Modern Day Politicians

candapack

I know this is just an age thing, but with our politicians appearing ever more frequently on telly in the run up to the election, the one thing they all lack is.....

Gravitas.

What brought on this revelation was seeing Osborne and Balls on the news - there is just no way I can seriously think of either as a potential Chancellor (yes, I know Osborne already is).

As I said, I know it's an age thing, still depressing though.

Names please of any politicos who give you confidence that the country will be safe in their hands.

Me first - Nicola Sturgeon. There, I said it. :-D

You may well think that Chris but the way oil prices - remember Mr Salmond's claims about how oil revenue would fund his brave new Scotland - have fallen makes the Scottish no vote one of the best decisions of our age!

I have a lot of respect for Nicola Sturgeon but whilst I can see how some Scots people might think she would be good for Scotland she sure as heck would not be good for England and the UK, so thanks but no thanks!

But you are right - they all lack gravitas these days and it strikes me that anyone with real guts would be deemed far too dangerous to be allowed to become a leader!

Tracker - 2015-04-06 7:57 PM

You may well think that Chris but the way oil prices - remember Mr Salmond's claims about how oil revenue would fund his brave new Scotland - have fallen makes the Scottish no vote one of the best decisions of our age!

I have a lot of respect for Nicola Sturgeon but whilst I can see how some Scots people might think she would be good for Scotland she sure as heck would not be good for England and the UK, so thanks but no thanks!

But you are right - they all lack gravitas these days and it strikes me that anyone with real guts would be deemed far too dangerous to be allowed to become a leader!

Ah, now then Rich;

Firstly, I think Lord Salmond of Somewherenodoubt said that an independent Scotland would do quite nicely thank you very much without the oil, but it would be nice to have anyway. I do know that the dramatic fall in the oil price caught everyone out - these things happen and you just have to deal with them.

Now, Nicola, or anyway the SNP; I think you're just going to have to grit your teeth and see how a massive SNP landslide in Scotland affects the rest of the UK. Well, I hope so anyway.

And finally, I see you haven't named a politician in whom you have some confidence.

But, on a much more important topic, I see you are now down as an AS Executive owner - I wish you much joy in your travels. Are you on the ASOF forum?

candapack - 2015-04-06 9:59 PM

And finally, I see you haven't named a politician in whom you have some confidence.

But, on a much more important topic, I see you are now down as an AS Executive owner - I wish you much joy in your travels. Are you on the ASOF forum?

A politician that inspires confidence - now that really is a contradiction in terms!

Thanks for the kind thoughts - yes and no to the ASOF forum - I was but I don't go there much - will perhaps create anew persona to go with the 'new' van one day!

So please tell me do,and I promise not to tell a soul so it will be our little secret, what species of van do you have, and best to keep it in fine fettle ready to join the great escape from a bankrupt Scotland - last one out please turn off the light - Nicola!!

Guest Joe90
We have the SNP in Scotland, a nationalist party, Plaid Cymru in Wales, a nationalist party, both of whom seek to protect their culture, customs, and language.........................is there an equivalent nationalist party for England with the same aims, or would such a party be deemed racist I wonder :-S (!)

Joe90 - 2015-04-07 9:17 AM

.....................is there an equivalent nationalist party for England with the same aims, or would such a party be deemed racist I wonder :-S (!)

No, not for England - but we've got one for London and the south east called " The Westminster Village "

Might be why the rest of Britain is looking for independence.

;-)

The man who put the multi in multicultural puts his grin behind Ed today , not sure Ed will appreciate it but if Ed wins I suppose it will be something else Tony can say he made happen in the next installment of his memoirs or on the after dinner circuit

Tracker - 2015-04-06 10:38 PM

So please tell me do,and I promise not to tell a soul so it will be our little secret, what species of van do you have, and best to keep it in fine fettle ready to join the great escape from a bankrupt Scotland - last one out please turn off the light - Nicola!!

Mine is an Autosleeper Inca, 2007 vintage. Layout is exactly the same as the current Broadway EK, but slightly shorter (6m.)

(It also has a ladder which I never use, but I can't be bothered to take it off. :-D )

Joe90 - 2015-04-07 9:17 AM

We have the SNP in Scotland, a nationalist party, Plaid Cymru in Wales, a nationalist party, both of whom seek to protect their culture, customs, and language.........................is there an equivalent nationalist party for England with the same aims, or would such a party be deemed racist I wonder :-S (!)

