"A" or "B"

candapack

Well?

OK, if you want it easier, what is the difference between an "A" class van, and a "B" class van. I saw a Hymer B544 today, which is apparently a "B" class, but looks for all the world like an "A" class.

As usual, your experience, knowledge, and pithy comments are all welcome.

Guest Had Enough
candapack - 2015-04-07 10:18 PM

Well?

OK, if you want it easier, what is the difference between an "A" class van, and a "B" class van. I saw a Hymer B544 today, which is apparently a "B" class, but looks for all the world like an "A" class.

As usual, your experience, knowledge, and pithy comments are all welcome.

There's no such thing as B class motorhomes. The Hymer designation B Class is no different from calling a BMW an M3 or M5, it's a model range.

Just to complicate life though Hymer B Class motorhomes are A Class but A Class is a design designation just as coachbuilt or PVC are other designations.

The little 'Exsis SK/ SG ' by Hymer causes more confusion.......( see thread about 1 week ago)

It looks like an 'A' class but is a coach built?

Underneath the complete fibre glass cab front with 'A Class' type wrap around windscreen and front wings & bonnet is the shell of the Ducato cab complete with roof which is hidden underneath the upper bed structure .

The doors are the original ones - so that gives it better access than most A Class which normally only have one on the passenger side.

The SG was expensive, has 4 belted seats and easily sleeps 4 ( was costly to make and didn't sell enough) and didn't appeal to mainstream. Small yet Tardis like it has more storage than modern 6 m compacts and is much narrower and perhaps too tall at 3.01m

Pity a more modern version perhaps a little longer, still with a longitudinal drop down bed that drops down a little lower couldn't be offered. Wingaam do coach built options..... Not quite right and at a price.

Looks nicer than either a coach built or an A Class- I think.

The term "A Class" was imported from America, where they did also have "B Class" and "C Class" receational vehicles (RVs). A Class has a chassis cowl on to which the motorhome manufacturer builds a complete body, including windscreen and doors. The bigger ones are known in America these days as "Coaches" and the A/B/C classification is much less widely used.

American C Class is equivalent to our "Coachbuilt" and involves a chassis cab, on to which is built a motorhome, usually with a "Luton" above the cab. I think B Class RVs were the American equivalent of panel vans, but I can't really remember.

The only A/B/C terminology which survives in wde usage in UK from the American system is A Class.

Archived