Cassette Toilets

Veligandu

I have heard suggestions that cassette toilets should be emptied on a daily basis as opposed to when they are full. I can think of a couple of reasons for doing this but would be interested in comments from others. Thanks.

Steven

Usually empty mine daily, never sure when you will find the next emptying point, also carry a spare waste cassette. Also makes the job much easier, if you have a bench type they are heavy when full.

A bit like water always run with full tank never know where the next tap is.

I suspect that there will be wide individual variation in the pattern of emptying toilet cassette except that on Caravan Club Sites it sems to be common practice for caravanners to empty every day before 10am, as if there was a rule and the Warden might come to inspect. They sometimes seem to do it all at exactly the same time, so there is a procession along the roadway, cassettes in hand.

When we are using our own toilet for everything (i.e. including No 2s, as we do when we're not on sites) I do tend to empty as soon as the opportunity arises once solids are present and so in practice I empty daily whenever practicable. But we have a SOG system and we can keep going if necessary until the cassette is full (or at least the light has come on) with no great penalty except for having to carry the weight. We rely on having a spare cassette up our sleeve (although not literally of course) in order not to have to empty the cassette which is in use at every opportunity.

However we tend to restrict oursleves to No 1s when proper toilets are available and ideally only overnight unless caught short. Then I do tend to wait until the cassette is looking at least half full (but not much more) and this is mainly to avoid the risk of the blooming light coming on in the middle of the night.

We've only used the spare cassette a couple of times in five years or more but it's comforting to know it's there.

Veligandu - 2015-04-04 1:50 PM

I have heard suggestions that cassette toilets should be emptied on a daily basis as opposed to when they are full. I can think of a couple of reasons for doing this but would be interested in comments from others. Thanks.

Steven

In terms of functionality, I can see no reason for this. It pays not to let the cassette get over full and, in my experience, the Thetford red light comes up a bit late for certainty on this. But, emptying daily is, IMO, way over the top. Just use discretion when it seems to be getting full, and don't wait for the red light.

Thank you Lenny for your reasons for emptying the cassette on a daily basis. Useful.

The few reasons I could think of Derek were, (1) gets heavy when full (2) probably not quite as hygienic if left in tank for several days. (3) When travelling with waste in the tank, could swish around and perhaps contaminate and/or affect the workings. Look forward to hearing your reasons Derek.

Steven

Veligandu - 2015-04-04 5:48 PM

Thank you Lenny for your reasons for emptying the cassette on a daily basis. Useful.

The few reasons I could think of Derek were, (1) gets heavy when full (2) probably not quite as hygienic if left in tank for several days. (3) When travelling with waste in the tank, could swish around and perhaps contaminate and/or affect the workings. Look forward to hearing your reasons Derek.

Steven

I appreciate that Derek asked the questions, but in response to your concerns, I would say:

1) True! But ours has wheels, so it's only half as heavy. :-)

2) This is where the additive is supposed to come in. The tank is best regarded as unhygienic, IMO, and handled with respect and rubber gloves.

3) Over three vans, about 53000 miles, and and 10 years, I can only say it doesn't seem to. The contents stay put and the seals don't leak. You do need to rinse it well when emptying, to de-scale it once or twice per year, and keep the seals lubricated and soft with the Thetford spray.

The only thing is, if you go over a mountain pass, and need to use the toilet while high up, don't bend over too far while opening the main flap. The internal pressure doesn't equalise that quickly, and they are a bit prone to blow-back! :-D

Guest Joe90

I guess if you like pouring money and chemicals down the drain, and chemicals if not left long enough between number twos don't do bugger all apart from harm the environment, then leave it as long as you like until full.

If on the other hand if a disposal point is handy save your money and your back and the environment, it's screwed up enough as it is, and in the grand scheme of things how long does it take, about as long as posting on here, which some would say was a better use of their time on daily basis, even if they no longer own a motorhome :D

If last sentence was aimed directly at me ... I didn't know I could not post here anymore ?

and caravans have cassette toilets.

If it was in jest my apologies for being sensitive I have had a long stressful week. :-D

I always used to empty when full, but things changed after a session of us both having sudden doses of the TROTS!

I can assure you that funny does not describe the feeling when you know the cassette is nearly full, but there is nothing you can do to stop yourself from going a lot!

And when the bug strikes suddenly try telling your other half not to go too much because you haven't emptied the cassette. When a trip to the toilet block would be too late you are in deep s*** in more ways than one.

So, now I always empty every day, preferably fairly late in the day so that night time emergencies don't turn into disasters... 8-)

Brian Kirby - 2015-04-04 6:49 PM

The only thing is, if you go over a mountain pass, and need to use the toilet while high up, don't bend over too far while opening the main flap. The internal pressure doesn't equalise that quickly, and they are a bit prone to blow-back! :-D

Brian makes a very good point about travelling over mountain passes. We had serious toilet problems in Switzerland the year before last. Stopped at high altitude to take in the view, enjoy a cuppa and have a pee. Problem was, the Thetford flap wouldn't open at first and then the mechanism fell apart. And the cassette was then jammed and couldn't be removed from the van!! At the time I did not make the mental connection. So went to the local Thetford agent who spent 30 minutes extracting the cassette and a further ten minutes re-assembling the flap mechanism. Much lubrication added and advised there wasn't actually anything mechanically wrong. We paid our €35 for the bill and were just relieved to get the loo operational again.

