First motorhome

mrm2013

I have spent a while researching at looking at options and realised on my budget I will need to compromise,

I am looking for a motorhome that is 3.5t or less as do not have C1 entitlement,

Preferences are

-Fixed bed

-Separate shower

-Minimum 4 berth

I also like A class style.

My budget is 20,000, I have found motorhomes that meet 1or 2 of the preferences but not more that are made by a 'trusted manufacturer'. I have found a 2002 Hymer B544 locally with a dealer so has all benefits, 12 month warranty, new cambelt etc etc, the motorhome is spacious and impressive plus within budget.

Could I expect to find all my preferences under budget in a post 2000 (possibly look to 1997 onwards) or am I expecting too much.

Many thanks and sorry for the newbie questions that will no doubt follow !

The Hymer 544 is a popular layout and for good reason. Buying an older vehicle allows you to have an A Class and these 2000 era Hymer vehicles were reasonably well made and dampness should not be a big problem. The engineering of the vehicle should be sound too - the plumbing and electrics.

But you're right about compromises, choosing a motorhome always involves compromises. In this case you will find that having four people on board will be a real squeeze, but for short spurts (eg with weekend guests) it is do able and using something like a porch awning could make it less of a squeeze.

Good choice, enjoy.

I had a Hymer 544 for 8 years. It was an excellent motorhome.

You say you want 4 berths. How many will be adults and how many youngsters and the ages of the latter? This is important because you will struggle to find a 3500kg motorhome that berths 4 adults unless some travel separately. With very young children, the 544 might be fine [it suited us with two boys and a dog] but when they became teenagers, the boys had to go in a tent because there was insufficient room in the 544 for comfortable living.

Separate showers tend to be in the more expensive motorhomes and generally newer ones. Off hand, I can't think of one within 3,500kg and that meets your requirements. Somebody else might.

It's the motorhome show at Peterborough soon. Can you get down there for a day? It'll have many vans on show.

Thanks. There is actually 2 adults and 4 children, but the older 2 will camp or be under an awning as in teens, so inside 2 adults and 2 kids (2 and 8). I am aware whatever way I go will be snug and need an awning/ tent too.

Thanks again for the replies, the older kids would travel in a car as we would need to take that anyway for running around ( we are used to planning everything with precision as going anywhere with 4 kids and 2 dogs is a mission), the older 2 are also at the age they are starting to holiday with friends so would not always be with us. As we both have term time only jobs it would give us lots of freedom with the younger 2 during our hols, currently we camp and end up taking 2 cars and more kit than an army, sometimes requiring a trailer. The start of the motorhome journey is to have a central point to our invasion of sites and also so my partner and I can get away without the kids and to learn for the future when they have grown up ??

To get all you want into a 3500kg van, you are going to have to make some big compromises on what you can take with you.

My 544 had a loading margin of 400kgs. Three passengers could weigh 150kgs [adult and the two youngsters]. Personal effects - food, clothing and bedding - can be 30kgs per person so lets say 120kgs for 4. So, for four of you in a van, you will have some margin on weights.

If you carry all 5 youngsters and the personal belongings - some motorhomes do have 5 seatbelts for passengers - then the maths mean you will almost on the limit with no scope for chairs, bikes, games etc.

Your biggest challenge seems to be fitting within the weight ceiling of 3,500kgs - the penalties for exceeding can be severe if caught.

Italians do some great family orientated motorhomes. Some of the quality in design is lacking but you do get a lot for your money. Have a look at Italian vans

We caravanned before we motorhomed. Without knowing your reasons for wanting to try motorhoming, I wonder if a caravan is better for family holidays on sites. It was for us. Otherwise, to get what you want, you might have to go over 3,500kgs and get the C1 entitlement. This will open up more options for you and will probably make for less stressful holidays.

Posted before seeing your post.

Sorry mrm, our posts crossed. Your plan makes much more sense now except that I would buy a caravan! You'll need a big enough car but towing is easy enough.

When staying on site for a week or more, we preferred caravanning. When touring, staying only a few nights on sites or in the wild and wandering through the continent, we preferred the motorhome.

If the older 2 are now holidaying with friends, don't be surprised if the friends want to come with you!

Thanks John

Bikes wouldn't be an issue as we don't take them but obviously everything else adds up and it will take some managing of weights and kit but sure would get there, due to constraints would probably only be maximum of 2 adults, 1 child and a toddler. Will look at some of the Italian ones, I appreciate none of the homes will accommodate us all but just looking for the biggest and best central part of our holiday base.

Thanks all for the advice

Another point to consider is that if you are full time employed term-times, you will only have school holidays in which to travel. Not much time to use your rather expensive motorhome, which won't thrive sat on your drive (or wherever) during the terms.

I'm also inclined to think a trailer caravan might be a better bet, at least until you are free of the older two, possibly longer. Then if just the two of you, even while working, you could get a compact van that would serve as daily transport.

The caravan only requires a heavier car to tow it, which gives you your holiday transport once sited. IMO motorhomes are best for touring, caravans for relatively static holidays. During school holiday periods you'll almost certainly have to book sites in advance, so the scope for spontaneous moving around will be limited.

Brian Kirby - 2015-04-07 7:22 PM

In retrospect, I realised that might have appeared a personal comment - but too late! Glad you understood!

As an ex Para and someone who works in a school with 800 kids dealing with behavioural issues, I have a good sense of humour and do not get offended easily ( this is not a challenge to test my threasehold ??), if I was the quiet sensitive type don't think I'd be buying a motorhome to holiday with 4 kids !!!

If you are anywhere near Wharton in Lancashire it would be worth looking at the motorhome place at the Blackpool end of the village, where they have a big stock of MHs of the sport of age and price range you are looking at, and at quite reasonable prices too. Some will be well used but good value and plenty of choice - forty of more on site.

Their website is http://www.motorlands.co.uk/

StuartO - 2015-04-08 10:05 AM

If you are anywhere near Wharton in Lancashire it would be worth looking at the motorhome place at the Blackpool end of the village, where they have a big stock of MHs of the sport of age and price range you are looking at, and at quite reasonable prices too. Some will be well used but good value and plenty of choice - forty of more on site.

It's not that far, thanks

Ok all motorhomed out, been to 2 dealers looked at every combination of caravan and motorhome known to man, but have a fair idea now of what I want/need and is practical, saw a good size Benimar with fixed bunks and good storage. Going to now scour private sales now I know what layouts I am after, still considering the Impala

StuartO - 2015-04-08 10:05 AM

The Benimar on the website is identical to the one I looked at yesterday, very similar mileage etc too. Currently sitting through private sales, got a couple locally to look at tomorrow ??

I think 3.500 being your main sticking point you are going to have to compromise on something! Our first Van was that, but was a two birth, yes it had a separate shower cubicle, but only one double bed or two singles.

Your list is what you would like! If you get 4 berths I think the bathroom is going to have to be smaller. You need to compromise somewhere.

My advise Look at as many vans as you can before deciding looking at

Beds

Storage ie clothes/food

Washing facilities. , you can still have a shower in a washroom and on camp sites use theirs preferably ! Making do if on Aires etc., filling your sink with hot soapy water you can still keep clean.

We have had three previous caravans that the shower was never used as O.H doesn't like the idea of steam and water spoiling his vans. *-)

Good luck and whatever you find enjoy it's a great way to holiday.

Archived