lost keys

jordano

...just to throw in something at a tangent....

A replacement, or second remote key from Fiat is rumoured/known to be very expensive.

A potential solution for someone who has an alarm fitted, and only got one remote key as new is to enquire whether an additional remote fob can be supplied with the alarm.

The Autowatch 695 canbus alarm fairly currently commonly fitted to motorhomes, for instance, arms via the original Fiat remote key, but can, on request and at a reasonable cost, have an additional remote fob supplied that will operate the alarm and locks (though not, of course, the ignition - it is designed to go with an existing non-remote key).

Obtaining remote access via this method, rather than via a dealer-supplied second remote key, can go a long way to defraying the costs of adding an alarm to the 'van. (The above referenced alarm is not over-expensive, fitted)

(...and. of course, if you'd lost a key, if you fitted such an alarm, you would only need another, rather cheaper, non-remote key to restore the status quo).

Hello,

If you are ever in the position of ordering an new vehicle that will be a factory order it is worth noting that extra keys can be added at this point for reasonable costs.

On the Fiat X290/X295 shopping list is a 3rd ignition key (opt561) at £50 or the extra remote key (opt4YV) at £80.

For factory ordered vehicles I would say this would be a 'no-brainer'. Why the converters don't bother to take advantage of reasonably priced but valuable extras is a mystery to me.

Nick

Brian Kirby - 2015-04-09 1:06 PM

Tracker - 2015-04-08 7:26 PM

Brian Kirby - 2015-04-08 2:52 PM

Did that include the transponder cost Colin, and its pairing, or was that extra? If extra, could you please say how much, and who did it?

If it is only £40 for a fully functioning remote locking folding key, I for one will get one now as two remote keys like you get with most normal cars is much better than one and a plain key

Colin will say if I'm wrong, but my understanding is this does not apply to the remote key, only to the non-remote spare, for which the transponder is essential to unlock the immobiliser.

To explain: we have two keys, one a remote key, which is relatively bulky and heavy and has no function other than to operate the ignition lock. The other, which is the one I take Colin to be referring to, sometime called the "garage" key, has no remote functionality, but has the transponder that communicates with the immobiliser. A spare from Fiat is a loony price, but it would be better to carry than the mostly useless remote. Hence my interest.

To Colin, thank you. It seems I just need to find an accessible branch of Timpsons. To anyone not interested, apologies for the OT.

For the same reason as you Brian I enquired at Timpsons they quoted me £55 but need to access the van.

Not sure where you are in Sussex Brian, but the Tesco's at the Holmbush Centre, Shoreham-by-Sea 50.844480, -0.248892, has a Timpsons that is accessible.

Archived