Van Length?

Tracker

Tracker - 2015-04-08 10:29 AM

Crossing from Denmark through to Sweden a few years ago the tolls had price break points at 6.0 metres and the increase over 6.00 metres was substantial.

The ferries in Norway worked similar tariffs although anecdotally from talking to other visitors whilst there the Norwegians seemed to take a more relaxed approach than do the Danes.

Our van at the time was under 6.00 metres so it did not affect us.

Whenever we have toured Norway, we have been told that the van length was measured electronically at the collection point for both tunnels and bridges and that measurements were to the nearest centimetre. I have met an upset Belgian at the North Cape who had fallen foul of this system and had to pay considerably more for tunnel fees to get there because he was over the magic 6 metres. The ferries in Norway do seem more relaxed and usually it is the man walking round on the deck with a ticket machine who sets the fee by eye.

Put me down for one of those Honest Motorhomers Club badges then ...

As I've said - being a few inches over the length threshold doesn't cause me to wrestle with my conscience.

Nor would it imply the that I am a dishonest citizen, in fact in the grand scheme of things it's totally irrelevant.

Archived