Blue Parking Badge

Budgie823

As long as you are in the vehicle when you park. We try not to use the badge on double yellow lines on main roadsas it causes problems for other road users especially with the vehicle being so wide. Side roads are okay. Places classed as "loading zones" are a no no.

No they don't ... we park where it causes no nuisance to others and on occasions we have parked away from the designated areas as I for one prefer to walk.

The ruling is Quote " The badge should be displayed at the front of the vehicle, it needs to be clearly visible so that it can be checked"

I look at many others and they all do what it says on the badge.

Some car parking points have a phone number so you could ask, I'll also ask when I see a warden next.

Will

Budgie823 - 2015-04-07 4:13 PM

I'm unable to find relevant information in the rules or online so wondered if anyone could please confirm whether I can use a blue disabled parking badge for a 7m coach built MH.

Hi

Don't forget, the Blue Badge is issued to the person not the vehicle and I'm pretty certain you can have a Blue Badge without owning a vehicle. You will find the Blue Badge particularly useful in France and Spain. We also try to park considerately but, unfortunately, at times, due to my legs I am forced to park on double yellow lines.

Alan

Yes that's correct, the person and not the vehicle, although when applying you are offered to list 3 vehicles that you will be mostly using, but not essential.

I've just checked what information we have that was issued with the badge, its 6 pages, double sided and is only about the 'person' i.e. nothing about sizes of vehicles neither car parking lines, so I assume it up to the attendant when he does his rounds which relate to any larger vehicle that doesn't fit.

For those unaware the badge is a 3 year one when the applicant will need to re-apply. It has a cost of £10 and can only be collected by the applicant. In West Sussex its collected from a Library. Last month when ours was due to be collected Mrs H could not walk to the desk so in order to prove who was who they came to us in the car park where she signed the receipt and all was well.

Will

We applied online and although it took a few weeks to get the medical evidence once submitted the Blue Badge came very quickly by post from Worcestershire CC.

Our application also asked for reg nos but when I rang to say we were changing vehicles they said it does not matter as the badge is person specific not vehicle linked.

I have no idea why they asked and neither did the very helpful chap I spoke to!

We do not abuse the priviledge by inconsiderate parking and my wife carries it in her handbag (along with heaven knows what else!) ready to use in whoever's car she is in at the time and we are finding it very handy for getting closer to places we want to walk to but are just too far from a car park, as well as the occasional free parking bonus which will soon cover the very reasonable £10 fee.

All in all a wonderful aid to mobility and we expect to be using it abroad very shortly in various EU countries which is a further bonus.

Guest Joe90

Our local Morrisons has an abundance of Blue Badge parking spaces, always usually full, God knows how all these folk manage to walk for miles up and down the endless shopping isles once inside, but somehow they manage not only that, but manage to push a ruddy great shopping trolley back to their Range Rovers.

My missus is crippled with Osteoarthritis, but was deemed not disabled enough to qualify, perhaps it's because like 99% of these folk she can make it to the car.

One of the really striking differences between the UK and France, Germany, etc is that we have lots and lots of parking spaces for the disabled and abroad they have remarkably few. That's true in America too.

On the face of it we have a far, far higher proportion of disabled people in UK than other countries. The threshold for getting a blue badge is actually quite high; so the individual concerned has to be unable to wlak more than fifty metres without severe pain or discomfort so that without being able to park close to somewhere, they wouldn't be able to cope with using the facilities. Except that some people get them by virtue of drawing certain benefits.

In practice of course lots of people, especially elderly people, acquire them and hang on to them, yet few if any of them show signs of suffering any serious difficulty walking from their cars into and around supermarkets. There is a lively trade in stolen or sold-on blue badges because they convey such valuable parking priviledges. Especially for motorhome owners, for whom they allow parking in towns where otherwise motorhome owners cannot park at all.

Of course if you are not genuinely disabled, you do need quite a brass neck.

Tracker - 2015-04-07 7:49 PM

We applied online and although it took a few weeks to get the medical evidence once submitted the Blue Badge came very quickly by post from Worcestershire CC.

Our application also asked for reg nos but when I rang to say we were changing vehicles they said it does not matter as the badge is person specific not vehicle linked.

I think this must be Local Authority specific. We (in Fife) are trying to get a Blue Badge for my F in L, He doesn't drive, but the badge would be left in his house so that me, my wife, and her brother could all have access to it when taking him to shops, hospital etc.

But the process involves forms, interviews, medical evidence etc. Certainly can't be done on line here.

Tracker - 2015-04-07 7:49 PM

I think this must be Local Authority specific. We (in Fife) are trying to get a Blue Badge for my F in L, He doesn't drive, but the badge would be left in his house so that me, my wife, and her brother could all have access to it when taking him to shops, hospital etc.

But the process involves forms, interviews, medical evidence etc. Certainly can't be done on line here.

A note of caution about using a Blue badge abroad; the entitlement to parking (and/or parking free of charge) elsewhere in the EU are not necessarily the same as in UK so for example you shouldn;t assume that you can park on yellow lines without checking local laws.

Rules in Scotland are different from England. In England you also get a time card which also must be displayed but not in Scotland. We got ours cost £25 through the local authority tho' they do not now issue it. It is now privatised and comes eventually from some quango somewhere. Otherwise no problems just use common sense and do not cause unnecessary obstruction. Incidentally at time of writing Corran Ferry is free with a blue card. Quite a saving for us regular users.

Archived