Following day, and without a care in the world, stopped at a high altitude view point once more and exactly the same thing happened again!!! The penny dropped. (lol)

Fortunately, after much messing about that evening, I managed to get the cassette out myself (with the assistance of another camper) and once again re-assemble the mechanism. And from then on, everything was fine.

Now carry a spare flap mechanism - just in case! But in fact have had no more problems.

But be VERY wary of high altitudes and mountain passes!! *-)

Mike

Solomongrundy - 2015-04-04 10:08 PM

This should encourage an early disposal of your effluence rather than wait until it's full -

Amusing!! Poor Lass!!. I reckon the "customer" owes her a Large G&T or something!!!.

Mind the average R-V has up to 40GALLON of the Stuff!!!

Anyone see the Film R-V!. Robin Williams Fighting with a large Poo Snake! is hilarious.

Pete

Veligandu - 2015-04-04 5:48 PM

Steven

I habitually empty the cassette daily, for much the same reasons as lennyhb.

We rarely use campsite ‘sanitary facilities’ (so the cassette fills up quite rapidly) and have been accustomed to having a SOG ventlation system (so I don’t use odour-masking chemicals and the ‘mountain pass’ risk is side-stepped).

Years ago, not long after becoming motorcaravanners, we turned up with a near-full cassette at a remote French farm site advertised as having cassette-emptying facilities. On arrival I was informed by the site’s owner that the facilities were broken. Not good news and I recall surreptitiously decanting some of the liquid waste into a field ditch in the dark to allow us one more ‘go’ the following morning. So I’ve learned my lesson the hard way about letting a cassette get too full and, when I have the opportunity to empty the cassette, I take it.

I find it better to empty at the end of the day after traveling as the solids break down better and it's mostly liquid, we have a SOG and don't use chemicals, also if not using sites worth carrying a fold up shovel for emergency use.

Don't agree with using gloves I think it is more hygienic to wash your hands after rather than have contaminated gloves in the van.

lennyhb - 2015-04-05 1:06 PM

....Don't agree with using gloves I think it is more hygienic to wash your hands after rather than have contaminated gloves in the van.

You could always wash the gloves after use, as you would your hands. As it happens i don't bother with gloves either; I just keep my hands out of the way!

Brian says that his cassette has wheels. Does any know , if you can change the none wheeled , to wheeled ones? Or does a wheeled one not fit into the space under?

Have seen people with wheeled cassettes , and wondered if we could change to one? we do empty mostly daily,except if staying at friends , (as we do sometimes in France and Spain)as, they all have septic tanks.

PJay

Guest Had Enough
StuartO - 2015-04-05 1:56 PM
lennyhb - 2015-04-05 1:06 PM....Don't agree with using gloves I think it is more hygienic to wash your hands after rather than have contaminated gloves in the van.
You could always wash the gloves after use, as you would your hands. As it happens i don't bother with gloves either; I just keep my hands out of the way!

You have to admire a man though who's brave enough to wander to the disposal point wearing a pair of pink Marigolds! (lol)

PJay - 2015-04-05 2:14 PM

Brian says that his cassette has wheels. Does any know , if you can change the none wheeled , to wheeled ones? Or does a wheeled one not fit into the space under?

Have seen people with wheeled cassettes , and wondered if we could change to one?

PJay

Have you the room to carry something like this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PMS-International-090-265-Festival/dp/B008KX5CES/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1428246916&sr=8-11&keywords=luggage+trolley+folding

(Having said that, I can't recall ever "wheeling" our wheeled cassette anyway......)

Hi

We have a 40 litre Fiamma "Roll" Tank. to which I can strap a Cassette unit with a bungee. With which it is possible to walk Both to the Dump. (I also have a Bracket which attaches to SWMBO`s Mobility scooter and I can tow it behind!!) Works for me!!.

Interesting that one poster brought up the Time factor. I was told many years back that the Chemicals do need Time to break down the Detritus. So maybe Dumping less frequently may actually be helping?. But of course has to be balanced against not getting "caught out" when on the road.

Pete

Guest Joe90
Will85 - 2015-04-05 2:51 PM

Always carry a spade, it never fails. Stainless steel one's are available from garden centres in smaller sizes.

Will

So what exactly do you do with a spade, dig up a flower bed on a CC site.

I can just picture the scene, someone wandering off with a spade and a full cassette, possibly full of carcinogenic chemicals if your mad enough to be still using the stuff........... to where exactly, the local beach, or up a corner in a handy picnic spot, no wonder we have problems as motorhomers.

pepe63 - 2015-04-05 4:19 PM

PJay - 2015-04-05 2:14 PM

Have you the room to carry something like this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PMS-International-090-265-Festival/dp/B008KX5CES/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1428246916&sr=8-11&keywords=luggage+trolley+folding

(Having said that, I can't recall ever "wheeling" our wheeled cassette anyway......)

We do have a couple of those carriers, used to take one, but don't bother now. We have a fiammi box , so do have space. I just thought that if a wheeled one fitted, might be nice to get one, that,s why I asked if they could be interchanged. As you say you never wheel yours anyway

PJay

Archived