Exchanged Calor Lite at last

Zydeco Joe

At last have managed to exchange the second of my Calor Lite bottles on the urgent recall LOL.

Was by chance looking at vans at Spinney motorhomes and it looked like they had a big delivery of them, exchange no problem at all just had to give them name address plus old bottle, great service many thanks. Was at Wirral country park CC club site who had some lite bottles but they said they could not exchange one due to them not getting their supplies direct from Calor.

The CalorLite recall procedure involves exchanging bottles via authorised CalorLite retail outlets. (This is made clear on the Calor website.)

As Wirral Country Park CC site is not an authorised CalorLite retail outlet (as it seems you were advised) it’s hardly surprising that they were unable to exchange your CalorLite bottle under the terms of the recall.

As Spinney Motorhomes is an authorised CalorLite retail outlet (confirmed via Calor’s website) they would have been able to exchange your bottle under the terms of the recall.

Seems simple enough to me...

I exchanged our calorlite bottle last week.

Took it in to our local camping equipment shop who is listed as an official Calor stockist.

He looked at the old bottle, said it was full, it was at least half empy, looked at the bottom which he said is where the trouble is caused by rust and told me to use the rest of the gas and then he would exchange it. I said I want to change it now as per instructions from Calor, he the tried to tell me I would be depriving another customer wanting to exchange an emptly bottle. I again told him I wanted it exchanged now which he eventually did grudgingly.

How could he tell it was OK by tapping the bottom unless he has powers we don't know about.

MrWoo - 2015-04-06 4:39 PM

I exchanged our calorlite bottle last week.

Took it in to our local camping equipment shop who is listed as an official Calor stockist.

He looked at the old bottle, said it was full, it was at least half empy, looked at the bottom which he said is where the trouble is caused by rust and told me to use the rest of the gas and then he would exchange it. I said I want to change it now as per instructions from Calor, he the tried to tell me I would be depriving another customer wanting to exchange an emptly bottle. I again told him I wanted it exchanged now which he eventually did grudgingly.

How could he tell it was OK by tapping the bottom unless he has powers we don't know about.

He was talking b ollocks, the problems are around the tap/valve on the top of the bottles

paulmold - 2015-04-06 3:57 PM

I swopped mine under the recall at a CC site, are they not all the same then.

Calor’s instructions regarding the CalorLite recall are clearly stated on their website

http://www.calor.co.uk/recall

The instructions are as follows

"Product Recall

Calor Gas Ltd is issuing a product recall with immediate effect on all 6kg CalorLite® cylinders manufactured between 2008-2011 inclusive. All such cylinders must be returned to a local CalorLite® stockist immediately.

Upon return, the customer will be issued with a free of charge replacement 6kg CalorLite® cylinder.

CalorLite® retail outlets can be found using the ‘Find A Stockist’ facility at www.calor.co.uk/find-a-stockist. Click on the CalorLite® Stockist box and press search. Or call 0800 783 4141.”

Ticking the CalorLite option-box on the “Find a Stockist” webpage

https://www.calor.co.uk/find-a-stockist

and entering a postcode or town-name will show ‘authorised’ CalorLite retail outlets within a chosen distance of the postcode/town-name. For example, within 25 miles of my home details of 12 CalorLite agents are provided and some of these agents are clearly caravan sites.

Calor has specified the terms and conditions of the CalorLite recall. Those conditions include exchanging bottles through CalorLite retail outlets and those outlets can be identified by the “Find a Stockist” facility.

If a caravan site (CC, CCC, privately owned - whatever) is listed as a CalorLite retail outlet, it should be in a position to exchange CalorLite bottles under the recall (assuming it has bottles to exchange of course!)

If a caravan site is NOT listed as a CalorLite retail outlet when the “Find a Stockist” facility is used, anyone wishing to exchange a CalorLite bottle under the recall should not expect that site to provide them with a free of charge replacement.

If the ”Find a Stockist” facility does not list the CC site that swopped your bottle as a CalorLite retail outlet, the “Find a Stockist” facility may be inaccurate or the CC site may have a recall-related arrangement with a CalorLite retail outlet.

What seems to be generally ignored is that Calor is operating the recall scheme not through common-or-garden Calor-bottle retail outlets, but through the much smaller network of Calor outlets that officially stock the CALORLITE canisters.

It turns out that Wirral Country Park Caravan Club site IS listed as a CalorLite stockist by the “Find a Stockist” facility, so should (in principle) have been prepared to exchange Zydeco Joe’s bottle under the terms and conditions of the recall. Why they refused to do this is anybody’s guess and Zydeco Joe may wish to explore this further with the site, Calor and/or the Caravan Club.

• 2 weeks later...

Result!! After much phoning around and excuses why they could not exchange a recalled lite bottle, I eventually phoned Go Outdoors in Gloucester where a very pleasant young lady named Alison advised me that they had two in stock which they would be happy to exchange for my two empty recalled bottles and would I like them reserved for me?

'You betcha bottom dollar I do please', said I and I am now the proud custodian of two full Calor lite freebies and for the first time in 50 years I feel like I have put one over on Calor! Yippee!

As back ups for my newly acquired 6kg Stako from Starvin Marvin they will do very nicely thanks Calor!

Anyone got a 6kg refillable for sale please as two would be terrific!

Archived