sadly can't help you, but wanted to thank thou for introducing me to the "last castle" sites, we are planning a getaway late may with out two beautiful grandaughtrers (9 and 4) and I have been stuck for sites....

Much appreciated

Zyroman - 2015-04-03 8:09 PM

Received an email this morning from a new Castel Site, Camping le Ty Nadan, near the coast in Southern Brittany. I haven't stopped to read it all but there seems to be masses of things to interest children of all ages - kyaking, tree activities, several outside pools and slide, indoor pool, horseriding, clubs for 4 different age groups etc etc. Sounds wonderful for children but didn't look at the prices!!

The problem is that all the French and Brits want to be by the sea in August. Consider lakes and rivers, or just a big heated pool.

We stay at St. Germain les Belles, South of Limoges, which has pool, lake and playground. But probably too quiet for 8 and 10 year olds but just far enough South to get the good weather.

KeithR - 2015-04-04 7:41 PM

ay be new to castels, but a site of longstanding (I worked on it for canvas or eurocamp back in 2000). don't recall it being near the sea though???

I don't think it is either! But, according to their website they are "two steps from the sea" and in English translated as "nearby beaches". Seems quite exaggerated according to the map.

Archived