If there was(is?), unfortunately, for what ever reason, a good many would view it as "racist"...

It's odd, isn't it...It's almost as if us "English"(or rather the establishment that oversees us), are held in a perpetual state of apology?

..and it's almost as if it's the "English" portion of the Union that is somehow carrying the can for any ills of the past?( colonialism?..or slavery? who knows what else?) and as such we are always trying to "make amends"... :-S

Whereas, the Welsh and the Scots are free to play the, poor hard done by, minority group- "..we were here first.." *Celtic card.

..*even though in truth, the majority of 'em are probably descended from the varied bunch of marauding foreigners ( ie Romans/Vikings/Normans etc etc) as us "English".... ;-)

I do not wish to get into any political 'rammmies' as they can so easily turn nasty. But..........................OOOH1 why not?

No, one of the main things that has happened in the last year is that England, or those that read their media, have suddenly discovered that the 'north' of Britain is a bit fed up with Westminster. That is not to say we did not provide many of the clodhoppers that inhabit it, but we have decided that even they need to be ousted. Again, I wouold stress that despite the inflamatory ramblings of the London based Press, the Scots have no animosity at all towards England or the English. They are, and always will be our closest friends. However, that does not stop us wanting to handle our own affairs, again as we have seen the self centred greed of the polliticians in Westminster regardless of political colour. We have managed to remove a lot of the corruption in Holyrood and would like to see the same at Westminster, but it is not likely to happen as things stand.

There are many things that people up here disagree with in the SNP portfolio, but they are atl;east attempting to improve things and they do have experience from being at Holyrood, so more and more people up here trust them that bit more. You think PMQ's are bad, youi need to see the 'rammies' between them at Holyrood. Hair pulling is just about on the cards, as all the leaders apart from LIBBIes are women. I suspect that is one of the reasons Nicola did so well, she has been in the kitchen when it has been boiling hot. Yes, their prime objective is independence, but they also know that they have to work for all the people and do on occasions get pulled up for doing the wrong things. I personally am not a SNP member but am totally p....d off with the main Parties. My own MP is Labour and a total nonentity. 99% of the people in this constituency have no idea of even his name as he has done absolultely nothing, except collect a salary and expenses. So, time to get rid of him methinks.

I also think that one should maybe view the SNP in a similar light to the new Government in Greece. Stated a lot of things before the election but are settling for pragmatic compromise after it. The same will happen here.

Dave225 - 2015-04-07 10:08 PM

My own MP is Labour and a total nonentity. 99% of the people in this constituency have no idea of even his name as he has done absolultely nothing, except collect a salary and expenses. So, time to get rid of him methinks.

I also think that one should maybe view the SNP in a similar light to the new Government in Greece. Stated a lot of things before the election but are settling for pragmatic compromise after it. The same will happen here.

Firstly, how are you going to make sure your replacement MP isn't another salary and expenses collecting nonentity?

Secondly, I think the norm for all governments everywhere is to say a lot of crap before an election, and then settle for whatever afterwards.

While stitching a cut on the hand of a 75 year old farmer, whose hand was caught in the squeeze gate while working cattle, the doctor struck up a conversation with the old man.

Eventually the topic got around to politicians and their role as our leaders.

The old farmer said, " Well, as I see it, most politicians are 'Post Tortoises'.''

Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a 'post tortoise' was.

The old farmer said, " When you're driving down a country road and you come across a fence post with a tortoise balanced on top, that's a post tortoise."

The old farmer saw the puzzled look on the doctor's face so he continued to explain. "You know he didn't get up there by himself, he doesn't belong up there, he doesn't know what to do while he's up there, he's elevated beyond his ability to function, and you just wonder what kind of idiot put him up there to begin with."

candapack - 2015-04-06 7:38 PM

I know this is just an age thing, but with our politicians appearing ever more frequently on telly in the run up to the election, the one thing they all lack is.....

Gravitas.

What brought on this revelation was seeing Osborne and Balls on the news - there is just no way I can seriously think of either as a potential Chancellor (yes, I know Osborne already is).

As I said, I know it's an age thing, still depressing though.

Names please of any politicos who give you confidence that the country will be safe in their hands.

Me first - Nicola Sturgeon. There, I said it. :-D

You having a laugh or what, maybe to see you through to independence, clap hands, there will be absolute uproar if this woman and snp are able to determine the fate of the rest of the now uk, dream on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived