Tow hook and bracket advice required

Brock

I've noticed that my bolt holding the bracket into which the tow hook is screwed is not even finger tight.

My friend said that the bolt should be tight to hold the bracket on the chassis. Otherwise, there was a risk when being towed that the tow hook and bracket will become detached from the vehicle and cause damage to the front plastic panel of the van.

However, my neighbour says the bracket can be just finger tight as there should be some play in the bracket. It will not detach because it is a screw thread, neither will the tow hook as that is also a screw thread.

Must admit that I was surprised as to how loose the bracket was fixed to the van. My previous vans have all had the bracket protruding through the lower bumper.

I'd welcome advice on how tight the bracket should be fixed to the chassis. I cannot find any guidance in the manuals or through a search engine except for a BMW video which shows the bracket being tightened with a ratchet.

We're talking about the attachment for towing eye at the front of your motorhome here, not a tow breacket for towing, at the back. Towing eyes are sometimes supposed to be hand-screwed into place when needed, but the fitting into which the towing eye gets screwed, which is part of the chassis, should obviously be robust and fixed.

I suggest you take the MH either back to the dealer or to wherever you get your MOT done or failing that any local garage to get them to look at it. Tightening it up might be merely a moment's work but it obviously needs checking by someone who knows what they are doing.

Brock - 2015-04-06 9:21 AM

However, my neighbour says the bracket can be just finger tight as there should be some play in the bracket. It will not detach because it is a screw thread, neither will the tow hook as that is also a screw thread.

Please don't be fooled into believing that screw threaded items cannot detach themselves. Vibration can cause a loose nut screw or bolt to unwind itself, If a screwed item must be loose then one answer is to drill a small hole through the screw and pass a soft wire through it, tie it or attach it to another item.

There are also a variety of spring washers that can cope with lightly tightened items. They are designed to bed themselves in both parts so limiting any movement. If the unit has several screws they can be wired to each other.

To prevent a loose nut coming right off then damage the end of the thread lightly with a hammer. The nut will then remain attached until checked next time.

All the above is common practise in many industries.

Will

I concur with Will, but to add, even normal heat and cold can cause an incorrectly tightened nut and bolt to come loose and detach.

We often have to make some attachment which is required to be 'loose', the normal way would be to use a castle nut and split pin or similar.

Thanks, Lenny. The difference between our Hymers is that yours was made properly! That must be another benefit of buying abroad!

I'll get a spanner and tighten the bolt. I think it's a Fiat part but looking at how Hymer have fitted it - over the wire mesh - it doesn't seem to lie flat. I'll have a garage look at it when it next needs work.

Had Goldschmidt semi air fitted to the rear which has improved the ride. Couldn't justify full air for the near perfect ride. Travelworld did a neat job once they managed to get the right parts off Goldschmidt. They also greased the Alko nipples.

And more! Travelworld persuaded Hymer to give me four new alloy wheels because they spotted early signs of wear in one of them [i hadn't]. Still a mystery why I have Goldschmidt springs at the front. Goldschmidt had a look at my van when they were over because they couldn't understand it [no proof of fitting was issued]. They confirmed they are the heavy duty springs that are now fitted as standard. They even took the wheels off to have a good nosey.

Travelworld also spotted a slight split front gaiter on the front which Fiat fitted under warranty along with the rear brake problem that I had over the New Year. So apart from still not supplying parts [i go to Chris on your recommendation], Travelworld have been good to me. Fiat at Stoke have always been good.

Archived