Scottish Highlands - difficult roads in a motohome?

johnlc

It's nearly 30 years since I've been to this area and the one road I remember that would be difficult in a motorhome is the Pass of the Cattle on the Applecross peninsula.

I've googled this topic but mainly get details of roads with high fatalities.

Any roads from your experience you would suggest avoiding?

Thanks

Guest Had Enough
johnlc - 2015-04-04 11:19 AMIt's nearly 30 years since I've been to this area and the one road I remember that would be difficult in a motorhome is the Pass of the Cattle on the Applecross peninsula.I've googled this topic but mainly get details of roads with high fatalities.Any roads from your experience you would suggest avoiding?Thanks

We did this two years ago in a 6.75 metre coachbuilt and found it no problem at all. Large delivery vans going to Applecross do it regularly. We returned the northern 'long way round' route, which was a very pleasant drive. I seem recollect a small camp site at Applecross if you'd like to stay the night.

There are lots of passing places and I don't remember any really scary 'edge of the road drops'.

Whether I'd do it now in my 2.35 metres wide A Class is another story, but I'd be tempted.

johnlc - 2015-04-04 11:19 AM

It's nearly 30 years since I've been to this area and the one road I remember that would be difficult in a motorhome is the Pass of the Cattle on the Applecross peninsula.

I've googled this topic but mainly get details of roads with high fatalities.

Any roads from your experience you would suggest avoiding?

Thanks

The only road in the Highlands that I would suggest you avoid is on the island of Mull.

It's the B8073 from Killiechronan to Calgary ( and on to Tobermory ).

It's not a difficult drive - just frustrating. Unlike most Scottish single lane tracks, you often can't see the next passing place so you are much more likely to be reversing back into them if / when someone comes the other way. Quite scenic, but It seemed to take us hours to get round that way.

We went into Applecross from Fearnmore ( from the north ) with no problem - a scenic route - and came out of Applecross over the Pass of the Cattle with no problem.

I would think it's a bit easier to come out of Applecross that way as the eastern side of the pass is a bit steeper.

Ours is a 6 metre van.

Driving around the highlands is no problem at all as long as you are not in a hurry.

;-)

Pass of the Cattle!

No probs. even when the mist is down to your bumpers and your heart is in your mouth!!

Mind you the Tesco /Asda vans are fearless!

A 1/2 pt. at the Applecross pub and a nice meal can calm the nerves

in preparation the longer coastal route return.

frederic

Guest Peter James
Generally the highland roads in a motorhome are far easier than Cornwall or the Lake District with their narrow lanes and untrimmed trees sticking out. Even the Cattle road to Applecross is alright in a motorhome, except in winter snowdrifts. Its a long climb, old vehicles would boil up, and its hugely strenuous for cyclists, but easy enough for us (lol)

To misquote Startrek. To boldly go where where only white van man has been before and seek out new pubs and new ales and malts.

Just how long that will be possible with the wind of change sweeping Scotland politic is a different matter altogether. Will we need to get our English Passports or will the lure of loosing tourist income prevent that.

Worries worries

Guest Peter James
George Collings - 2015-04-04 6:36 PM

Just how long that will be possible with the wind of change sweeping Scotland politic is a different matter altogether. Will we need to get our English Passports or will the lure of loosing tourist income prevent that.

Worries worries

It won't happen because as soon as the SNP gets a few votes the English Establishment gets the wind up and gives Scotland more money. I think the thing they are most scared of is losing the nuclear base at Faslane, and money is no object when it comes to defending themselves and someone else is paying.

malc d - 2015-04-04 11:52 AM

The only road in the Highlands that I would suggest you avoid is on the island of Mull.

It's the B8073 from Killiechronan to Calgary ( and on to Tobermory ).

It's not a difficult drive - just frustrating. Unlike most Scottish single lane tracks, you often can't see the next passing place so you are much more likely to be reversing back into them if / when someone comes the other way. Quite scenic, but It seemed to take us hours to get round that way.

;-)

As it happens, a group of friends and us are staying in Killiechronan House for a week from this Friday. AND, we're taking the van - 6m coachbuilt - because we have a 12 week old puppy and dogs are not allowed in the house.

We've stayed there at this time for the past 10 years or so, so we know the road well, and I agree the bit I'm not looking forward to is having the van as our only means of travel - well, except for bikes.

As for the Applecross hill road, I agree with those who say it's not that bad, but I can't agree with whoever said it was a doddle on a bike. :-D

If you can`t manage the Bealach na Bà in a motorhome then you shouldn`t be driving on the public highway in the first place. There`s nothing to it and only 1 corner needs a little thought. If you still insist on driving then take a refresher course which would then enable you to negotiate this delightful road.

Thanks for the reassurance and the great photo.

Also thanks for the comment about the Mull road.

I'm quite capable of driving it but I do find my Fifer, at 100 bhp, underpowered on hills.

I'm really looking forward to travelling on the islands in particular, and have just find a great looking campsite at the tip of the Ardnamurchan peninsula.

johnlc - 2015-04-06 9:48 AM

Nice one Robin Hood. Yes it was Resipole Farm. That helicopter pilot has missed Balmoral by a long way!

I wonder if he had posted on a helicopter forum somewhere?...and asked the question-

" Scottish Highlands - difficult to land a helicopter?" (lol)

pepe63 - 2015-04-06 9:55 AM

I wonder if he had posted on a helicopter forum somewhere?...and asked the question-

" Scottish Highlands - difficult to land a helicopter?" (lol)

....well, Charles Kennedy was there - perhaps he was the pilot?

;-)

Archived