Euro's

Roy

we use nationwide debit card for 'real' money, ie cash tesco's credit for goods, to get the clubcard points, and support our local village post office, regardless of the rate, by buying any cash in advance. Don't recommend you buy at tesco calais in sterling, nationwide was a better exchange rate when we were there, and you still get your clubcard points. B-) ps- there is also a spoof book on Lynn Truss's book on pandas and apostrophes.

Mel B, yes it WAS meant as some fun - I'd hardly call myself a pedant otherwise, would I? And Chas, taking the serious point of your comment, our education sytem has never served everyone equally well, as it should. But surely, as one of the regulars on this forum has as his tag line, we should 'never stop learning'? MONEY By far the best way of getting Euros is from an ATM in a Euro country using a DEBIT card. You'll get close to the inter-bank exchange rate less about 2.75% commission. On a Nationwide Debit Card, you do not lose that 2.75%. Don't use a credit Card to draw out cash as you'll pay a surcharge. As an example of the difference, with the Euro 1.48 to £1, you'll get an effective rate of: - 1.42 for cash from most UK banks - a bit better rate from the Post Office - around 1.44 using an ordinary Debit Card - around 1.475 using Nationwide's card. The same differences apply to SPENDING on a credit or debit card. So use a Nationwide Debit Card in an ATM to get cash, and use their Credit Card for purchases, such as in supermarkets. As for Morgan Stanley, their new I24 card is commission free worldwide and also gives you 1% back on all you spend as well as free travel insurance, worldwide inclusing things such as skiing and scuba diving - and access to private airport lounges in most airports worldwide. So it could well be worth £275 a year if you use these things (sorry the small print was so small I misread it as £165).

For anyone using the Caravan Club/Frizzell Card, watch out from now on as they are now charging for using it abroad, 2.75% I think - I believe this started at the beginning of October. Mel E ... does that mean I'm forgiven then?????? (lol)

Yes Mel B The Caravan Club card (now Frizzells/Liverpool Victoria) is being taken over by Morgan Stanley. Purchases in EU will now be subject to commission. The Saga card is also run by Liverpool Victoria and EU purchases are not subject to commision.

Archived